No announcement yet.

356 Carrera GS and GT Shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• >It looks like a Rallye plate design...or is it a reflection?

Roy,

Thank you for your reply on this. Yes, I suggested it may be a reflection - I think the same way as you. This particular shape though appears so uniform that it can trick the eye. Although in the second photo of this Carrera it seems to not be there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HJWalter-WZV-125II.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	63798

If perhaps Vance (356) might recall where he found the 2 Rallye photos at 28527 ? ...that could be a very helpful lead to find out exactly where this location is at.

Again...my thanks to all.

Michael

Comment

• If you picture capture the photograph and zoom in, you can see that its not a glare or reflection. There is shade in that particular spot of the windshield and the mirror is clearly in view. In my opinion it appears to be a physical item such as a sticker/decal. Perhaps placed during a check point but not properly affixed and came off? Or maybe they are in sequence/reversed in the time line?

Name:	HJWalter-WZV-1251.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	63803

Name:	HJWalter-WZV-125II.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	63804

Comment

• Cisco,

Well done on that!! Enlarging the photo makes it clear, its not the mirror like I thought.

I would have put money on that, no wonder I never win much!!

Roy

Comment

• [quote="Ciscokid8" post=28583] In my opinion it appears to be a physical item such as a sticker/decal. Perhaps placed during a check point but not properly affixed and came off? Or maybe they are in sequence/reversed in the time line?

Yes - Excellent! Thank you for providing the close-up photos! I had done that on my computer screen but don't know how to capture it as a new photo.

Also, zooming in up close, the photo appears even more that there may be writing at the top of the sticker. And in doing so, you can see the co-driver better as well. It appears to maybe be Robert Buchet - he was many times with Claude Storez on these types of Rallyes. There really is sun reflection-glare in front of the driver behind the wheel.

And Cisco, we do not know which photo was taken first. Your thought of the Carrera getting the "Sticker" after passing a check-point makes sense. Thanks again.

Michael
          Attached Files

Comment

• These photos of H.J. Walter and his Carrera GT coupe required some time to discover the event and the venue. Through the Austrian Technological Museum archive I have found 18 images (including the two on this thread) of Walter's start no. 75 Carrera GT coupe. The event is the 1958 International Austrian Alpenfahrt which took place from 20 to 22 June 1958. A copy of the event entry list shows start no. 75 assigned to Walter and his Porsche Carrera coupe in Category C/II, Group 5 GT.
            Many of the images show the front or side of the car, however there was one image showing a rear view. This photo clearly shows the five louvers on each side of the main air intake grille and the twin pipe factory rally-type exhaust system.
            I never cease to be amazed at the appalling road conditions (rocks and gravel) that the 356 coupes had to endure during these multi-day European rallys where they were driven as fast as possible during day and night. They were the right tool if you were a serious competitor. A proper test of driver and car as opposed to circuit racing with the exception of the Targa Florio.
            Paolo

Name:	H.J.Walter-CarreraGT-1958InternationalAustrianAlpenfahrt-Image13.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	63816

Comment

• winnerwinnerwinner
              Grid:
              Sponsors: unknown Colours: unknown
              Tyres: unknown
              Richard Roth
              New York City
              Amagansett, NY

Comment

• Originally posted by Paolo" post=28589
                These photos of H.J. Walter and his Carrera GT coupe required some time to discover the event and the venue. Through the Austrian Technological Museum archive I have found 18 images (including the two on this thread) of Walter's start no. 75 Carrera GT coupe. The event is the 1958 International Austrian Alpenfahrt which took place from 20 to 22 June 1958. A copy of the event entry list shows start no. 75 assigned to Walter and his Porsche Carrera coupe in Category C/II, Group 5 GT.
                Many of the images show the front or side of the car, however there was one image showing a rear view. This photo clearly shows the five louvers on each side of the main air intake grille and the twin pipe factory rally-type exhaust system.
                I never cease to be amazed at the appalling road conditions (rocks and gravel) that the 356 coupes had to endure during these multi-day European rallys where they were driven as fast as possible during day and night. They were the right tool if you were a serious competitor. A proper test of driver and car as opposed to circuit racing with the exception of the Targa Florio.
                Paolo
                Paolo,

Fantastic!

