No announcement yet.

Spyder 550 550A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LeMans 1953. Yes, both with hardtop but 02 was without during training.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Still unclear on 550-05
      Steve, you say that Annie drove 550-07 in the Agadir GP in Feb 1955 in the configuration the same as 550-05. Porsche used 550-07 as a promotional car in the European showrooms to promote the racing success of Porsche in the 1954 Mille Miglia.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT5966.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	35823

This car would require a complete rebody for it to be the same as 05, which I find strange as Porsche had settled on the full clam opening for all their future spyders. 550-05 was badged with only the 'Porsche' wording logo on the front bonnet (as was 01-04), where 550-07 had both the Porsche wording and crest. 550-06 was the first of the Porsche 550s to have the crest fitted to the front bonnet. Each following Porsche had the crest and wording.

What proof do you have that 550-05 went to Brazil - is there a racing history or photos of it there?
      Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

• Andrew---

Here is a summary, but all will be in the book.

Taking your questions not in order:

The photo of the European tour car is of 550-09.

550-06, at early shows, was reconfigured and did NOT go to South America. It went to Hoffman and the NY auto show then out to von Neumann. I have the material regarding the shipment to Hoffman.

550-07, also a bucklewagen was reconfigured and sold to Vieullet. It became Annie B.'s car. Moreover, I have the listing showing the car coming in for service. And, we have photos of the car after the buckle cutoff and with a mechanic sticking his head in the back as would not have happened if it were fully hinged. 550-07 was rebuilt before the fatal LM accident with the first of the new frames.

Meanwhile, there are several 550-05 races beginning in 1-54 in South America. We have its history, photos with Rudge wheels, photo with the buyer who defaulted and much Stuck correspondence. If 550-05 was not in Brazil----which car was? No other is possible.

I hope this helps. To reach our conclusions involved photos, correspondence, races and triangulation and more.

All of this, including 550-09 as a bucklewagen, is very difficult. It was the Buckler driven '351' around Germany after 550-08s MM win. Then, reconfigured as well----it was the Sebring 1089ccm car.

By the way 550-13 was the car to Mexico, not 550-06. We know this for a variety of reasons including an ad placed
        by Segura specifically offering 550-13 for sale.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• I understand the Bucklewagens are very inconclusive because Porsche kept reconfiguring the early Spyders. I have an original photo of the 1954 Paris car show, which I assume is 550-07 without the buckle - is this correct?

Would the Paris show be before or after the buckle had been on 07? If Porsche already had a rear without the buckle which was the new hinge design that allowed them better access to the rear and to replace engines easier than just a bonnet opening like on 550-05, why would they want to replace it with the earlier design?

I think the 550 that you think went to South America would have to be one of the other rear bonnet opening Spyders - 01, 02, 03 or 04

Name:	photo1.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	35828

With the photo you have of 550-07 with mechanic, does it have the crest on the front? Are you able to share it here?

I accept 550-09 being reconfigured as it has the same oil grill on the front as when it raced at Sebring (always something new to learn!!)

Andrew

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_mzy0hxFQeP1rbjh8to1_500.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	35831

Name:	tumblr_mzxmp4fbDO1rbjh8to1_500.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	35832

Comment

Name:	tumblr_mzy217qzaM1rbjh8to1_500.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	35840

Comment

• Great photo of the Swiss racing spyder - 550-0028

Comment

Name:	tumblr_mzy4j0OrKL1rbjh8to1_500.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	35844

Comment

• Andrew/All,

The London and Paris show cars were of 550-06; it went to Hoffman then in December.

Don't gethung up on the crest issue. I spent three years thinking that the 1089 LM car was 09 because 13 did not have a crest later when Polensky had his accident with it. As to 07, there were many changes after the first accident.

As to 01-04 we have the complete history of each (we think) and they were not the car. There is actual written documentation of 05 going to Brazil and that was 1-54 and we have races through 12/57.

I know this is controversial material but---again--photos are not enough. This takes very difficult triangulation involving races, shows, timing, owners and more. Knowing that 13 not 06 went to Segura is important as well as knowing that 06 went to Hoffman and that all of 01-04 except 01 were in U.S. during the time of the Annie B. races and knowing the owners including Sonauto/V. got 05 and that Annie's mother owned it for her and service records-----all of this was necessary to finally reach conclusions regarding 05, 07, 09 and 13.

Great fun and will provide much food for discussion.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• My job is to put doubt in your mind Steve - can't just let you go rewrite history, now can we...?

550-06 makes sense for the show cars.

I know you have done extensive research and cross checking and you are probably spot on, but the Annie car is still bugging me - suppose it will all come out in the wash...

Andrew

Comment

• Well, of course I can, like anyone else.
                        Proof is tough but when you (as in all of us) think about it, we will reach our own conclusions. So far, the current history writers are, well, guessing based upon a couple of photos and no analysis. And, Andrew, I do not mean you...I mean some websites. You are after facts. They are trying to fill in blanks.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Name:	tumblr_mzzqozCT9M1rbjh8to1_500.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	35890

Comment

Name:	old1013.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	35952

Name:	old1012.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	35953

Comment

• More 550's in color

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ1Feylo0RE

Comment

• Another great video! Thanks again Gerard!
                                Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                                X