No announcement yet.

1959 356A S/R coupe project chassis # 108625

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justin, this is incredibly cool. Celette system is the ultimate go/no-go tool, beautiful that you can buy new fixtures from R-D. The ghosts of the Reuter Karosserie metalworkers are cheering you on. All the metal relief you’re doing, step by step … us readers can feel the tension in the sheet metal gradually getting relaxed. Seriously, just as good as it gets, as all your work. I’m forwarding it to friends. Best wishes, John

Comment

• JTR70
      JTR70 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks very much John! As expensive as it was to outfit its been an incredible point of reference. The fixtures I believe are made in Europe and R.D. markets them. They're very nice but still needed a few adjustments on the rear jigs. Oh man, it relaxed a bit but eventually it would give me no more and I had to resort to some relief cutting which I'll share next. It was all quite the challenge. I appreciate you forwarding this thread onto anyone who might be interested. Thanks again for all the great words of support you guys, it is always appreciated! Justin

• Secondary advantage for the removal of the trunk floor.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9874.jpg Views:	0 Size:	231.4 KB ID:	113691 Both sides of the leading edge are folded over vertical wall flange then heavily spot welded as you can see above. Don't know if it will be successful but will try drilling this underside first to hopefully reopen this lip and get it to lift off of the original wall's flange remains. If I can get that far I'll be able to grind the flange remains away. Thats the plan for now anyway. If that fails I'll have to add a new section on.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9876.jpg Views:	0 Size:	193.2 KB ID:	113692 The center portion of the flange is fortunately open and accessible but as you can see there was an earlier attempt to remove it but they went too far with the grinder. Same issue I was left with on the tunnel flanges. Hate that this happened so close to the ID number but it will have to be repaired.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9860.jpg Views:	0 Size:	189.3 KB ID:	113693 The final advantage will be joining these two together first once the repair and prep are completed. It will be far easier and cleaner to join them before the floor goes back into the car.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9873.jpg Views:	3 Size:	576.1 KB ID:	113694 But first, back to getting this side of the beam back into spec. The main culprit is that upper corner just in front of the drain tube.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9868.jpg Views:	3 Size:	742.1 KB ID:	113695 Here is the back side of that area where it remains bunched up and swollen. Again a clean shot at this area with the trunk floor gone.

Thanks for looking!

Justin
    Last edited by JTR70; 02-28-2023, 08:08 PM.
    Justin Rio

Comment

• Various pull attempts:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9871.jpg Views:	0 Size:	228.5 KB ID:	113697 Back to repeated pulls and releases while tapping on the remaining deformation on that upper corner.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9878.jpg Views:	0 Size:	574.3 KB ID:	113698 I had the beam outward far enough but it was still bucked upward; I needed a straight down pull angle. A clean downward angle pull required the removal of the fixture and the outrigger base plank. A bit of a process but no way around it. Chassis is once again chalked and supported with that scissor jack at the bulkhead in preparation for this pull.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9881.jpg Views:	3 Size:	218.2 KB ID:	113699 A baseline was marked at 8 inches off of the bench surface to track the downward movement. It needed to come down about an 8th inch. Not asking for much.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9879.jpg Views:	3 Size:	474.7 KB ID:	113700 After several pulls and releases it always seemed to just spring right back. Another issue was as it was being pulled down the beam also went backwards slightly. Very disappointed and frustrating to say the least.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9882.jpg Views:	3 Size:	218.4 KB ID:	113701 By the final attempt I really cranked down on it and went almost a 1/2 inch further than needed hoping this would overcome most the spring back and land it in close to the 8th inch gain I was looking for.
      Last edited by JTR70; 03-06-2023, 10:07 PM.
      Justin Rio

Comment

• Another round:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9892.jpg Views:	0 Size:	208.7 KB ID:	113703 Plank and fixture reinstalled to see what if anything was gained. It was improved but as you can see its still a few MM's up too high. Again, I could loosen the base bolts, raise the fixture, insert the pins and synch the bolts back down for a mock up fit under tension but that's not what I'm after. I need a tension free pin insertion when its all over; especially at the bottom beam.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9889.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	113704 I had pretty much chased out any noteworthy deformation up here by this point. The next plan was cutting this lap joint full open to hopefully give me that last few MM's I needed.

