• Show
Clear All

Right rocker now in final paint.

Click image for larger version

Name:	carrera123.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	1761
    Same as the left; wanted to get all the hard and or blind areas before welding it in place.

Name:	carrera125.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	1762
    Again will clean and spot repair all the burned areas

Name:	carrera128.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1763
    Initial fitment after underside paint to locate it in best position with the door.

Name:	carrera129.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	1764
    All those patch panels are nearly undectable and without filler just paint.

Name:	carrera136.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1767
    Same with the rear patched areas. I can live with it.

Name:	carrera131.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	1765
    There are some subtle irregularities with edge of the door and the entire run of the rocker. I'm playing a game of give and take between levelness with the closed door and the bottom gap. Trying for the best average fit I can get with all these variables.

Name:	carrera132.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1766

With the rocker in its best position the last couple of inches of the doors front edge taper away from the rocker. Beginning to add small bits of weld to correct the gap. Won't go any further until the rocker is welded into final set position. Its all these little things that slow you down and they always happen.

Name:	carrera138.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1768
    The original holes for carpet trim strip worked out perfectly for my cleco pins after I drilled the holes through on the new rocker flange. Its in the final adjusted position and will be welding it in next.
    Thanks for reading this! Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Welding the new rocker in.

Name:	carrera140.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1788
      Like everything else its never easy. The last 4 inches of the threshold opening taper inward too far in relation to the closed door and the original forward section.

Name:	carrera141.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1789
      The only answer was to cut that area free and move it outward into alignment. I sure wasn't going to use lead or bondo to correct this shortfall. Note that pesky rust in the pinch seams. Its under every lap joint on this car and every 356 for that matter. A sleeping dog that you can never reach or totally erraticate short of pulling every panel free which is never going to happen. The only thing you can do is to keep moisture exposure to a minimum so it doesn't start growing and creep out from under the seams.

Name:	carrera143.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	1790
      Once the alignment issue was addressed I started tacking in the new filler piece for the outer run.

Name:	carrera142.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1792
      Outer run all welded up. Stretched the bottom flange and welded it to the splashpan just the way it was done originally. plug-welding the drain pan next.

Name:	carrera147.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1791
      eveything welded up front, drain pan,even the bottom of the hinge plate which you can just barley see in this pic. Threshold and corner all finished to look stock and undisturbed. a bit more picking and filing on the weld joints but close.

Name:	carrera151.jpg
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1793
      Reinstalled the door to see how much more weld I have to add to the bottom corner area of the door to correct the gap.

Name:	carrera162.jpg
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1798
      Filler weld complete. Some fine finishing to do but the basic shape and gap are there.

Name:	carrera145.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	1794
      Same story with the rear. Had to cut and splice to get the end cap of the original rocker to line up with the new one. Had to cut a relief under the access hole and bring the edge up a touch higher to meet the donor rocker edge. No big deal, just more work.

Name:	carrera146.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	1795
      Also had to cut this relief into the striker panel so I could bump the rocker out further into even elevation with the closed door. Lots of little tweeks.

Name:	carrera148.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1796
      welding completed; its in!

Name:	carrera149.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	1797
      Spur, rocker skirt and lower gap all look fine in relation to one another. Lots of fine finishing still to do on the welds but the heavy-lifting is done. So satisfying to see rockers and spurs on this car after more than a decade. The battery box floor repair is next. The third attempt! Thanks for reading this! Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

Battery box floor repair

Before I had made the decision to repair the battery floor for a third time I was moving ahead and adding drain holes with covers/shields over them as found on my original battery floor on the coupster. My '56 Workshop manual depicts a floor with two drain holes front and back with covers. I went ahead and fabricated one based off of the original from the old floor which I reused.

Name:	5405726.jpg
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	1814
        Here is the second floor repair (done just after the longitudinals 10 years ago) just after I installed the drain hats. It was more correct then our first attempt and looked okay from the outside but the inside I rushed and cut some corners. The other mistake was this vendor T2 floor with incorrect center pressed in rib. Greg and I tried to shink it down but the scar remained.

Name:	carrera109.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1815
        Shortly after the hat installation I realized I'd never be able to dress and clean up that mess inside like I wanted. It was no longer on par with the rest of the steel work I was doing on this car now. My heart was not in it when I put this floor in and I rushed it so I could go to work on the coupster. So back out it came.

Name:	carrera111.jpg
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1816
        Here is part of the mess I'm talking about; the lower wall was thin and kept blowing through so I had to chase it with weld to close it up. Also you can see what is left of the new mounting flange I had put in. A strip of double walled metal. This is why I cut it back out. No excuses I just half-assed it.
        Justin Rio

Comment

Planning the third attempt at floor repair.

Name:	carrera156.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1857
          Another part harvested from the coupster. The old lower front closing panel was just too welded-on to that T2 floor I just cut out to mess with. This was a much fresher piece in good condition. The coupster is getting an oil tank here anyway so this piece was history. Works out perfectly.

Name:	carrera110.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1858
          Being a T1 car this floor section could not be simplier. Just a plain sheet of metal with two bends in it. The upper sections pictured here both left and right are whats left of the original floor. Fortunately we did not cut past these pressed in strengthening ribs which means all the correct details will be there once this is finished. Another reason I'm thankful these are still here is the repro floors rib details do not come close to the orignals.

Name:	carrera113.jpg
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1859
          First thing to address was the rear perimeter wall. Not only was the flange gone but the initial 3/4 of the verticle was is just too thin from battery acid. This is why it kept blowing through. making my paper template here to address all of it.

Name:	carrera114.jpg
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1860
          Final template that will include the flange and 3/4 up the wall into undamaged metal for ease of welding.

