No announcement yet.

Dad's old '66

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had an olds, a Buick, a Fury to name a few as well. It sounds like we are about the same vintage if your wardrobe looked anything like mine. Good catch on the line of trees, they were intended to buffer the prevailing Westerly winds. Lots a parallels with us for sure.
    Thanks David!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	old66055.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	64480

Name:	old66058.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	64481
    The above shots were taken by my father probably about 1981 or '82. He'd wash and detail the car in the morning before my mother would take it to work. Note the Black electrical tape bumper trim.

Name:	old66083.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	64482
    There's my mom is just getting ready to head out. This car was her daily driver for almost 10 years. It was a 60 mile round trip so this car had seen some considerable mileage through the 70's and 80's. She worked for Alpha-Beta Grocery during this time and eventually moved up from cashier to management. She was one of the "blue coats" as they'd call them. We were so proud. Thanks for looking!
    Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	dads66008.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	65450
      Another old shot from 1974. My very first dog, a beautiful German Shepard. You can see my dad and good 'ole Uncle Bob Hagen having yet another look under the deck lid of his 911. Bob was an avid SCCA Racecar driver in the 60's and campaigned a Sunbeam Tiger and a Bug-eyed Sprite. He was a terminal gearhead like my Dad so whenever they got together this is where you'd always find these guys. There were several stories through these years where before the wives knew what was going on these two would have the motor out of the car. As you might have guessed they were none to happy about it. You can also my current coupe project to the right: motorless and sitting on four flat tires off to the side of the yard. Except for about maybe 3 months in '79 this is the state of condition it existed in. Thanks for looking! Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

Man Justin, talk about Memory Lane! I am glad I found this post, I really enjoyed it.
        Tony
        "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Name:	dads66002.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	87881
          There has been a few new developments so it looks like will be selling this old girl. I hope we find her a good home after 50 years of being in our family.
          Justin Rio

Comment

4/27/17
            Barn finding in our own "barn"

Set today aside to go out and begin prepping the car and to get the motor and chassis # so I could determine exactly when in '66 it was built and sold. As this was our daily driver through the 70's and 80's the targa unfortunately became the "Parts Car" to keep it going so there are several things I need to switch before it sells. The transmission, steering wheel and bumperetts/decos immediately come to mind.

Name:	911stash001.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	87906
            To get the ID #'s meant getting inside first. The car has been locked for at least 20 years and the tumblers where frozen. It took some time but I eventually got the left side to open first but as you can see there just isn't room to get in. Had to get the right side to open and not twist the key off in there while I did it.

Name:	911stash002.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	87907
            Quick peek inside; two decades of silt and blow sand build up. Leather horn button cover is only a shadow of its former self allowing the padding to fall free.

Name:	911stash003.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	87908
            Pretty cripsy back here too but the trade off is a dry rust free chassis and body. I'd take that any day of the week.

Name:	911stash004.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	87909
            Finally got the right side to open up.

Name:	911stash005.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	87910
            Extremely dusty in here. My father installed those knarly speakers and the 8-track player back in '78. The Rumors album by Fleetwood Mac and the Saturday Night fever sound track are indelibly etch in my mind because of that old set up in there. The seats are not correct as they were Pomona swap meet specials but again we do have the original and correct seats for it and the original wood wheel though it desperately needs restoration. So it matches the rest of the car.

Name:	911stash006.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	87911
            Original headliner very tired as well.

Name:	911stash008.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	87912
            Found one item I came for; the original service manual and records still in the old burgandy dust cover. Another item I remember from childhood. I'll post the Vin and what I found insde next. Here's a hint; this car is a very early '66.

Thanks for looking!
            Justin
            Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	911stash012.JPG
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	87924
              With access to the inside I could finally get the trunk open to record the VIN #. Thats the OG carpet trunk liner BTW. The wedge golf-club hood prop has always been in there. Early 1970's at least.

Name:	911stash014.JPG
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	87925
              This car is chassis # 302 363. I normally see the riveted data plate down low by the latch reciever on all the 911's I've ever looked at. I found it very weird to find it mounted above the chassis stamping.

Name:	911stash035.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	87926
              The original steel wheels I found date coded August of 1965

Name:	911stash036.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	87927
              Applying my 356 experience it became clear it must have been built in late 1965 which would also account for the unique data plate location.

Name:	aaaa44925946.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	87928
              I received confirmation from my buddy later that evening that in fact is part of the first tear of model year 1966 cars built in late 1965. The green arrow highlights its position as 1,027 cars away from the cut-off point and 363 cars from being a 1965 model. Just missed it. The paper work I found in the glove compartment would shed additional light. That next.
              Thanks for stopping by!
              Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

Registration and service records.

Name:	911stash072.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	87930
                Original Jacket

Name:	911stash073.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	87931

Name:	911stash074.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	87932
                The service book proves to have the most valuable information.

Name:	911stash075.JPG
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	87933
                For better or worse my parents where pack rats so there is some good paperwork to sift through.
                Justin Rio

Comment

Justin..........the more I follow this great story of this family car, the more I can`t believe you`re selling it. Take a deep breath my son.....and think it over! There`s gotta be a way to justify keeping this car in the family......is there anything we can do to help?.....Bill

Comment

Thanks alot for that Bill and to be honest your post did give me pause but choices have to be made. I'm trying to raise funds to buy my own workshop.(tired of renting) I suppose I could sell my 356 coupe and related projets but I'm much more partial to them. Besides my father is really getting up there and he's ready to let it go to help me along so it is officially available and so is the '67 soft window 911 targa and a donor '69 911E all with matching numbers engines. Thanks again for that nice post!
                    Justin

Three booklets found in that sleeve.