Name:	IMG_9887.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	113705 I had to get at the topside of this lap joint so a little more of the trunk floor corner had to be peeled up.

Name:	IMG_9888.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	113706 Alot of spot welds holding this lapped flange together so there wasn't much left of it once I got it apart.

Name:	IMG_9880.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	569.3 KB
ID:	113707 Fixture and plank removed again for another downward pull attempt to gain that last few MM's
        Last edited by JTR70; 03-06-2023, 10:24 PM.
        Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9891.jpg Views:	0 Size:	238.7 KB ID:	113709 With its back broken at that upper flange it came down with much less effort than before.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9890.jpg Views:	0 Size:	219.2 KB ID:	113710 Fixture and plank reinstalled and...about the same pin alignment. But now, as you can see all of this downward pulling was putting a wave in the lower portion of the wall just below the brake line tab footprint and just ahead of the bulkhead wall. It was beginning to go sideways on me and was becoming apparent that the last few MM's I was trying to gain was probably in behind the bulkhead area which is now set in stone with the floors and longitudinals fully installed. This is a catch 22 as I wouldn't have dared to crank on this frame with almost no structural integrity through the cabin area.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	insp356139.jpg Views:	0 Size:	155.7 KB ID:	113712 An exaggeration, but I had visions of this old photo that Vance had posted if I'd attempted a pull on this body with minimal structural integrity through the center. BTW: Doesn't the look on that dogs face say it all...
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9918.jpg Views:	0 Size:	177.3 KB ID:	113711 The slight dent and bite mark from chain shows just how much load was being put through this side just to get this far.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9877.jpg Views:	0 Size:	251.9 KB ID:	113713 At this point I was exploring other options as it was clear that the wall wasn't going to stretch much further. I was desperately trying to avoid cutting it so the idea came to drill out the spots along the beam flange to free it from the wall and reposition it where it was needed. I started drilling but the spots are bigger and very numerous. Factory spots are tough and these bigger ones are even tougher...After about an hour in I gave up on this approach. Glad I stopped before I had cut into that donut securing the root of the bump stop.
          Last edited by JTR70; 03-06-2023, 11:26 PM.
          Justin Rio

Comment

• Last resort:
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9893.jpg Views:	0 Size:	221.9 KB ID:	113715 I was at my end by this point, between all the time and effort lost on repeated pulls and that final beam loosening try.. I just cut the damn thing. As much as I tried to avoid it I was out of time and patience. Time to move on.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9869.jpg Views:	0 Size:	436.0 KB ID:	113716 Making more space to work. The upper closing wall is badly wrinkled up front and all along the top of its flange at the fender.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9908.jpg Views:	0 Size:	445.0 KB ID:	113717 Its also rusted out as it disappears behind trunk wall and into the door well. Thought about saving it but it will be cleaner as a full replacement.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9897.jpg Views:	0 Size:	144.7 KB ID:	113718 Only the top of cowl would be holding this fender on through that replacement and the eventual repair of its leading edge.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9896.jpg Views:	0 Size:	162.5 KB ID:	113719 There's rust lurking under the cowl area too so removal of the fender was an easy decision. More on this next.

Thanks for looking!

