No announcement yet.

Fairly Radical Outlaw Build in New Zealand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ordered two 55 SqFt hides this morning, one smooth and the other weave in black. You were right about expensive, but it will be unique. Getting ready to start my 66 912 after 50 years it needs an update. The original interior held up well, but it's time. I will probably have enough leather left for another car.

12/15....
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2016-12-16.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	82584
    The full hide and 69 SqFt of woven came in today.. We are off, from the original 66 black vinyl to a Singer looking leather interior. 4300.00 for the hides was high but I will get a set of matching spares also.
    Pushed around since 1966.

Comment

You won't regret getting that leather and always good to have extra!

Comment

Thinking of running the exhaust pipe exit through the rear panel of the car. As we have lifted the transmission 2 inches to lower the car that intern lifts the engine and the exhaust. Appreciate everyones thoughts on the idea, the panel work in the photos is just a mock up.

Name:	FullSizeRender2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	82649

Name:	FullSizeRender3.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	82650

Name:	FullSizeRender4_2016-12-11.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	82651

Comment

Working on the dash layout, getting the switches in the right place. The three switches on the left are a work in progress. One is the headlight, one is the 12v actuator that operates the fresh air pop up vent on the cowl, the other for controlling the heat on the electric heater which may not make the final build.

Name:	FullSizeRender_2016-12-11.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	82653

Name:	FullSizeRender1_2016-12-11.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	82654

Name:	IMG_2212.JPG
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	82655
          Always loved a starter button, took a long time to find an old school looking one with 'engine start' on it.

Name:	IMG_2231.JPG
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	82656

Comment

If you are wondering how we would remove the engine/exhaust with this setup the answer will be a simple flange joint bolted together just inside the panel between the exhaust pipe and the final outlet.

Comment

Gauges, gone for an early 911 tacho and the 904 combi gauge, 200kph speedo.

Name:	FullSizeRender_2016-12-11-2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	82659

Comment

This is coming along nicely - looking very sweet. It is gong to be a sweet rig. Totally agree with the cool engine start button. Where did you land this and what is it from?
                1960 356B T5 - under major resurrection.
                356 Registry main thread;
                http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35854
                1968 912 - running like a scalded cat.

Comment

Go to the link below, I don't think I got it from them but the brand is listed on the page link. The chrome ignition bezel is a standard one I got from Sierra Madre, we had to drill it out to 18.5mm to make it wider and recap the thread. You will also need a different type of ignition switch if you plan to run with the engine start button. Sierra Madre has them in stock and they fit a standard chrome 356 bezel.

http://www.elecdirect.com/cole-hersee-switches/cole-hersee-momentary-switches

Comment

Its coming along beautifully!

Name:	aaaaaaRender3.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	82665
                    IMHO(since you asked)it seems a little funky as a solid panel with the exhaust poking through.

Name:	aaaaac2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	82666
                    I think incorporating a C2 style grate pattern in that roll panel would really turn the trick and reduce cavitation at the same time. Just a suggestion of course.
                    Its looking fantastic, keep up the great work.
                    Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Justin, appreciated. My thinking is that because the bumpers are being deleted and that the overall car shape is very smooth and rounded I wanted to keep the rear that way (although I am installing a fake air cooler grill in the front). The other issue is that when you roll the doors and the rockers under the car suddenly the rear panel looks too short and needs lengthening to the same line as the doors and rockers. This is probably a good 2 inches of extra panel length which of course makes the exhaust even higher relative to the bottom edge. The exhaust now comes out where the reverse light is normally mounted. We trailed several different looks with the panel cut out up and over the exhaust but it looked pretty average. We will try this and see how it looks when finished.

Comment

Absolutely, I see what you're doing there and agree that it looks best to continue the theme all the way around the skirt of the car. My suggestion was only addressing the aesthetics of the exhaust exit. Again, I do like the general roll pan shape you've got going; my suggestion is keeping that shape with a grate pattern of some sort so the exhaust exit doesn't seem like an after thought.
                        Justin
                        Justin Rio

Comment

Justin, in this photo you can see how the rear quarter panel looks too short and funky relative to the door and rocker panels.

Name:	IMG_2009.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	82673

This photo shows how much we lengthened it by, roughly 2 inches in order to achieve the same line from the rockers to the rear quarter panel. This of course along with shortening the transmission hoop by 2 inches meant the exhaust exit was pretty high in the panel.

Name:	IMG_2090.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	82674

Comment

I have no idea why the photos keep coming out upside down!

Comment

I don't know why some are upside down either? No worries, I usually copy them, flip and repost.

Yes, The skirt extensions were definitely needed and look really nice.
                              Justin Rio

Comment

Some more photos of the rear, hard to say until its on wheels but I think it will look okay?

Name:	IMG_7073.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	83002

Name:	IMG_7072.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	83003

Name:	IMG_7068.JPG