No announcement yet.

valve spring retainers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jack, I've been married to a wonderful women for 45 years I think that qualifies me as a expert.
    yes I kept asking about the keepers and retainers and you set me straight on them. maybe my wording was a little off
    EMD fun to work on but everything is BIG, we had 12 and 16 turbo and roots.1 power pack cyl, piston, rod, and head are 500#.
    I may rethink this a little, I could put the retainers in the lathe and remove the .25 from the raised area on the underside of the retainer. it would just take some time to make a fixture to hold them, but I've been thinking of something.

Comment

NOW, this is getting to be FUN!

We can call it "Fun with Valves".... like Sheldon Cooper's "Fun with Flags."

I had to think about it for a second, but "ICE" has taken on a whole new acronymical meaning. "Internal Combustion Engine" has been around for a while, the other used to be called "INS".....

For me, I have been married to THREE wonderful women, all making me a Sexpert with the first being my first initial undergrad degree (after copious, a-hem, high school level bachelor's work...the second was was my Master's and my third being my Doctorate....now, just hanging on a wall, draped in black. Who knows....I may someday get an additional Honorarium...if that is awarded via a dream sequence.

Nah, I'm more likely to dream about some challenge in a 356-something that I need to solve.....hell, even with all three, I have dreamed of having my shop on a barge and living on a tug. Move nomadically with the seasons, Maine to Florida or Canada to Mexico, east or west.

Now back to your regularly scheduled technical discussion.....forgive my intrusion.
      Bruce

Comment

Surprised this topic is still going on...I thought you had the answer a month ago...."B" retainers which should be compatible with your new springs and your "A" valves and keepers. You said you were going to order one retainer and try it out to see what amount of shimming you would need....did you ever do that?

Comment

no Alan I haven't but I'm going to get one coming Monday. there only 6.00 and some change at least i'll have one in hand so I can actually verify if it will work or not.
          Jay D.
          Bruce, I always enjoy reading your commentaries.

Comment

Jay, Glad you have one coming....I think you will find it will work fine. I suspect about 99 percent of "A"'s have this setup by now. Do you have a tool to measure the length between the head and the retainer to know what shims are required for the correct installed spring length? The tool makes it easy, but can be done other ways.

Comment

no, I don't have the tool but I can make something that will work.
              Thanks Jay D.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_37581.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	88727

Name:	IMG_37591.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	88728

Name:	IMG_37601.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	88729

I've had this tool for a while (like about 40 years). Calibrated from 36 to 44 mm.

Anyone need it.....(cheap)?

-Bruce

Comment

how much and how can I pay for it?
                  Jay D.

Comment

Hi Jay,

Let's communicate by email; bbspdstr@aol.com

Thanks,
                    Bruce

Comment

email sent.
                      Jay D.

Comment

Jay, sorry, I have yet to receive an email about the valve spring tool.

Best regards,
                        Bruce

Comment

just did send a second email its the same adrs. as the first and they are correct. also my email says sent, but let me know if you get it my email server is a little sketchy to say the least.
                          Jay D.

Comment

try me at jjdarlington@chgarter.net
                            Jay D.

Comment

Working...
                            X