Justin

Last edited by JTR70; 03-06-2023, 11:39 PM.
            Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9905.jpg Views:	0 Size:	224.2 KB ID:	113721 Fender and most of the upper closing wall removed giving me a clear shot at the frame panel. Back to that repair now.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9899.jpg Views:	0 Size:	220.6 KB ID:	113722 After the relief cut this side of the beam was finally positioned correctly without load or tension. Lower vertical cut has now been back filled and mostly welded up except that last bit of upper flange. As you can see it was almost there but I just couldn't get the wall to give me that last 5MM or so. This is such a critical and compromised area with both a lower horizontal weld joint and now a vertical run that I felt it necessary to add in a back up plate to support this section and these weld joints.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9898.jpg Views:	3 Size:	210.6 KB ID:	113723 Developing the paper template that will back up most of these weld joints while remaining concealed and undetectable under the factory gusset. I also wanted it long enough to overlap and go well pasthe toe-board bulk-head wall junction for additional strength .
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9903.jpg Views:	3 Size:	240.2 KB ID:	113724 Onto metal and its 18 gauge of course.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9910.jpg Views:	3 Size:	210.9 KB ID:	113725 Final shape and numerus plug weld holes added for a thorough attachment along the wall. A bit more lower wall prep before this can go in but close.
              Last edited by JTR70; 03-08-2023, 10:20 PM.
              Justin Rio

Comment

• Lower wall prep complete.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9913.jpg Views:	0 Size:	239.5 KB ID:	113727 Vertical welds complete and dressed.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9912.jpg Views:	0 Size:	222.1 KB ID:	113728 Made sure the weld penetration was thorough on both sides. After all the tugging and cutting I ended up with a bit of an air gap here but will back fill it once the reinforcement plate is in for an additional attachment point.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9914.jpg Views:	0 Size:	251.5 KB ID:	113729 Ready to begin plug-welding this plate on working from the center outward.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9916.jpg Views:	0 Size:	249.8 KB ID:	113730 A lot of holes to fill and it wasn't quite finished yet. A quick seam weld across the vertical weld joint for additional peace of mind. As the welding progressed I did repeated "pin pulls" to make sure the beam was staying put. The bottom pin is aligning perfectly and slips right in and out. The top still wants to lean back just a touch but the top of this wall hasn't been set at this point so not an issue and remains well within striking distance.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9915.jpg Views:	0 Size:	218.3 KB ID:	113731 My little unauthorized addition will lurk under the factory gusset in total secrecy from either side of this wall once the work is completed.
                Last edited by JTR70; 03-08-2023, 10:51 PM.
                Justin Rio

Comment

• Lower wall repairs complete.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9920.jpg Views:	0 Size:	213.9 KB ID:	113733 Plate fully welded in completing the repairs out here.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9921.jpg Views:	0 Size:	582.1 KB ID:	113734 Welds cleaned and dressed back here. Final finishing and trim to the lower flange end to carry on the original wall line.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9923.jpg Views:	3 Size:	212.4 KB ID:	113735 Original gusset remounted and aligned with its original spot welds and set screwed into position to dial in the repairs.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9924.jpg Views:	3 Size:	193.8 KB ID:	113736 Reproductions of this gusset are only 20 gauge so the plan was always to rebuild the bottom run of this original part.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9925.jpg Views:	3 Size:	206.0 KB ID:	113737 The very versatile perimeter repair flange section will become the new bottom of this gusset. In 18 gauge of course. This repair shortly but headed to the top of this wall to finish up those repairs first.

Thanks for looking!

Justin
                  Last edited by JTR70; 03-08-2023, 11:16 PM.
                  Justin Rio

Comment

• Upper wall and flange repair:

Name:	IMG_9927.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	113742 Backfilling the gap and rebuilding the upper lap joint to replicate what was there.

Name:	IMG_9931.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	113743 Tedious process prep of grinding and drilling spot welds to remove the remains of the original upper closing wall's flange.

Name:	IMG_9933.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	113744 Flange remains to either side cleared for the repair but the rest of the run still needs to be peeled; later on.

Name:	IMG_9935.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	113745 Removing just enough on the right side to get past the damage.

Name:	IMG_9937.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	113746 Cleaned back and now repeating the process on the left side.

