No announcement yet.

Dad's old '66

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks alot Steve! It has been tough getting our heads around actually letting this car go but again tough choices have to be made. I also have to be very realistic as far as my time and resouces go. At the rate I'm going how many of my cars am I actually going to finish before time runs out? Sadly I'll be lucky to get my two 356 projects done.
    Thanks again Steve!!

5/16/17

Getting ready to put her back on the old steel wheels.

Click image for larger version

Name:	911stash105.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	88567
    Found something really cool while sifting through old paperwork trying to locate the cars title. Its an old recipt from automotion, care of Foreign Auto Supply (remember them?) dated April 13, 1968 for a set of Semperit tires.

Name:	911stash098.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	88565
    This is one of two from that old set that managed to hang around all these years.

Name:	911stash099.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	88566
    End of the road for them today as its off to the tire shop for some fresh rubber so I can roll this car around.
    Justin Rio

Comment

new rubber

Name:	911stash107.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	88569
      Wasn't picky about the tires or brand as I just needed them to be round and hold air. These are 175-65's and they look pretty nice on those narrow 4.5 inch wheels. The original chrome BTW cleaned up pretty nice. Not perfect and one of the wheels of course did not fare as well as the other three but they are all really nice driver quality. These have been rolling around loose and where of course not stored carefully for over 40 years. Like most people we didn't care about those ugly old steel wheels; Porsche alloy's was what is was all about then. Fortunately the dry desert climate saved us from our mistake.

Name:	911stash106.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	88570
      All the wheels here are Lemmerz but the wierd thing is two are dated 7/65 and the other two are 8/65. The spare(not pictured)is actually a KPZ in chrome. Through my 356 experience they should all match perfectly but these for whatever reason do not. This is how it left the factory as these are the wheels that have always been with this car and we certainly never bought any additional steel wheels. It was Porsche alloy's only. We didn't care about the hubcaps either. I've only managed to find one but I'm optimistic I'll find the rest.

Name:	old66077.JPG
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	88571
      One more from waaay back, 1972ish when both me and this car were much newer. The car was in need of tires then too.

Thanks for looking!
      Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

The car is looking great, Justin. I'm a new member kindly directed to this thread by your friend on Pelican Parts. Super interested in your car. Very few of these really early cars down under in Australia.

Comment

Justin:
          Great picture of you and the '66 in 1972. I see the decos and the slanted 911 insignia were still on the car then. Just classic!
          Steve
          Steve Clarke
          '65 C coupe
          '73 911

Comment

Thanks Jonothan and Welcome along here!

Thank you Steve! Sure wish I could find that old 911 emblem. Its there somewhere.
            Thanks again you guys!
            Justin

5/22/17
            A major moving day on the 17th. To get both this car and the 67 Targa ready meant reassembling the targa as best as possible for shipping and swaping back some major components that my father used to keep this car running through the 1980's. This definitely could not be performed on site so I had to enlist the help of my long time childhood friend Eric to help me with both transport and the use of his shop lift to have any real chance of getting it accomplished.

Name:	911stash112.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	88704
            Targa was extracted first. Some shiny chrome rims and fresh tires sure brightened its outlook even in its current state. Click image for larger version

Name:	911stash113.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	88705
            Thats my buddy Eric in the background. I was and still am so grateful for all his help with this mess. I'd have been up shits creek without him.

Name:	911stash115.JPG
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	88706
            Loaded up and almost ready to make the 2.5 hour trip back home. Eric wanted to knock it out and get both cars moved that day. 2 hours there, 2 hours back, 2 times = at least 8 hours on the road not including all the futzing in between. It was a very long day.

Name:	911stash116.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	88707
            Eric had the brilliant forethought of staging the '66 before we left with the targa. He said, lets get it all done now before we're really spent so when we get back all we have to do is loaded up. So glad I brought him. In process of swaping tires with the Targa here. So glad we did it sooner rather than later, it was a PIA to get it as my Dad had them packed together tight as a deterrent.

