1959 356A S/R coupe project chassis # 108625

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vin panel and vertical wall welding continued:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0253.jpg Views:	0 Size:	185.2 KB ID:	114017 Lateral plug weld run required an extra step of drilling down further into the underside flap to ensure all three layers that comprise this run were thoroughly fused together as found originally.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0256.jpg Views:	0 Size:	198.7 KB ID:	114018 Leading edge flange clamped tight and as you can see a thorough weld penetration was achieved above the access covers. Would have been a PIA to join these panels properly while installed in the car first. So much easier with it mounted to my table and once I figured out that these two panels could go back in as a unit
    the plan was set.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0252.jpg Views:	3 Size:	220.1 KB ID:	114019 A lot of plugs along this run so a nice diversion as that process went was adding the spare tire strap clamp holes back in. Original panel section placed over top to locate them.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0254.jpg Views:	3 Size:	236.9 KB ID:	114020 Plug welds in this area dressed smooth first then the holes were drilled.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0255.jpg Views:	3 Size:	2.10 MB ID:	114021 Not quite centered with the conduit hole but this is where the factory had drilled them. A more important detail other than being perfectly center was that the holes ended up coming through the vertical walls flange for additional strength and support as originally found. Again, far easier performing these tasks out of the car. This redundant detail really appeals to me BTW.
    Last edited by JTR70; 05-09-2023, 08:11 AM.
    Justin Rio

Comment

• Welding completed.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0257.jpg Views:	0 Size:	243.5 KB ID:	114023 First test fit back into the chassis as a unit. Things always change and shift a little after welding and this was no exception. Still have some heads to grind smooth but will continue with that a little at a time as it goes.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0258.jpg Views:	0 Size:	227.7 KB ID:	114024 Will mock up the entire battery box one more time to lock it all in before I seal and paint the inner surfaces of the torsion housing section. After that its finally time to tack this section in for good.

Thanks for looking!

Justin
      Last edited by JTR70; 05-09-2023, 08:14 AM.
      Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin the battery box area just looks fantastic. Now after your detailed explanation on how and why, this bought in assembled repair unit really needs separating, before fitting into place to avoid all the problems both you (and me) could see would happen if you didn't, would it not be a good idea to advise the battery box supplier? To be honest, whilst the repair item looks so well produced and that's no easy task, the fitting of it needs explanation as its so easy to see the problems once you look carefully at it. To be honest I don't think I would have thought about separation just thought it would slot into place with no gaps. Of course Justin its so easy after an event to see the problems and take my word for it is here that your forum is so valuable for others.

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
          JTR70 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks once again Roy! I've delt with this area a couple times before and its just a thing or two you pick up from doing wrong or with mixed results. Yeah, I wouldn't recommend buying it as prefabbed unit nor would I buy the rockers preassembled with the thresholds if given the choice. It all has to be custom fit to the car as it goes. The rule I now follow is that if its a repop part its modified to fit the car and never the other way around. If its preassembled you're really asking for the moon if you believe its going to slide right into place. Not in my world anyway. Justin

• Tow hook installation:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0260.jpg Views:	0 Size:	202.4 KB ID:	114048 Again a lot of peripheral parts to add before it all goes together for the final time and it all has to be done so I'm installing the tow hook now before this new floor goes in for good. Much easier installing it now rather than on the car.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0160.jpg Views:	0 Size:	198.3 KB ID:	114049 The offered tow hook kit comes with the forward reinforcing plate but...
        Click image for larger version  Name:	58ogbatbox.jpg Views:	0 Size:	213.4 KB ID:	114050 What is not offered and an easily overlooked detail is the rear reinforcing strip for the back pair of rivets. Once again the indispensable value of original reference examples. This a '58 T2 and note it still has the narrow T1 battery recess.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0164.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	114051 These are all reproduction parts so the final placement will vary a bit from the original example but I'll get it as close as I can.

Name:	IMG_0163.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	114052 First couple of inches of this center rib will have to be beaten flat so the hook's flange will seat flush. That next...

Thanks for looking!

Justin
        Last edited by JTR70; 05-12-2023, 08:48 AM.
        Justin Rio

Comment

• Tow hook prep:

Name:	IMG_0261.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	114056 Flattening out the rib section where the hook mounting flange will seat.

Name:	IMG_0263.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	114057 Cut my rear gusset out from some 16 gauge which matches the front section that comes with the kit. Plug weld holes tapped and ready to begin welding onto the floor.

Name:	IMG_0264.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	114058 Plug welding complete. Just have to go back and level the heads.

Name:	IMG_0266.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	114059 Tapping the last three holes next.

