No announcement yet.

Carrera book comments and questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those that wish to visit Steve Heinrichs Obituary see the web-site below. Also, within the site there is a link to light a Candle and/or leave a personal note.

Best regards to Steve's many friends. He really did have a great appreciation for all of us in the vintage and historical Porsche world. As an aside, I will be attending the Memorial on October 8th.

Michael Doyle

http://m.legacy.com/obituaries/sfgate/obituary.aspx?n=r-stephen-heinrichs&pid=181589124&referrer=0&preview=false

Comment

• The Memorial held for Steve Heinrich's on October 8th was very, very nice. A church service was first held and attended by Steve's wonderful wife Dorothy and family, many friends, and his loyal college fraternity brothers from all over the USA.

A lunch gathering afterwards was at a nearby Golf Course banquet room. Everyone truly enjoyed themselves and shared their best memories of the super guy Steve was and great Ambassador for Porsche and its history.

One of three collage photo boards is attached to take a look at just a part of Steve's life and contributions. Also, a special mention to Dorothy on what a superb job she did in putting all this together for her best friend, Steve.

Best regards to all.

Michael Doyle

Click image for larger version

Name:	SteveH.collagephotos-2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	81034

Comment

• Thanks much for sharing Michael. I had a meeting I could not miss in Hershey, PA, that day so I missed this event. I'm glad you could go and shared some of it with us.

Steve was a truly remarkable man with whom I shared only four years of friendship - I wish it had been much longer.

Bill Sampson
        Bill Sampson

BIRD LIVES!!!!!

HAYDUKE LIVES!!!!!

Comment

• By flying into the Philly airport, Bill met with me prior to Hershey but I "got busy" the day I was to see him again AT Hershey (and it rained, as it often does at Hershey).

Like Bill, I had so much respect for Steve that I had thought of going to any 'public' service there would be for him and yes, it turned out to be the Saturday of Hershey Week, but the time and money (and the inability to talk to Steve) sadly took that 3,000 mile jaunt off the table.

I occasionally go to Texas to see Bill Jones. I called yesterday and we had a bad connection, so that started my planning a next trip, soon. At 93, there is no better time to visit again than now. I missed that with Steve.

Michael, I cannot find your number and have a question concerning a 4-cam Speedster. Would be so kind as to call me at 610-831-1200? Thank you in advance.

Bruce Baker

Comment

• Just reading about how Otto Mathe got all his race cars converted to right hand drive because he had no use of his right hand, but the Carrera book has him listed in 7 races in 550-0057. Not possible as he would not have been able to change gears and 550-0056 was the only 550 to be converted to RHD to race in Australia...
            Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

• I "think" I've read (can't remember where) that initially when Mr Mathe was driving a left hand drive car, in order to shift he would lean his chest forward to steady the wheel and reach across his body with his left hand to shift.
              trevorcgates@gmail.com
              Engine # P66909... are you out there
              Fun 356 events in SoCal = http://356club.org/

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5728.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	84281
                JOP

Comment

• I was taught to drive by my mother. She was much better at driving than my father. My mother was birthed in an awkward position and the docs in 1918 did not have any way to know the extent. One tried a large device with which to go in and turn her and in that process, severed her nerves and other inner needed parts of her right arm.
                  Medicine today could have likely saved that arm, but not back then.
                  She grew to over-compensate for that handicap in all aspects of life, including driving an automobile. She began with an American 3-speed on the column and then decided to try Mercedes 4-speed shifting on the steering column. All were on the right side of the steering wheel, so she would steady the wheel with her atrophied right arm and a knee, reach across and shift, up or down.
                  She 'graduated' into Mercedes with automatic shifting but always was a superb driver and often complained about other drivers being "too slow." She was careful, but quick.
                  I had to trick her to get her to give up her license when she was 90, not for poor driving or being too slow or bad reflexes.......but she would forget where she was going or how to get home. I told her that her grandson needed a car for his business and could she help...."of course" was her answer.

I had a brief racing experience with a RHD Sunbeam Alpine. I am left-handed AND a dyslectic, so all that left-handed center shifting worked for me even though the shift pattern was NOT a mirror image. However, that was done while NOT facing oncoming traffic nor lines in a road.

I took time to acclimate driving a left-hand steering car in the US Virgin Islands...where the roads are 'sided' like Great Britain or Japan, etc, as if the cars/trucks were RHD.

Also, I did special service work many years ago for an amature Porsche racer who was missing his left leg. He was the only person I have known that raced with a Sporto-matic. He was not to be denied. Nor was my mother or Otto Mathe or many more brave and proud people who do not let a surmountable handicap stop them from doing what they want or need to do.

Bruce

Comment

• Book Carrera - wonderful book and certainly result of much research.
                    I believe there is a misprint in the information on page 530 about the date of the Willow Springs Hill Climb event where Huschke von Hanstein 550-03 participated.
                    This is printed as "NOVEMBER 1953," but the correct date is "DECEMBER 13, 1953".
                    Willow Springs was inaugurated on 23 november and on this date was the first race held there
                    See: http://www.willowspringsraceway.com/page.php?id=8
                    and: http://www.tamsoldracecarsite.net/BillTi044WillowSpringsScenic.html

Comment

• Hello Mario, Thanks for the info and Welcome along here! I've added your post to the original Carrera Book comment section started by Steve to help keep it all together. Thanks again!
                      Justin
                      Justin Rio

Comment

• trevorcgates@gmail.com
                        Engine # P66909... are you out there
                        Fun 356 events in SoCal = http://356club.org/

Comment

• Hi Trevor .. I know Steve Heinrichs (and Rolf Sprenger) very much appreciate your nice comments. The Carrera 4-cam Book is unsurpassed as a resource of valuable Porsche factory documentation and information that will continue on in time. A great rememberence indeed.

Michael Doyle

Comment

• I too have used the Carrera book many times for information or just to learn something new about our special cars! thank you Steve and Rolf!

Jerry
                            1957 GT/GT Carrera Speedster #83780 (GT bodied per Carrera Book) w/original motor #90896
                            1963 547/5 Spyder Factory Replacement Motor #90404
                            1973 E Targa
                            1973 S Coupe
                            2017 991.2 Targa GTS 4

Comment

• I lift the "Carrera" book regularly.... just for exercise!

I could not pay for ANY of those that I got for my mentors or 4-cam customers, so we agreed to an alternative. Steve would have the value of the book put on my checks and made out to "cancer research." He would autograph each book to it's intended recipient. On mine, to my wife and me, "in memory of Erna Kyle"(the woman who had introduced us and had recently died of lung cancer). Erna was also the widow of my late best friend, Dave Kyle, who had died fighting forest fires in CA.

Steve was one heck of a good guy. Loved life, respected death as simply the eventual end of life. It just came too soon for him.

I loaned Steve's Speedster book to someone many months ago and didn't note to whom. (Not the 2004 event book but the technical/scholarly subsequent book.) I figured it would show up eventually but since I used that one more for reference, I'd just replace it. Has anyone seen what the asking prices are for those still available?

Bruce

Comment

• Bruce wrote;
                                I loaned Steve's Speedster book to someone many months ago and didn't note to whom. (Not the 2004 event book but the technical/scholarly subsequent book.) I figured it would show up eventually but...

Man, I hate that kind of bullshit! Like we don't need our tools! Huh.
                                I have a small blackboard in my shop, and NOTHING leaves without the borrower writing his name, ph#, and item borrowed first. NO EXCETIONS. Already been there and done that far too many times.
                                Folks, be sure to return borrowed items PROMPLY, and in better condition than you received them.
                                Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

Working...
                                X