57 356 A mild resto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning Mark,
    Thanks for posting an update. The battery box looks great, very nice job on that! Doing all the teadious stuff like engine sheet metal I see. I really should invest in a blasting cabnet. The flapper box would not be double springed like that. The second one without a proper mount tang is an owner add on. Thanks again! It is really looking nice! Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Originally posted by JTR70" post=1883
      Morning Mark,
      Thanks for posting an update. The battery box looks great, very nice job on that! Doing all the teadious stuff like engine sheet metal I see. I really should invest in a blasting cabnet. The flapper box would not be double springed like that. The second one without a proper mount tang is an owner add on. Thanks again! It is really looking nice! Justin
      Thanks Justin, that's what I figured since it was keeping the trap door from closing all the way. Why would someone add that? Do you think the HE was not adjusted properly so they just put more spring to it rather than take the time to adjust it?
      Mark Erbesfield
      57 356A
      65 911
      68 912
      73 911S
      66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
      79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

Mark, that was likely the case. Or maybe the flapper box was a little bent and the flapper plate was obstructed? Sometimes the hand control in the car seems to turn so easily you wonder if it closing or opening.

Nice work on tne brace. Its surprising how much that item shows up if you glance in the wheel well.

Roy

Comment

I would agree with Roy on that being the reason for the second spring. Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

Now that you mention it, the flapper did bind due to some tweaked metal so you are probably dead on the they needed more pull to get the flap to move. Well it works great now after a good hour of metal working.
            Mark Erbesfield
            57 356A
            65 911
            68 912
            73 911S
            79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

I spent last Saturday working on the exhaust cutout that a PO did. This cutout was done over 20 years ago. I am guessing that the same person that installed the 912 motor did the cutout to make room for the stock 912 exhaust. Probably did it at the same time he hacked the two rear corners of the engine bay to make room for the muffler. Somewhere along the way, he decided to change to a two out sport muffler, but never made the repairs. Just as well, it would have been hacked. It is interesting, at least to me that all the mods done to this car were done over 20 years ago. I know this to be true since the last owner, who was gracious enough to sell to me, bought the car exactly like it sat, 20 years ago. I have the original Atlanta Journal classified ad, which he circled and saved from when he first saw the car.
              Anyhow, enough talk. Here are pics of the repair I did on the exhaust cut out. Next up, Beehive tail light restoration.

First step was to make a pattern and rough cut some metal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8802.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	6496

I then took it to the English Wheel. I have a lot to learn about how this wheel works. Most important, keep your fingers out of the way. Learned that fast. This wheel is a real art. When you see guys use it, they make it look soooo easy. Not so. I got it to do what I wanted, but fortunately, my work was very simple. I have a long way to go before I will be knocking out fenders.

Name:	IMG_8803.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	6497

In this pic you can see the shape beginning to take shape. After the wheel, I used the sand bag. On and off the car a few hundred times and the shape was close.

Name:	IMG_8804.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	6498

After I got the shape close, I used some Dykem to mark out the edges in preparation for perfect fit.

Name:	IMG_8805.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	6499

Once I got the piece fitted, I then had to fold the edge over to match the original. I used some take to create the line I wanted and then hand worked it.

Name:	IMG_8806.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	6500

Name:	IMG_8807.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	6501

Name:	IMG_8808.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	6502

Name:	IMG_8809.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	6503
              Mark Erbesfield
              57 356A
              65 911
              68 912
              73 911S
              79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

Next up was actually welding the piece in place. This of course had to be done slowly to minimize any potential for warping. As I weld, I grind some of the welds and hammer and dolly the spots to help relieve any tension. Sometimes it works. This piece had so much curve to it that it did not seem to move much during the process. You will also notice that the sides of the opening are a little uneven. For some reason, the side I was working on was smaller than the one on the right, so I actually opened the hole up to match the right side so I was not worried about the inside opening. I guess when these cars were hand built, no one went around with a scale and compared right to left. I also had to line up the body lines in the piece. Hard to do because the lines are very subtle. There was over a 1/4" of bondo on this area and I am not sure why, it is in very good shape. I have not even hand worked the car yet. I also finished the back side so the repair is almost invisible. With some seam sealer and undercoat you will never know. Thanks for watching.