Justin Rio

Comment

• Bouncing back and fourth between all these battery box parts:

Name:	IMG_0269.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	114061 Weld run joining these panels fully dressed and followed over with my spotter. This unit is finally ready to go in for good but first...

Name:	IMG_0273.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	114062 I had to finish cleaning this compartment of all the missed rust, and tar. Took some doing but spent as much time as I could getting this area clean enough for the epoxy.

Name:	IMG_0275.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	114063 In epoxy

Name:	IMG_0278.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	114064 and an initial coat of semi-gloss black over top. This will not be the final coat as I couldn't get it all entirely covered. Some of it will also be lost when the welding is over.

Name:	IMG_0279.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	114065 My main purpose was just to get a coat of coverage on the top and front of these tubes. Once the walls are in these surfaces will be hard to hit.
            Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0280.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	114067 Once its all welded up and on the rotisserie I'll make sure all the bare spots are covered then a final coat of rocker shultz.

Name:	IMG_0277.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	114069 Then an initial coat to the inside surfaces of the closing panels.

Name:	IMG_0282.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	615.9 KB
ID:	114070 Once dried it was time to begin fitting for the final time.

Name:	IMG_0283.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	114068 After all the welding and heat it had of course changed shape slightly. Messaging it back into the sweet spot.

Thanks for looking!

Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

• It will look perfect Justin but it will take time to put all steering box and all the arms , drums brake gear, petrol tank etc, all back in there. I can see exactly why the restoration costs can go sky high its so demanding if the job is done perfectly. Also just how can you quote for the work involved I just can't work that out. Your expertise is clearly fully stated on this car from start to finish but someone else has the job of spraying and interior I believe? What a responsibility you took on with this project and you just get on and did it!!

I really admire your effort so should the owner ! Its the best restoration thread on any forum I have ever looked at.
                Roy

Comment

• JTR70
                  JTR70 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Can't thank you enough for those nice words Roy I really do appreciate it! My part at the moment is to get all the underside and interior surfaces in a good coat of semi-gloss black then undercoat the areas that would have received the tar coating originally. Then the finished body will go in for final bodywork and paint locally when it goes home. The scope of this restoration would have been very intimidating several years ago but the Coupster build was a real confidence builder and its completion confirmed in my mind at least that I can wiggle out of just about any problem a 356 chassis/body can throw out during the process and now that I have an outfitted cellete bench I could literally start with set of bare torsion housings and build outward from there; given enough time of course. Thank you so very much once again My friend! Justin
                  Last edited by JTR70; 05-16-2023, 09:31 PM.

• Floor and front cross member refitment:
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0287.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.93 MB ID:	114074 Once the rear bulkhead wall was repositioned back into the correct spot the new floor and front cross member where added back into to make sure the entire battery box fits together squarely as a unit. Fortunately I was still able to get the floor and front wall back in without having to separate them.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0286.jpg Views:	3 Size:	194.2 KB ID:	114075 Next was confirming a tight fit with the floors edge against the wall. Then onto templates so I can back fill these shortfalls down both sides of this recess
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0288.jpg Views:	3 Size:	581.4 KB ID:	114076 And along this right side edge where its tapered away short from the beginning.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0290.jpg Views:	3 Size:	588.0 KB ID:	114077 Templates taped securely to the floor so they won't move during removal. Really simple, all they do is represent the leading edge that is needed.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0291.jpg Views:	3 Size:	571.8 KB ID:	114078 As it went some additional lower adjustment was needed to the wall so it snugged up against the floors edge tightly; glad I tested it all once more before I committed to any tack welds. I had to redrill some holes to tweak and hold this final position. High lighted with a marker to make doubly sure this wall stays in this same spot.

Thanks for looking!

Justin
                Last edited by JTR70; 05-17-2023, 08:02 AM.
                Justin Rio

Comment

• Minor floor corrections
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0293.jpg Views:	0 Size:	211.4 KB ID:	114080 Here is how much it needs. Once I traced my final cut line for a butt-joint it was onto metal.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0295.jpg Views:	0 Size:	236.0 KB ID:	114081 New sections added and just about stitched in.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0299.jpg Views:	0 Size:	590.9 KB ID:	114082 Another test fit to make sure the edges where snug against the wall before going further.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0298.jpg Views:	0 Size:	577.0 KB ID:	114083 Ready to move onto the next step. Floor and front wall will come out one more time for weld finishing and tow hook installation. Simultaneously I can finally begin welding the ID panel and rear wall sections in for good. After all this repair and preparation work its now headed towards final installation time.

Thanks for looking!

