Polo motor build for junkyard coupe 58367

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Justin,
    I use the oil strainer from the VW Type IV engine is not so costly to process until it fits.

Is there any particular reason why you are not using the oil pump with the increased flow rate?

Ralph

Comment

• Hi Ralph,

Great to hear form you. To be honest, Dean tells me what to buy and I do it as I'm not an expert engine builder. I did look into those higher flow SC pumps in the beginning; more is better right? Dean however quickly discouraged me. He explained that I wanted the earlier pump at the 30/70 ratio with more on the scavenge side than the pressure side. I believe the one you show is the 40/60 ratio right? He warned me that the higher pressure pump might cause cavitation if it wasn't Shielded properly and that the 3.0 SC motors had rod lubrication problems due to those pumps?? He went on to explain that even the early 3-bar pumps like the one I'm running are already too much for his engines as they were designed for of course a six cylinder. I can only assume you have a different opinion. Didn't know a type 4 strainer was so similar again Dean tells me what I'm looking for....
      Justin Rio

Comment

• New Piston set from CP Carrillo Delivered:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7665.JPG Views:	0 Size:	150.6 KB ID:	111493​Once we had all the specs on the combustion chamber, valve and cylinder bore size; then lastly rod and crank specs and desired compression ratio their engineer went to work designing this custom set to fit within all those parameters.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7362.JPG Views:	0 Size:	123.8 KB ID:	111494 I had the chore and education of determining the CC's of each combustion chamber. I watched a couple of videos on how to test for it and the Vaseline seal around the based proved to be one of the most important tips. I spent the afternoon checking and cross checking each head at least four times a piece to be sure of the values I was getting. Two heads consistently came out at 83CC's and the other pair at 83.5CC's . I relayed this to Dean and he felt rounding it back to 83 even would fine.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7666.JPG Views:	0 Size:	113.0 KB ID:	111495 CP Carrillo offered a few upgrades like skirt coatings and I told them to build them with every upgrade that they offered.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7667.JPG Views:	0 Size:	135.0 KB ID:	111496 Test fit with my Pauter rods and all good. As you can see the wrist pins just clear the bottom oil ring. Considering crank and rod length the engineer wasn't sure this was all going to fit under the oil ring however he soon determined that it would be very close but it would be doable.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7670.JPG Views:	0 Size:	127.2 KB ID:	111497 Right at home in those LN Engineering 106MM barrels. I also ordered total seal rings to go with them. I'm ordering up the cams next and that will complete the main component parts that I lack to build the long block.

Thanks for looking!
        Justin
        Last edited by JTR70; 06-20-2021, 08:44 PM.
        Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
        X