Name:	911stash118.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	88708
            It wasn't easy but we managed to get the new tires on it and pushed out without damage.

Name:	911stash120.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	88709
            All teed up and ready for our return. Sooo glad we did it before hand; Good thinking Eric!

Name:	911stash123.JPG
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	88710
            Headed out with the targa. Its literally been 40 years since this car has left this place. More later and thanks for reading this!
            Justin
            Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	911stash124.JPG
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	88749
              Made it back right at dusk with just enough light left to get her loaded up.

Name:	911stash125.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	88750
              Had to use the winch this time as it was a little heavier than the targa.

Name:	911stash126.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	88751
              Got a little sad loading this one up and it was almost as if my father had passed and we were just in the middle of handling his affairs. Once it came back to me that he is very much still here it was still sad but nothing compared to doing this after the fact I can certainly imagine. I may well have not been inclined to let it go; So in some respect I am relieved to be doing this now.

Name:	911stash128.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	88752
              About ready to make the trip home. We began at 7:00AM and didn't roll in until about 11:30PM so needless to say it was it was a long one!

Name:	911stash129.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	88753
              Unloaded the following morning to begin the transfer of parts.

Name:	911stash132.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	88754
              Eric to the rescue once again with his wonderfully appointed shop with a bitchen lift. What an absolute luxury not having to drop the drivetrain on our backs. I owe him big time and will certainly compensate him well for all of his help! Got a good look at that old rear accident damage and as you might well of guessed, its bit more serious than I first thought. More later...
              Thanks for looking!
              Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	911stash133.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	88758
                Yeah, once we got the motor out it became very clear how much damage the cross member took. That later...

Name:	911stash139.JPG
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	88759
                Wasn't all bad news getting it up in the air. I was able to affirm definitvely of what I always knew. The pans are solid and cherry with 90% of the original undercoating intact.

Name:	911stash138.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	88760
                Gas heater conduit didn't fare as well but there might be a replacemtn section offered? I just don't know 911's...

Name:	911stash140.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	88761
                Back section in the same condition as the rest.

Name:	911stash134.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	88762
                All solid around the rear torsion houings.

Name:	911stash135.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	88763
                Both sides..

Name:	911stash142.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	88764
                Trunk floor also solid

Name:	911stash137.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	88765
                no cancer in and around the front suspension points.

Name:	911stash136.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	88766
                Only mild surface rust where the coating flaked.

Name:	911stash181.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	88770
                flaking due to all those years of battery acid exposure. Battery box area remains in very good condition.

Name:	911stash182.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	88771
                A small hole started at the ledge where that metal clip is but otherwise its in amazingly good condition and will not warrant replacing; just some minor repair.

Name:	911stash183.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	88772

Name:	911stash143.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	88767
                Lateral light conduits solid.

Name:	911stash144.JPG
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	88768
                both sides.

Name:	911stash145.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	88769
                front splash pan area; no issues.

Name:	911stash141.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	88773
                As good as it is under here I did find some rot once we pulled the motor which I'll share later. Its a 50 year old Porsche so I wasn't too suprised but based on what I was finding under here I was shocked to find some rust.
                Pulling the drive train next.
                Thanks for looking!
                Justin
                Justin Rio

Comment

WOW! Living in Nevada has its advantages.

My old '66 never looked that good underneath, and it was only 10 years old when I bought it. My old Webasto exhaust was long gone by then. I think the parts are still available, but pricey. When I got my Webasto running I just used Home Depot copper tubing.

The car is missing the cover plate that protects the transverse member, steering gear, master cylinder, steering damper, etc. They tend to get bashed up if you run over anything big. Pretty minor considering the car is over 50 years old!

Can't wait to see the running gear.
                  Steve
                  Steve Clarke
                  '65 C coupe
                  '73 911

Comment

Thanks for the education Steve. I completely missed that its a tiny little exhaust system for the heater; how cute. Have no idea what happened to the cover you described. Thats probably been MIA since the 70's. Thanks again for the help.
                    Justin

Pulling the drivetrain

Name:	911stash146.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	88794
                    Half-shafts and exhaust system dropped and just about ready to remove.

