No announcement yet.

356 Carrera GS and GT Shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From this angle, I doubt one could say anything definitive about shine up or down, but it looks like a bee-hive to me.

Just to keep things interesting, I can't help noting the poor fit of the engine lid. Curious. Also, looks like six louvers... Or is it seven?

Too bad the hood handle is not clearer.
    ----------
    Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo

Comment

• Looks like its running T2 pedestals under the front indicators. The rear seems like a teardrop.
      Justin Rio

Comment

• Originally posted by S.J.Szabo" post=28501
        From this angle, I doubt one could say anything definitive about shine up or down, but it looks like a bee-hive to me.

Just to keep things interesting, I can't help noting the poor fit of the engine lid. Curious. Also, looks like six louvers... Or is it seven?

Too bad the hood handle is not clearer.
        S.J. & Justin,

The side profile of the car does make it difficult to determine whether a rear beehive or teardrop light. I've added another early 1957 T2 GT coupe photo - car no.54 - with a similar side view. This is a known rear teardrop/shine-up license light model. Interestingly, both lights now appear to look very similar (exact?) to the no.51 car.

As to the fit on the rear louvered deck lid - it "may" not be closed all the way. If it is closed, yeah...a terrible fit - it may have been added.

The front indicator lights maybe-maybe not appear to have bases under them although the very first 1957 T2 models did get longer protruding lenses vs the T1 type that was shorter - up to March 1957.

Also note - the no.54 car is an early "production" GT model and has the chrome frame on the plexi quarter window.

S.J. - what is it about the hood handle on the no.51 car that is odd? Sure would like to have the license number on it be more clear!

Michael Doyle

Click image for larger version

Name:	Porsche1957CarreraGTno.54.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	63663

Comment

• I believe this is Hans-Joakim Walter's Carrera. His license plate number was WZ - V 125 and I can just make out a very faint "V" and number "1" in the photo.
          Also, his car had two leather hold-down straps mount at a slight angle on either side of the front hood ornament and the protruding fuel filler cap was painted black which shows in the photo.
          The driver's door rear view mirror is positioned the same as his car.
          More info to follow as it is uncovered.
          Paolo

Comment

• Originally posted by Paolo" post=28524
            I believe this is Hans-Joakim Walter's Carrera. His license plate number was WZ - V 125 and I can just make out a very faint "V" and number "1" in the photo.
            Also, his car had two leather hold-down straps mount at a slight angle on either side of the front hood ornament and the protruding fuel filler cap was painted black which shows in the photo.
            The driver's door rear view mirror is positioned the same as his car.
            More info to follow as it is uncovered.
            Paolo
            Paolo,

Thank you for looking and your information. If you might have or know of, it would be nice to see more photos of the H.J. Walter Carrera with license WZ - V 125.

With that, it can help link other races this Carrera may have been entered in.

Michael

Comment

• Interesting discussion, maybe these might help...
              ~Vance

Name:	vtgd1525.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	63679

Name:	vtg703667806.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	63680

Comment

• Vance,

The 2 photos you posted above are fantastic! They clearly support Paolo on the license number being WZ - V 125.

Do you know the year and location in the photos? Perhaps a route of the Liege-Rome-Liege or the Mille Miglia?

Also, H.J. Walter has a co-driver with him - it would be great to know who it is. The race entry list would indicate both drivers.

Michael

Comment

• Paolo,

Do you have any thoughts on these 2 new photos that Vance has posted?

Michael

------------------------------------------------------------------

Ps: Update to my own question:

1. I think if this was the L-R-L race the car would have an Entrant Plate with number on the front - it does not...so I take it off the idea list.

2. If the Mille Miglia race - the last year for the Mille was 1957 - I'm thinking the 2 photos Vance provided may be after 1957 - perhaps 1958?

Another period race was the "Coupe des Alps" so I am looking into that one for information. Any and all comments is welcome and appreciated!

Comment

• Forget the Mille Miglia-All starters had 3 digit numbers denoting their start time to the minute, and no part of the MM was run on unpaved roads.

Forgive me gentlemen, I seem to have lost the plot. What are we trying to establish with this thread anyway?? The car looks like a '57 Carrera GS-GT, lightweight with roller crank engine (no front coolers, wheels well oil lines, etc.). And I would love to see that 7 louver decklid, since 5 or 6 denoted the factory design, depending on the year...
                    Richard Roth
                    New York City
                    Amagansett, NY

Comment

• Originally posted by Rickie" post=28548
                      Forget the Mille Miglia-All starters had 3 digit numbers denoting their start time to the minute, and no part of the MM was run on unpaved roads.

Forgive me gentlemen, I seem to have lost the plot. What are we trying to establish with this thread anyway?? The car looks like a '57 Carrera GS-GT, lightweight with roller crank engine (no front coolers, wheels well oil lines, etc.). And I would love to see that 7 louver decklid, since 5 or 6 denoted the factory design, depending on the year...
                      Hello Richard,

Thanks for the comments you shared. I began this recent thread. I/we are trying to determine the car and its owner - believed to be Hans-Joachim Walter by the license number WZ - V 125 that Paolo and Vance kindly helped to identify.

Also, I believe the WZ on the plate is for the city Wetzler in Germany where H.J. Walter was from.

Now trying to determine what race and year the car is in wearing no. 75.

Could be Coupe des Alpes or maybe Tour de Course - Or? ...don't know yet, but hope to soon!

Michael

Comment

• Looking for Coupe des Alpes records I came across this 1958 Video of this famous Rallye produced by Shell-France. Great period footage, narration, and background music. You'll see the Storez/Buchet white Carrera Speedster in a number of spots. And also see Pat Moss - the sister of Sterling Moss in her car.

It's in 3 parts about 35 minutes total:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ewehMVGQ7E&feature=youtu.be

I enjoyed watching it - especially all the safety features - like none!

Michael Doyle

Ps: I didn't see the H.J. Walter Carrera GT in the video - still looking for an Entrant list. A high percentage of cars dropped out - didn't finish.

Comment

• Michael,

I really enjoyed those 3 video's. Thanks very much indeed, well worth watching! You are correct those roads if you call them that were really dangerous.

Really enjoyed it!

Roy

Comment

• There sure aren't any NASCAR 'Soft Walls' out there or many escape routes that I could see.
                            Great 3 part series.
                            The 2010 run came on after I watched the 3rd part.
                            Dick

Comment

• I just noticed that when this photo below is enlarged (I wish I could do it and re-post the photo) there appears to be a "Sticker" on the top middle of the windshield. It looks like a Rallye plate design...or is it a reflection?

Anyone else see it or recognize what it might be? Thanks.

Michael

Name:	HJWalter-WZV-125.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	63757

Comment

• Michael,

Could be mistaken but the angle the photo is taken from with possibly the the sun at his back the image is the internal interior mirror. I had similar shape patterns occur on photos of my car. Can't find the photo I am thinking of but a shiny angled mirror backing like mine below might have caused that.

Name:	2012_1055interior356mirror005.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	63770

Name:	2008_0202porsche356a0006.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	63771

Roy

Comment