No announcement yet.

Fairly Radical Outlaw Build in New Zealand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, I like that style a lot. The exhaust outlet is really something and the exhaust configuration underneath looks really neat. The pronounced curvature of the rear fenders and rockers are so neat too.

Well done indeed, really nice work to balance that all up. I reckon this car will look ultra cool when finished

Take that as real praise from a guy who normally likes as much as possible and including his carpets original 1959.

Roy

Comment

Angus,

agree completely with Roy - it looks like you are nailing it. Great balance of lines and the quality of work appears to be outstanding from the photos. You Kiwis never cease to amaze me.

Great work, keep it up, please keep sharing.

Jonesy

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Gentlemen, appreciate the positive and supportive feedback, it all helps!

A couple of points:
          1. The car is essentially a copy of two different Emory Outlaws blended into one car with a few of our own design features added such as the rear exhaust exit. Without Rod Emory's vision and design brilliance there is no way I would have been brave enough to mess with such an iconic design as the Porsche 356. I must stress Rod is not involved in this project and he has not been offering design or build assistance. However when told of the project he has been gracious and accepting of it, they say that copying someone is the greatest form of flattery!
          2. There is a team of us involved in the project, yes I'm the owner of the project and the guy spending his children inheritance making this car. But my panel guy Dick Mol deserves the biggest amount of credit for taking a 356B T6 Coupe and turning it into what you see today. His can do and nothing is a problem attitude make working with him very rewarding. The other key guy is Kip Colvey at One at a Time. Kip is originally American but moved downunder in the late 90's with his family, he has a 356 shop here and has been working on them since the 70's. His guidance and mechanical ability is the other half of the build project.

For my part I have worked hard to ensure they are never waiting on parts and that I'm one step ahead of them all the way. When they want something it's on the shelf waiting which they appreciate.

I think we are about 6 months from completion so I'll keep the posts coming.

Thanks again for your support.

Comment

Dick spent yesterday working on the cover for the 911 rack & pinion steering we have installed in the car.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7078.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	83099

Name:	IMG_7082.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	83098
            It won't be noticeable once the car is on its wheels and the underside of the dash is painted black.

Name:	FullSizeRender_2016-12-21.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	83100

Comment

Dick working on the window templates.

With the roof being chopped by an inch and the door quarter windows removed the windows require a bit of fitting. Plus the regulators need extending to take the longer (width way) glass. The intention is for the door glass to seal like a standard cabriolet against the rubber. Dick also had to move the hardtop B pillar inwards about an inch so that it lined up correctly with the A pillar given we had tilted the A pillar back to match the hardtop chop!

The shape of the top of the doors is now completely different to standard as well. The doors roll over and follow the general door shape as opposed to the sharp edge normally seen on a 356B/C

Name:	FullSizeRender_2016-12-21-2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	83102

Comment

I am amazed to say the least! When I worked on mine 40 years ago it was hard enough following what the factory did, to change so much detail even with the dashboard would have been so daunting then. Congrats to your body man, I was almost in tears back then re-skinning half of my drivers side front door. Of course we have the steering on the correct side or should I say the right side don't we.

I like your thread! I bet Justin appreciates the effort in your work too.

Roy

Comment

Absolutely Roy, This is an amazing exercise in planning and in fabrication skill. Angus, you sure have an exceptional group there and the work so far is nothing short of impressive! Thank you for taking us along your journey.
                  Justin
                  Justin Rio

Comment

Latest pictures of the car from yesterday. Been a little quiet over Christmas & New Year holiday but the guys are back into it now. We hope to have the body ready to send of for premier in 6-8 weeks all going well. Lots of details at moment which slows down the big obvious changes.

Name:	IMG_2618.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	83611
                    Roof off for the first time.
                    You can see the 911 rack & pinion steering in this photo.

Name:	aMG_2610.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	83616

Name:	aMG_2611.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	83617

Name:	FullSizeRender5.jpg
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	83612
                    I like this shot, nice background

Name:	aaIMG_2598.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	83613

We are now very happy with the rear of the car, loving the exhaust exit.

Name:	aaMG_2599.jpg
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	83614

Name:	aaMG_2601.jpg
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	83615

Poor came off later that day to be stripped down and file finished.

Comment

She's really coming together beautifully Angus! Look forward to seeing it with completed doors and hood.
                      Justin
                      Justin Rio

Comment

The engine almost complete thanks to Kip Colvey at 'One at a Time'. John Willhoit 2132cc engine, running 44 Webers. For the train spotters, yes the oil filler is shorter than normal. We needed to shorten it due to raising the engine/transmission to lower the rear, otherwise it wouldn't have cleared the engine lid.

Name:	2132ccEngine.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	84244

Comment

Does this make my ass look too big honey?

Here's the rear mostly finished, hammered and filed.

Name:	Rear1.jpg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	84246

Name:	Rear2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	84247

Comment

A ton of pick and filing time in those panels. Looks fantastic!
                            Justin Rio

Comment

Wow... Ay. Cooper. How about some updates mate..

Name:	image_2018-02-24.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	97369
                              Found this online from auto car.co.nz. Looks like Kiwi Cooper has completed his coupe. For some reason my iPad won't let me paste the link. But here are the photos from the article.

Name:	image_2018-02-24.jpeg
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	97370

Name:	image_2018-02-24-4.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	97371

Ahha fixed it.. Follow the link.

http://www.autocar.co.nz/classic-reviews-app/porsche-356-coopster-review
                              Pushed around since 1966.

Comment

Perfection. Great taste, vision and execution. John in CT.

Comment

Working...
                                X