No announcement yet.

718 RSK RS60 RS61

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miracle Man, Great website and photos! Looking through the Holbert photos I don't see any where he was driving 718-044. All are of a customer RS-60/61.

It occurred to me that one of the problems with ID on 718's might be the fact that the chassis carried a chassis number of the form 718-xxx but the transmission also had stamped numbers of the form 718-xxx. If the back of the car is off the transmission number is clearly visible on the transmission while the chassis number is on a small plate welded to the frame, so it might be easy to see where someone might think the transmission number is the car's serial number. For instance looking at the factory transmission sheets for my old 718-041 it was raced with transmissions 718-044, 718-054, 718-067, 718-069, and 718-073. I do not recall what trans was in the car when I got it in '69 but it probably was 718-073. I believe Joe Bunin rebuilt the trans for Collier who has the car now so he could probably tell what the trans number is on the trans that is in the car now.

Comment

• And Porsche is not alone. We just didn't pay much attention to VIN's or motor numbers. Look at how many gorgeous bodies were cut and smashed with hammers to make cooling vents or straighten a panel. Holbert had a sponsor named Bernie Viehl who bought a lot of his 718's and I think the 550's before them. I know some of those customer cars you mention were Bernies. Bob was as good a wrench as he was a driver. Totally unassuming, he'd fix your car, go beat you and then come over for a beer and a cigar. Always traveled with family; none like him these days. We old fossils who still thrash vintage cars keep that lifestyle going. Vic Skirmants has been racing 356's almost as long as I have been racing and like Holbert will work on your car for hours and then go beat you and afterward we all sit around and lie to each other about how great we were.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	59Thompson-Holbert.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	90443

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Holbertpost-racepicture.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	90447

Name:	HolbertSpyders.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	90448

Name:	HolbertandPenske.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	90449

I thought Roger had some of Bob's hand-me-downs.

After Bob's death in '08, Larry had me help him sell a soft-top and special jack for one of the Spyders. Those esoteric items fetched good money in Europe. I guess if you have one of those cars, you'd want all the extras.

Anyone checked Steve Heinrichs' Carrera book for answers to the questions posted here?
        Bruce

Comment

• more Bob Holbert pix:

Name:	Holbertwrenching.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	90451

Name:	HolbertwithvonHanstein.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	90452

Comment

• Anyone familiar with this car?

Name:	rsk09.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	90664

Comment

• From my post in 2014: Your photograph is of the 1963 Carrera 2000 GS-GT coupe, of which two were built, and was nicknamed "Dreikantschaber" because it resembled a triangular scraper tool in shape. It was an in house design that picked up on many of the styling cues of the 718 coupes which were introduced two years earlier, although without the windows on the upper quarter panels (in particular), and which also had those distinctive louvers on the lower rear quarters. Ludvigsen shortened the appellation to DKS on the 2 liter GT coupe, which was of course created with the same logic that led to the creation of the earlier Abarth Carrera, lighter weight and better aerodynamics provides improved performance in class categories.

RR

PS Sail panel is a little odd, as is scoop on it...R
              PPS Also note oval customs plate taped to hood...R
              Richard Roth
              New York City
              Amagansett, NY

Comment

• Comment

• As I understand both cars are owned by the factory and were on display in 2011 at the event in California (Porsche Race Car Classic)

Norm

Comment

• This post and the Portugal link referred to by Henk clearly outlines the how and why of the bodywork modifications that puzzled me in my PS comment in my earlier post. Great followup, Henk.
                    Richard Roth
                    New York City
                    Amagansett, NY

Comment

• Hi Norm
                      i think Julo Palmaz owned one of them at that time and it may be owned now by a collector in Sweden.
                      j

Comment

• Thanks guys, it looked liked a completely different car without the rear window openings.
                        ~Vance

Name:	718r90.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	90765

Comment

• Starting from Vance post

Name:	AP48Vance.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	90846
                          and subsequent Richard

Name:	AP49Richard.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	90847
                          and Heink

Name:	AP50Heink.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	90848
                          please find there after my contribution

Comment

• In 1963 new rules were introduced by he FIA to the GT class
                            In order to be able to compete in the 1963 Le Mans Porsche ask Butzi (Ferry's son) to design what could be considered as an improved Abarth Carrera : an aluminium body on a 356 chassis ( as for the Abarth carrera and not a tubular chassis as for the 718 RS 60/61) fitted with a 2 liter Fuhrmann engine
                            The Porsche 2000 GTS was born
                            2 cars chassis 122-991 and 122-992 were built

Name:	AP19Assemblage63.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	90850

Comment

• Due to the angular shape of the body these 2 cars got from the Porsche mecanics the nick name of "dreikantshaber"
                              First race was the 1963 edition of the Le Mans 24 hours race June 16/17th under race number 29 for 122-992 (pilots Gerhardt Koch/Carel Godin de Beaufort) and 30 for 122-991 (pilots Heinz Schiller/Ben Pon)

Name:	AP28LM6329.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	90852

Name:	AP29LM6330.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	90853

Name:	AP30LM63BenPonschiller.JPG
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	90854

Name:	AP31LM6329KochcarelGdeB.JPG
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	90855

Comment

• Sorry its already very late in France
                                I will continue to morrow their race carreer and explain how 122-991 was sold by Porsche to Americo Nunes in Portugal who crash it and rebuilt it to have it looking close (we are in 1965) to the new 904 and then how this car went to France in the hands of a major Porsche cars collector who had it rebuilt as it was looking in 1963 based on the pics taken from 122-992 who was kept by Porsche in their Stuttgart museum and how finally both cars ended to be exhibited in the 2011 Quail

Comment

Working...
                                X