Justin Rio

Comment

• Upper wall repair continued:

Name:	IMG_9938.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	113748 Touched bottom and ready to build this joint back up.

Name:	IMG_9940.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	113749 Left side flange first and tied back into the bulkhead wall. Right side next which will lay over top.

Name:	IMG_9951.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	113750 Backfilling and lap joint complete. Lapped edge detail in front of the drain tube replicated as found.

Name:	IMG_9947.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	113751 Internal tie in with the interior bulkhead wall complete.

Name:	IMG_9948.jpg
Size:	557.2 KB
ID:	113752 Weld repairs to this wall finally complete, both sides.
                      Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9952.jpg Views:	0 Size:	212.9 KB ID:	113754 Not a fan of that lap joint especially up there in that tight corner and just in front of that strong diagonal step shape that the edge of the toe board lays against. It just invites collapse as it did in the last wreck but maybe that's by their design?? Anyway, my job is to make it look as factory correct in the end as I can but like below I'll add some muscle in where I can when its not detectable.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9887.jpg Views:	2 Size:	205.7 KB ID:	113755 The original lap overlayed by only a few MM's. In the first photo you can see I increased the overlap by well over a quarter inch. This adds a little more strength and contact area over what was there before but will look 100% correct once the new upper wall flange gets mounted and wrapped over top of this area.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9958.jpg Views:	0 Size:	219.3 KB ID:	113756 Reinstalling the brake line tab after a quick soak in acid to get the last bits of rust that was down in the contact surface. Set screwed back into its original footprint.

Name:	IMG_9953.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	113757 Building the new floor for the original gusset next.

Thanks for looking!

Justin
                        Last edited by JTR70; 03-11-2023, 08:07 AM.
                        Justin Rio

Comment

• Gusset repair:
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9955.jpg Views:	0 Size:	213.3 KB ID:	113759 Swoopy shaped section traced, cut out and ready to stitch it back together here.

Name:	IMG_9956.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	113760 One more flange adjustment to go back here but the opposite as it needs to be stretched to make the turn.

Name:	IMG_9959.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	113761 Begin paper templates to establish the final trim line on the new gusset floor. I was missing the luxury of rotisserie during this process.

Name:	IMG_9960.jpg
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	113762 Excess trimmed to final shape with the frame flange allowing the first full test fit of this new section.

Name:	IMG_9961.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	113763 Gusset and repair section all stitched together.
                          Last edited by JTR70; 03-12-2023, 08:27 PM.
                          Justin Rio

Comment

• Gusset install:
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9963.jpg Views:	0 Size:	216.5 KB ID:	113765 Dismount one more time for final surface prep.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9964.jpg Views:	0 Size:	229.2 KB ID:	113766 Inner surfaces slathered in epoxy. Most of it should survive after welding.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9966.jpg Views:	0 Size:	238.8 KB ID:	113767 Mounted on for good and ready to begin the plug welds.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9965.jpg Views:	0 Size:	210.7 KB ID:	113768 I have very limited access to the bottom with the car mounted to the bench. These plugs will have to wait until its mounted back on the rotisserie . I also can't install the new cross brace either.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9970.jpg Views:	0 Size:	248.3 KB ID:	113769 Begin plugs working from the center outward.

Thanks for looking!

Justin
                            Last edited by JTR70; 03-12-2023, 09:02 PM.
                            Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin what asn exercise in patience! That repair is so good I recon when finally painted it will look as original. Really well done on that and the photos and the repair text. I bet you went through a lot of head scratching trying to resolve all that and a long time to put down in writing to make sense for us to read.

A great result . I am so lucky to have those area's still original on mine !!
                              Roy

Comment

• JTR70
                                JTR70 commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Thank you Roy! It was a bit taxing to rehash it all and put it down into text; especially the trial and error phase but I wanted to show exactly what has gone into this car at all stages. You definitely have to be thankful that your car has never been hit hard in the front or severally rusty. Thanks again. Justin
                            Working...
                            X