Name:	IMG_8810.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	6505

Name:	IMG_8811.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	6506

Name:	IMG_8812.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	6507

Name:	IMG_8814.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	6508
                Mark Erbesfield
                57 356A
                65 911
                68 912
                73 911S
                79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

I just realized I am coming up on one year from date of purchase and reflecting on the previous owners/caretakers. I had hoped to be on the road by now, but you know how it goes. Here is a picture of Don, the PO working on the car. I am sure he was full of emotions the day he decided to sell his baby. He had been caretaker for over 20 years. Thanks for trusting me Don.

Name:	DonPorsche.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	6510
                  Mark Erbesfield
                  57 356A
                  65 911
                  68 912
                  73 911S
                  79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

Really nice looking patch panels Mark! The contours look right. On the lower lip/flange did you have to use stretcher jaws or some heat to get the proper curvature? You have your own English wheel, NICE! That is something I have wanted for my shop. I have a shot bag and a couple of those teardrop mallets but have to go over to my buddies for the wheeling. Its really amazing you knock a rough lumpy shape in with the mallet and bag then the wheel magically levels it all out smooth and beautifully! I am sure the old owner is very excited to see his old car coming back to life with such quality and care being taken. Again, great work on those repair pieces! They look very hard to detect! I have no doubt your tail light hole repairs will be just as nice! I am glad to see that you also have the luxury of the original beehive mount holes as a guide. They are in very particular locations as the outer lights are positioned just a little upward from the inner units. The factory really got it right and if you don't place them exactly where they did it just looks odd! I am sure you have seen many examples. Anyway great job my friend! Looking forward to the tail lights. Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

Mark,

Nice job on that repair. I had to make a patch myself just back a bit from yours where the bumper irons go through. I established many years later the dirt and mess thrown up by the back wheels settles in that area causing rust. ( That is if you take the car out
                      on rainy days, which I avoid now.)

Roy

Comment

The E wheel is my buddy Scott's. He now has his 68 911 Hotrod at my shop so we have 3 P cars and one Land Cruiser to work on. No shortage of projects. No I don't own a stinker stretcher, wish I did. I have wanted one for years. As for the lip, I formed it by hand. It was not so tight that it req. SS. I have done them before, and had to cut wedges out and weld the piece back together, lot of work bc I did not have the right tools. One of the few I don't have. Some day. Yes I am very thankful that the Beehive holes are still in place. It will definitely make doing the repair that much easier. I am also fortunate to have been able to acquire a set of original BH lights thanks Justin and thanks for checking in.
                        Mark Erbesfield
                        57 356A
                        65 911
                        68 912
                        73 911S
                        79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

Lots of projects going on there! I'm glad the BH lights I sold you found such a good home! Looking forward to the repair. Thanks! Justin
                          Justin Rio

Comment

I repaired DS BH tonight. PS is next. Will post pics soon. Going to have to figure out what I need to do to make the lights work soon.
                            Mark Erbesfield
                            57 356A
                            65 911
                            68 912
                            73 911S
                            79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

Here are a couple pics from the BH repair. One thing that is odd, the two inboard holes for the lights are not in line with each other, top to bottom. The strange thing is I do not see any evidence of other holes or patches. These were the original holes that were hiding behind the tear drop lights. Maybe the large hole is off. I have not fine tuned the light holes. I just hogged them out real quick with my carbide tipped bit. I did not have the lights with me for test fitting. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Justin, can you tell me the diameter of the holes? I obviously have a good bit of hand work and finishing to do to this area. This repair was actually more difficult than I expected due to the compound curves involved.

Name:	IMG_8840.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	6757

Name:	IMG_8841.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	6758

Name:	IMG_8842.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	6759
                              Mark Erbesfield
                              57 356A
                              65 911
                              68 912
                              73 911S
                              79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

Looks Great Mark! It all seems so familiar. You're exactly correct the outboard lights/holes are slightly kicked upward in realation to the inner tail lights. That is the subtle detail in the placement that the factory got right on. Also the very reason why most Beehive attempts without a guide look off or wierd.

Name:	carrera522.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	6761
                                Here is mine with the elevation clearly shown. Yours is right; no worries! As for the hole diameter go to the front of your car; the front turnsignal holes on a T1 will be exactly the same as the rears would be. Its going to be pretty tough to get perfectly round holes by filing. I tried it on my first attempt and was not happy at all; had to use a die-punch to get a clean job. You could make a template from your front holes and color the excess with a marker and rat tail file the colored area I suppose. Thats probably the way I would do it. I hope this helps! Great job on the patch! Great to see it going back to beehives!!! Justin
                                Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                                X