I have been on the Austrian Technological Museum web-site before to see photos the 1957 - 1959 Flugplatz (Airport) races in Vienna and Innsbruck. Your effort to uncover this Austrian Alpenfahrt Rallye is absolutely Superb!

I will follow with the origins of this 1957 356A Carrera coupe - an original WerksCarrera GT.

Dankeschoen!

Michael

Comment

• Michael,
                  Send me an e-mail at paul@diversia.ca and I will attempt to send you copies of images of Walter's car from Austrian Tech. archive.
                  Paolo

Comment

• Thank you Paolo, didn't know the history of those old photos. I'll try to find and post more vintage 4-cam 356 pics. Starting with these:

Name:	Vgt356173_2015-07-13.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	63835

Name:	vtgd1127_2015-07-13.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	63836

Comment

• [quote="Rickie" post=28590]H Walter competition history in Carrera coupe ONLY. he did a lot of other races later in an Abarth Carrera GTL and others...RR
                      Richard,

Thank you for the race event list. Do you happen to have the web-site the info came from...perhaps it may show the pictures as well?

Also, research on H.J. Walter shows that he had 2 - Silver Carrera coupes. The first was a '56 GS model that he modified - the second being the factory Werks '57 GT model (June production). Efforts are to pinpoint which car was at a particular race. For instance, at Avus-Berlin he drove the GS Carrera once or twice in 1958/1959. The GT could have been one or the other.

I know (now)for sure he drove the GT Carrera at:

1. 1958 Nurburgring GP with Paul Strahle (maybe the 1000km also)

2. 1958 Austrian Alpenfahrt International with some Munich National- Deutschland Club team members.

Thanks again...appreciate your great input and replies.

Michael
                      winnerwinnerwinner
                      Grid:
                      Sponsors: unknown Colours: unknown
                      Tyres: unknown

Comment

• Michael, I will post the web site later as I have to run out, but unfortunately there are no photos on the site or I would have included them. I assume you know I owned and restored a 1959 Carrera GT coupe, so I know a little about their detail, and it is probably clear to everyone by now that he had two coupes...RR
                        Richard Roth
                        New York City
                        Amagansett, NY

Comment

• Originally posted by Rickie" post=28619
                          Michael, I will post the web site later as I have to run out, but unfortunately there are no photos on the site or I would have included them. I assume you know I owned and restored a 1959 Carrera GT coupe, so I know a little about their detail, and it is probably clear to everyone by now that he had two coupes...RR
                          Richard - not sure what you mean by "clear to everyone that he (Walter) had two coupes". Do you have more history-info to share about that?

Michael

Comment

• Mille Miglia Mille Miglia 12.5.1957
                            217 The car is not available on a photo Porsche 356A Carrera - Porsche F4 2v DOHC 1500 cc N/A GT1.6
                            -
                            Rear-engined
                            Driven by: Hans Walter (D)/R. Reinhold

Based on the statement that he had a '57 GT made in June, mentioned in the thread above, I have to assume that he drove an earlier car in the Mille Miglia in April of the same year, no?
                            Richard Roth
                            New York City
                            Amagansett, NY

Comment

• Originally posted by Rickie" post=28652
                              Mille Miglia Mille Miglia 12.5.1957
                              217 The car is not available on a photo Porsche 356A Carrera - Porsche F4 2v DOHC 1500 cc N/A GT1.6
                              -
                              Rear-engined
                              Driven by: Hans Walter (D)/R. Reinhold

Based on the statement that he had a '57 GT made in June, mentioned in the thread above, I have to assume that he drove an earlier car in the Mille Miglia in April of the same year, no?
                              Yes, he did. But what is interesting is that he owned both Carrera coupes at the same time -- he didn't sell the '56 one (raced at MM) - then buy the Werks June '57 one.

Example: The '56 Carrera he raced at Avus-Berlin GP in either 1958 and/or 1959. During this time he also raced the '57 Carrera at '58 Nurburgring 100km & Grand Prix & Austrian Alpenfahrt.

There is more reality background than what is referenced on the internet sites - they are a quick brush stroke at times. I'll post some interesting photos later.

Michael

Comment

• Just thinking that the earlier car was likely a 1500cc engine and the '57 was probably a 1600 (roller bearing also), so perhaps class entries based on displacement was a deciding factor on which car to enter in a particular event to have the best chance of a good placement.
                                Richard Roth
                                New York City
                                Amagansett, NY

Comment

Working...
                                X