Name:	911stash147.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	88795
                    removal went relatively smoothly. Not having to lay on the ground made all the differrence.

Name:	911stash148.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	88796
                    20 years worth of blow sand accumulation to remove first.

Name:	911stash149.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	88797
                    Getting this trans swapped out for the original was one of the main priorities.

Name:	911stash150r.JPG
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	88798
                    Motor now cleaned off enough to open the chain boxes so they and the cam towers can be swapped for the original and correct center lube units.
                    That next, Thanks for looking!
                    Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

Justin:

In looking at some of the pictures I finally noticed that the electrical tape decos were replaced with 911S style decos at some point. Nice.

If you swap out the cam towers do you have everything you need for the swap? I think you will need the original center-lube cams, oil lines, their fittings, and the chain box covers, along with a block-off plate for the dual fuel pump.

The later cams cannot live in a center-lube tower, they need the oil line that runs down the top of the tower.

Steve
                      Steve Clarke
                      '65 C coupe
                      '73 911

Comment

Yeah electrical tape Steve , thats the way my father did things and it used to drive me crazy; which is probably the reason I get so obsessed with having things a certain way on my cars. Probably to a fault.

Name:	swt67107.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	89537
                        Agree, standard cams won't live long in a center lube tower. My aim is not get the '66 engine running but only to see that all of the original and correct components get back to the right engine before the targa was shipped. Original Targa drive train here with correct trans back on it with its correct cam towers, cams and chain boxes.

Name:	swt67112.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	89538
                        drivetrain installed for shipping. With the chassis so compromised I got concerned with the weight hanging off back here so the head assemblies where put up front.

Name:	swt67121.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	89539
                        The rest of the car was roughly assembled and packed with the all the original parts I could round up after being apart for 40 years.

Name:	swt67127.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	89540
                        Ready for a wrapping.

Name:	swt67133.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	89541
                        wrapped and ready

Name:	swt67140.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	89542
                        Loaded up

Name:	swt67141.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	89543
                        and on its way to the new owner. It was a bit sad to see it go after all these years but it requires a ton of work and I was never realistically going to ever get to it.
                        Justin Rio

Comment

7/1/17
                          Copy of the original Kardex for my Dad's car!

Ric at Rusty Tubs was able to pull some strings and got me a copy! An almost impossible thing to pull off these days so my sincerest thanks to him once again!

Name:	911stash180.JPG
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	89633
                          This car was completed on September 29th 1965 and sold new on October 3, 1965.

Name:	IMG_4886.JPG
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	89632
                          Unlike most Kardex I've seen this one had a lot service history written on it. I thought my father was the second owner but it seems Wolf Shielow(?) & Co. was the original purchaser. E.J. Judel(?) was the young Mormon kid who a purchased this car second hand. What was most interesting was finding my fathers name on this old record as the third owner out of Salt Lake City. Note the X's by Dad's and EJ's name; they seem to note who brought the car in for its final two services on this record.
                          Having the opportunity to get my hands on this old record was worth every penny.
                          Thanks for looking!
                          Justin
                          Justin Rio

Comment

Justin:
                            Having the kardex is pretty cool.I don't want to know who you have to kill to get one. I saw mine for the '65C at Rennsport III, but of course they wouldn't let me have it.

By the way, Judd is an old Mormon name.

I'm still trying to convince you to keep the car.
                            Steve
                            Steve Clarke
                            '65 C coupe
                            '73 911

Comment

I read Stielow. and Siesmayerstrasse in Frankfurt a/M. Googling that reveals a company but not at that address. Anyway it's 50 years ago.

Comment

interested in the red 911, rusty tubs said to contact you via this post, can you email me your contact details please so we can discuss the car my email is classicandvintagecarlocators@yahoo.com thanks jude.

Comment

Working...
                                X