Justin
                  Last edited by JTR70; 05-18-2023, 08:04 PM.
                  Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin, its no wonder these 356A cars were so expensive over here in the UK. I remember well, looking near my school in the showroom of AFN , the main UK Porsche importer in 1958 just before
                    I left school for the final time . They had a new 356 sitting there at just over £2,000 At that time it was considerably more expensive than a Jaguar. Never thought I would own one. But this front battery box area is when you study all of it, is quite complex. A lot of design work went into the front end of a 356. Seeing it all coming together on this one makes you realise for then , in the 1950's as a relativily small company Porsche did well to produce them. Only when you get a chance to look closely at this current project of yours, can you see effort required to get it right.

Roy

Comment

• Was AFN the Dicky Stoops Dealership Roy? You are correct, they are very intricate but at the same time simple if that makes any sense. Construction would have been much more pleasant back in the day with fresh pieces of purpose built steel and dedicated holding jigs. Always easier no matter what it is to build from new versus damage repair. Roy, your car wouldn't still have its original tow hook assembly would it?
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0266.jpg Views:	0 Size:	198.0 KB ID:	114086 I really need an underside shot of an original to determine if the hooks mounting flange was completely flat like this new one above or if it had relief shapes pressed in to accommodate the center rib shoulders. If I mount it as is I'll have to completely flatten the entire area including the reinforcement top side for a flush fit.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	58ogbatbox.jpg Views:	0 Size:	213.4 KB ID:	114087 According to this photo the rib shape was not flattened at all under the tow hook. Any info on what the other side looked like originally would be most appreciated. Thanks for any help. Justin

Update:

Name:	tow_hook_3_.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	114088
                      According to this T5 shot from Deluxe customs the hook never sat flush. I may have over thought this one. The A's would most likely be the same but can you still confirm Roy?
                      Thanks! Justin
                      Last edited by JTR70; 05-20-2023, 12:18 AM.
                      Justin Rio

Comment

• Tow hook mounting correction:
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0302.jpg Views:	0 Size:	219.2 KB ID:	114091 Rib shoulder pounded back out with the three forward holes reset and tapped.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0303.jpg Views:	0 Size:	208.1 KB ID:	114092 Rear edge of the mounting flange now stands off as shown on that T5 original example. I assumed a flush fit but that is obviously not how Reutter mounted them so never mind what I think.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0305.jpg Views:	0 Size:	211.3 KB ID:	114093 The problem with this tilt is that the rear mounts are well over an inch away from the panel which is partly why I assumed a flat and even mounting. I hate just heeling them over to touch so I'm going to cut the welds and reset the hook in relation to its flange for a cleaner final presentation instead of a "forced fit". Just a tow hook I know but I still don't want it to look like shit under here.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0306.jpg Views:	0 Size:	208.9 KB ID:	114094 This will also give me the opportunity to adjust the hook downward a few MM's as the rivets are interfering with the cross brace flange. Part of getting all of these repro parts to fit together correctly.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0300.jpg Views:	0 Size:	204.2 KB ID:	114090 Bouncing back and fourth to stitch up that long run on the Id panel where it was removed. Back in its original position as the drilled out spots along the side confirm. Finishing out the battery box floor next.

Thanks for looking!

Justin
                        Last edited by JTR70; 05-22-2023, 08:46 AM.
                        Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin, I will look at my tow hook later today still factory fresh and advise my comments. AFN in London stood for Archie Frazer Nash . They built before the war Frazer Nash cars some of them Chain Driven.

After the war they concentrated on getting the Porsche dealership for the UK and got it from around 1952/3 and also BMW motor cycles. Dickie Stoop was a customer of AFN then owned by the Aldington Brothers. Dickie a keen racer bought his 904 Porsche from them. He died a long time ago now.

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
                            JTR70 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks for the refresh Roy. I now remember that bit of history being discussed several years ago.

• Justin, I have sent you a photo of my factory fitted towhook direct to your personal e-mail. Sorry but I took this photo some years ago and its been saved my WIN10 from my old WIn XP. I managed to get it moved on my documents and it really needs enlarging to see very clearly the way they did it.

Sorry I have not been sending pics to the forum for long time and I am not sure now how to do ity!!! Its my age mate, Hope you find the photo of use !!

Roy

Name:	roy356.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	114102
                          Last edited by JTR70; 05-24-2023, 05:42 PM.

Comment

• JTR70
                            JTR70 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            A perfect shot Roy, thank you digging this one out and sending it to me! This one along with that T5 shot earlier provides all the needed confirmation that my final configuration is correct; or at least good enough. The gas welds depicted in the corners are also helpful. Your car has faired quite well in such a wet climate. Thanks again my friend!
                            Justin
                        Working...
                        X