Spyder 550 550A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi.

No problem at all. As to a "legal" 550-07....to me, it is a little like 550-11 which burned at March Field in California. A friend has the burned data plate. I understand that a 550-11 may exist in Europe. To me, the issue is that of building a car around not much. Little was left of 550-11, if any. And, basically just a few useful parts of 550-07 were left which ended up on 12306. Worse---in this case even the original 07 frame is gone.

Anyway...my belief is that, sadly, that car is gone. Creating such a car----in my personal opinion---is effectively making a Replica.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Sorry---as to 0076. It is a very interesting one:

In 1965, the car was rebuilt by Wendler. I have copies of the invoices and some photos. Quite the car as a coupe.

I'd say this one was rebodied by Wendler and remains 0076. It is what it is.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• By the way Steve,
        This very interesting discussions on ABCGT are the best that can happen to you - more worth than any other advertising on the book
        www.breuer.shop

Comment

• So you also think it's still existing as a coupe?
          www.breuer.shop

Comment

• Hi.

You are very kind. None of this is easy. And, there will be other issues, including in the 356 part of the book. I was at the Carmel Velley Werks Reunion Friday and there was a 356B represented as a Carrera into which Porsche put a pushrod motor. These do exist but this car was not one of them. There are also various "optioned up" cars that some think were additional factory GTs but are not.

As to 0076----I do believe it exists but do not know its current configuration.

Lots of 550s have been rebodied. What makes 07 so difficult to deal with is its changes from Bucklewagen where rear was perhaps fixed like 05, to other configurations where it essentially was a 550 not a prototype, to its replaced frame to its burning. To me, it is just now gone.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• A rebirth of 07 would of course be more a replica than a original car.
              What I meant it would be legal to the law by using the frame that was on it.
              About the optioned-up cars by factory I think they also did a roadster that way with Carrera engine.

Last time that I saw 76 still was a coupe.

You think the book will be supplied within the next few weeks?
              www.breuer.shop

Comment

• I don't know re legal aspects at all.

Actually, there were two full/real Carrera roadsters and a third with Carrera parts. By optioned-up, I mean, for example that if a customer ordered alu doors or plexi windows on a pushrod car----that did not make it a Carrera.

I do not think book out for another six or so weeks. The "turnover" to printer two weeks ago and then last Friday did not happen. Soon, I hope!!!!

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• It seems I will held the book in my hands under the chrismas tree...

I agree with what you wrote about the options on cars.
                  I saw an invoice of a 55 car with "spyder rear view mirror".
                  That doesn't make it better or faster, but interesting.
                  www.breuer.shop

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Heinrichs" post=21244
                    Andrew,

I'm trying to understand. I know the answer but cannot figure out how knowing this helps at all.

The internal book listing all (well, most) of 550-015 through 550-0090 also has a entry for 550-07 showing it to Sonauto 28 June 1956. (This is when Annie picked up to head to LeMans)

Porsche simply never called this car, regardless of its rebuild or reconfiguration, anything other than 550-07.

Please help me understand why knowing about who sold the car helps.

Steve Heinrichs
                    I was wondering whether the car went back to the factory after the accident at Reims or if it went elsewhere. When Blendl bought it, was it still a wreck or was it repaired again? Had Porsche bought the car back from Annie's mother or did they sell it on behalf of the family?

Why would Annie buy it from a dealer and not the factory seeing that it wasn't 'a new spyder'? The car was very customised and I thought her first outing in it with the Wendler body was the speed record attempt...?
                    Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

• Nice footage of 550-15 at this year's Mille Miglia. It has a lot of Wendler design features on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUDg2lSc7eo

Comment

• But how many is left over, Andrew?
                        It has now the smaller doors so it seems to be mostly rebodied.
                        www.breuer.shop

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Heinrichs" post=21244
                          The internal book listing all (well, most) of 550-015 through 550-0090 also has a entry for 550-07 showing it to Sonauto 28 June 1956. (This is when Annie picked up to head to LeMans)
                          Also, if it came from French dealer Sonauto, why would she drive through the night from the Factory to the race and you would assume it was French registered and there would be no need to put the 550-07 plate over 550-0043 for the purpose of border crossing...?

Comment

• To drive it through the night would make sense if the pistons were new.
                            www.breuer.shop

Comment

• 550-15 also creates issues for me (what doesn't!)

Here is is in May 1955 at the Mille Miglia

Click image for larger version

Name:	1955MM.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	47979

Name:	140758748.xOnR2lyL_2014-08-18.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	47980

This is it one month later at the June 1955 LeMans (?) - Wendler front, but has new Wendler back (no fins) and oil filler cap behind passenger door - looks very different...

Name:	No66.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	47981

Comment

• Not only no fins but also rear fenders have a more falling curve to the end.
                                www.breuer.shop

Comment

Working...
                                X