Name:	911stash076.JPG
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	87948
                    A very tired and tattered brochure

Name:	911stash077.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	87949
                    It describes the 911L so it must be 1968 or later?

Name:	911stash078.JPG
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	87950
                    Service directory

Name:	911stash080.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	87951

Name:	911stash079.JPG
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	87952
                    Be interesting if any of those old phone numbers still work.

Name:	911stash081.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	87953
                    Back cover intact

Name:	911stash082.JPG
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	87954
                    The warranty booklet is where all the historical gold is. Chassis # hand written on the cover all those years ago.

Name:	911stash083.JPG
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	87955
                    I gather it was purchased new from Otto Glockers in Frankfurt. Perhaps thats Otto's signature too? This supports the story my father was told at the dealers where he purchased it as the second owner in late 1966. This car was purchased new in Germany by a young Mormon boy while on his mission there. Got tired of walking or riding a bike through those neighborhoods I guess? Maybe a PR move? Two young kids pulling up to your door in a brand new 911 to sell you on thier religion? Anyway, once his tour as was up he had the car shipped back to the United States; Salt Lake City Utah to be exact. He drove it for maybe a few weeks after its arrival then was traded in for something more practical as he was getting married and starting a family. More later...
                    Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

Hi Justin,
                      Great little time capsule you have there. Fun to see all the original docs. Sorry to see you selling. Sure it is bittersweet. But I understand. For us regular guys, its just not practical to keep everything forever. Good luck. If I hear of anyone looking, will send them your way.
                      DG

Comment

I really appreciate that David. Yes, it would be nice to be able to keep them all but like you said regular guys like us have to make choices.
                        Thanks! Justin

Numbers match:

Name:	911stash084.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	87968
                        Second page records the chassis and motor number.(902 617) I also gather it was sold on October 4th, 1965. So this car was part of the "first wave" hitting the streets and making all the old 356 owners yearn for more.

Name:	911stash024.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	87970
                        Finally got that decklid open after 20 years.

Name:	911stash021.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	87969
                        Original Solexes were replaced with Webers Shortly after my dad bought it.

Name:	911stash023.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	87967
                        Tough to get a clear shot but

Name:	911stash022.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	87971
                        I'm seeing the same number: 902617 Original engine still with it.

More later...
                        Justin
                        Justin Rio

Comment

Service Stubs:

Name:	911stash085.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	87982
                          Came in for service on october 13th

Name:	911stash088.JPG
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	87983
                          The next Stub for the second proceedure on that visit.

Name:	911stash089.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	87984
                          Last recorded service in Germany. No date

Name:	911stash087.JPG
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	87985
                          We know by at least April 5th of 1966 it was in Salt lake City and in for service at L.H. Strong Motors

Name:	911stash090.JPG
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	87986
                          second service performed on the same visit.

Name:	911stash093.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	87989
                          This would be the first service at 20K KM

Name:	911stash094.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	87990
                          And this was the second. Wish I could read German.

Name:	911stash092.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	87987
                          L.H. Strong Motors as found in the little red directory.

Name:	911stash078.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	87988
                          Pretty cool.
                          Justin Rio

Comment

Taking a break from the paperwork.

A few more interior shots.

Name:	911stash009.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	88041
                            The larger rear panels directly under the window where recovered in nagahyde in the early 80's by my father. The original covering cooked-off long ago under the desert sun. Lateral panels and jump seat related are original.

Name:	911stash010.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	88042
                            a little curley from 50 years of heat exposure but all orignal under here.

Name:	911stash011.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	88043
                            All carpeting is original.

Name:	911stash043.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	88044
                            Door panels are original but I seem to remember the caps being recovered at some point. WIndow cranks are correct but have the wrong plastic cap. I think I can find the OG round ones.
                            Justin Rio

Comment

Trunk details.

Name:	911stash016.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	88062
                              all coatings, sound deadner and related components untouched and factory.

Name:	911stash015.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	88063
                              It was built for the European market so this car is equipped with the rare and optional gasoline heater. Also complete and undisturbed since '65.

Name:	911stash017.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	88064
                              Tank remains in original paint with tar-paper sound dampener. horsehair liner also remains under the original carpet liner.

Name:	911stash018.JPG
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	88065
                              Forward lower tray is solid with most of the original coating intact but with some surface where the battery lived. Couldn't get some underside shots of it just yet and know these cars rust out here in and around the suspension points but this car is solid...it always has been. I'll get some underside shots of the floor as well which we'll find in similar condition.

Name:	911stash020.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	88066
                              I also know they can rust out badly along the fender's mounting flanges but as you can see there are no outward signs rust or bad bubbling.

Name:	911stash019.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	88067
                              The right side is in simialr condition. There could very well be some rust way down in the flanges and we just wont know until the fenders are removed but by the looks of things it won't be serious. Note the washer bag mounted on the right hand side. This is a 1965 build detail from what I understand.
                              More later...
                              Justin
                              Justin Rio

Comment

Justin:
                                I hate to see your father's 911 go, I always hoped you would attack it like you did the Carrera. However growing your business is always a top priority, and how many Porsches does the average guy need? (apparently the correct answer is two).

Anyway I had to jump in here because of your comment on the Webasto heater. My '66 911 had one (a US model) and as far as I know all 911s had them as standard until the 911S came out in late '66. At that time the Webasto became standard on the S, and optional on the 911.

Those heaters were pretty neat, they sounded like a little jet engine running up there. It took some fiddling to keep them running correctly, and I always wondered if it was going to start or blow up! Just one more cool reason to own an early 911.

Good luck with the car,
                                Steve
                                Steve Clarke
                                '65 C coupe
                                '73 911

Comment

Working...
                                X