X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

April 17th 2012 -

In the final stretch...

It's going back to Paradise Wednesday for the freshly painted dash to go back in, breather box install, plumbing and then a dyno run.

MAYbe I'll have it back in my shop soon for the final details.

Comment

April 19th 2012 -

I'm a shoe collector, specifically Adidas Shell Toes. So with that in mind,

This *is* happening....

Comment

April 25th 2012 -

Engine and all other systems are done!

First pass on the dyno....

That looks complicated. All I know is 167 hp to the ground is between 196 and 208 hp at the flywheel depending on how you do the math (15% or 20% loss)

Not bad.

Kris says it's going to be a fun ride.

Comment

April 28th 2012 -

My buddy Jeff and I headed to SoCal. I took my Salesflap bus with the "previously in a 356" 2276cc IDA'd engine installed to have Kris run on the dyno and tune for me.

I left it and brought the 356 home, after a couple blasts behind the shop.

Comment

May 2nd 2012 -

Slowly sorting out some of the "details" on it before I get all crazy with pictures.

Waiting on my steering wheel and horn ring to get back from Koch's
              New floor boards, rubber mats, tunnel mats, rear view mirror and a bunch of other misc. parts are on their way also.

Visors I'll be attempting to restore myself as no repops are available.

On the short list I swapped out the wheels for chromed 6's and 4.5 King Crabs today as they were already mounted with 195/60 and 125 Firestone's and I really wanted to loose some of the rake.

Some minor adjustments to the rear (was running 5.5 w/ 195/60's) and all was good. Much better now!

Steve (racerx45) was on hand so I took him for a quick (pun intended) ride. All was good and he got some decent video. I'll edit out the part were I stalled it, was talking like a school girl, and failed miserably by trying to launch into a doughnut in 4th gear instead of 2nd.

As a driver I'd say it's solid and ready to go. Now it's just making it look better. Bumper is back on and looks OK. I'll do a better fit to it before painting. At some point the whole car needs to be polished to see what I am really working with.

Until then it's tucked away in the garage at home.

Comment

Here's the video that Justin wanted me to post earlier...

Un-edited footage...
                I need driving lessons

It's actually a little scary.
                The front lifts quite a bit and gets "light" when on it. I'm sure Steve can vouch for that.

2 days behind the wheel now and I'm finding the gears a bit easier.

First gear from a dead stop uphill is needed, otherwise I do a 2nd gear take off. Funny, but I do the same thing in the 11G with the crash box and 25hp.

I just took my sister and then my brother in-law for a quick trip through the neighborhood. Coming back from the 2nd ride with my brother in law I got a stern yelling at and lecture (I totally deserved it for driving like a dick through a neighborhood. When will I learn??) from an older mom with a LOW cut shirt who had to bend over to see into the car while yelling.

Totally worth it!

Comment

My brother in-law took video last week during my sisters ride.
                  Not much, but shows the look with the different wheels / tires.

Uhhhhh, apparently it's not quiet either.

After a much longer drive last night, it seems the Deep 6's need to go, or a spacer needs to be put in place.
                  Steve and I were getting a bit of rubbing on bumps and at shifts.

Steve put it best when he said, "It's just barely street-able" cause it is right on the line.

Comment

March 5th 2012 -
                    Forgot about the dash pics...

Temp "dyno wheel"

I'm rolling with a POS '59 bug wheel right now until the correct one is restored.

Comment

Comment

Comment

June 13th 2012 -

Surprise surprise...

I got around to sticking my freshly restored wheel on today and what do you know, it's a small diameter speedster wheel!

I must have been sleeping at the wheel (no pun intended) over the weekend as I never noticed how much smaller it was compared to the BD wheel I was selling (which is the same size as a normal coupe wheel)

Nice! Once more thing crossed off the list. Now the new wheel Bob is making me can go in the Split!

Comment

July 11th 2012 -

So, on to the updates...

I was trying to get the car "done" for the Classic last June. This meant, cleaning up the body, fixing the fender from the curb, restored wheel installed, and a few other things...

When the car was detailed in prep for paint work. The windshield was broke by the detailer...

I didn't want that to be public knowledge until I found a replacement. I figured if people knew I needed one their prices would double. Long story short I found a couple used windshields, but none were up to par with the car and I didn't want to put on in just for the Classic then have to change it out again later (it's not an easy job). No luck, so I passed on the Classic and kept looking...

I finally got lucky and found a supplier that was / is bringing in 10 new pieces from the UK this month with OG logos, etc. so I bought one. It should be here by the end of the month...

For the record, the broken window can't fully be blamed on the detailer. When Auto's International did the install after the headliner, they left it looking like this...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG0676.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	63366

Name:	IMG0677.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	63367

Name:	IMG678.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	63368

That caused the glass to pop out of the seal in that corner and left it vulnerable.

To their credit, they took care of the new windshield and seal for me. Not all places would do that. Because of their great customer service they will be getting all my 356 interior work in the future.

In the meantime, the paint work was handled, the steering wheel issues were handled, correct wheel / tire combo is now handled and it's just a waiting game on the glass.

Same guy that did Racerx45's T34 did the work for me. He was no joke....

I dropped it off on a Saturday 5/19 AM. This was the Monday 5/21.

Tuesday 5/22 it was to this point...

This was Wednesday 5/23

He touched up a few of the bigger chips on other parts of the car as well.
                            Not a full respray, or show quality job, but for $1000 and the QUICK turn around I can't complain.

Since then I have been driving it around a little bit here and there, but really just waiting for the new glass so I can call it "done"

Comment

August 17th 2012 -

New windshield should be here Tuesday. Hopefully by next weekend I'll have a "done" car.

With that in mind I tackled some funky wiring in the engine compartment today.

Before

After

http://www.haywireinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=245/category_id=15/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd245.htm

Great stuff!

Comment

August 20th 2012 -

I wasn't happy with it so I re-did it yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                                X