Name:	carrera169.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1861
          ready to move onto metal. Took a piece of 20 guage into my bending brake to create the initial part.

Name:	carrera170.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1862
          Two relief cuts and make the 90 degree bends. Simple, simple so much fun when it is.

Name:	carrera172.jpg
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	1863
          left myself enough on the ends to make the final turns outward and end in a lap-joint like the rest of the wall. You can see the last section of the verticle wall I cut out (laying on the torsion tube)which eliminated my old lousy repair attempt that was double walled. Glad this garbage is gone.

Name:	carrera173.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	1864
          You can see the lap joint on the other side of the spring tab where this piece will also end. Have to remove these tabs to get a clean result out of it. Thanks for reading this! Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	carrera174.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	2042
            Cleaning away the last bits of original lower flange of the verticle wall here. I could not get my drill into position to get at the spot welds on the tabs. I cut enough away for now to continue work. I would eventually get the rest off clean them, weld back together and reinstall.

Name:	carrera176.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	2043
            That extra length on the repair flange now folded over into final position. Its scribed with a line for final trimming. It will continue the lapjoint to the new floor seamlessly. My second repair in no way had this clean repair detail.

Name:	carrera175.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	2044
            Both sides just about ready. One more hole for the plug-weld.

Name:	carrera178.jpg
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	2045
            With the center section just about ready I began fabricating the right and left flange runs.

Name:	carrera179.jpg
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	2046
            All three pieces fabricated. Now slowly tacking the new piece into position.

Name:	carrera180.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	2047
            The repair flange is almost in but I went ahead and finished up the corners. cleaned, welded and reinstalled the spring tabs. Lap joint detail back and angled ends will be left raw down to the new floor as originally.

Name:	carrera182.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	2048
            Welding of the new center section complete!

Name:	carrera185.jpg
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	2049
            Left side fange runner now fully installed.

Name:	carrera186.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	2050
            Fortunately I had an original flange section to refere to otherwise I would have never gotten these details right. The joint seam here partially wraps around the bottom under the corner and is left raw. The front portion is seam welded to the edge. I gas welded here for an authentic look.

Name:	carrera187.jpg
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	2051
            I just have the right side to do next and this back wall is done. Exact same proceedure so I'll spare you the details. Thanks for reading this! Justin
            Justin Rio

Comment

Things are looking good, going to be really nice once everything gets it's final finishing touches and painted. Thanks for posting and have fun. George

Comment

Thank you very much George! It is really fun and satisfying to get these metal tasks into the finished column after all these years. Best regards, Justin

Name:	carrera194.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	2071
                Rear wall/flange repair finally completed! Some detail grinding to do on the welds but its ready for a new floor section now.

Name:	carrera190.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	2072
                Initial trimming and fitment of the new lower front wall/flange donor section. Almost ready to tack into position.

Name:	carrera154.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	2073
                Before welding it into place I needed to make the front edge profile for the new floor. The original seam joint left a ghost of the original floor shape. making an accurate template of this front floor contour.

Name:	carrera195.jpg
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	2074
                Front donor section now tack welded into place. Ready to start making the paper template for the new floor section.

Name:	carrera_198.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	2075
                evolving template. lots of trimming, tape, adding and subtracting as it went.

Name:	carrera200.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	2076
                desired shape and fitment of the template achieved. Ready to move onto metal. Its marked out on a piece of 20 guage here and ready to be cut out.
                Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	carrera201.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	2094
                  I have my new floor section. I had already put the two bends it needed but they were a little tight so I had to relax them just a bit. Also mocking up the little drain hats/shields.

Name:	carrera774.JPG
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	2095
                  Here is my 1956 factory workshop manual illustrating two drains with shields. I had the original one up front by the flange (under the #6 in the photo) but the rear one under the battery I did not have. Had to fabricate one.

Name:	5405719.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	2096
                  Pictured here is my original and my new blank I have just cut out. Part of the flange was cut off from the factory because this mounted right next to the floor and front closing wall seam joint.

Name:	5405720.jpg
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	2097
                  I had a large steel hallow handle which was the perfect O.D. of the cup.
                  The round blunt end of my small ball-ping hammer was the correct I.D. Alot of heat and repeated swedging slowly gave me the desired shape I needed.

Name:	5405722.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	2098
                  All done here with drain hole.

Name:	5405721.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	2099
                  The bottom of this cup is not level but is angled slightly to encourage the water to leave. I had to spank it in on this slight angle. It sort-of took on the shape of a small hood scoop. The drain hole is placed at the lowest point of course. Shortly after these shots (picture installed on page 6)I welded them to that T-2 floor I had in there. Another redo!

Name:	carrera205.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	2100
                  New floor test fitting begins.

Name:	carrera204.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	2101
                  I have removed the new front closing wall I had tacked into position. Though it was needed when I was making the paper template; now that I am in metal it is a pain in the ass to wiggle that thing in and out from the top. Once I removed the lower wall installing and removing the floor could not be easier. It just slides right in and out the front.
                  Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	carrera206.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	2156
                    It fits! After much fine trimming and repeated installs I have a tight uniform fit with the verticle walls and new floor lines up nice and even with the remaining original floor sections. Should be a seamless transition once its all welded up.

Name:	carrera209.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	2157
                    With the trimming complete I put in four cleco pins to "locate" it in its final adjusted position. marked in my center line for the drain holes.

Name:	carrera211.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	2158
                    Drain holes in. I flanged the openings for more strength and a better finished look. Not the way the factory did it but they will be covered by the shields anyway.

Name:	carrera214.jpg
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	2159
                    Getting them oriented in position and just about ready to plug-weld the rear one on.

Name:	carrera216.jpg
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	2160
                    Ready to go!
                    Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	carrera223.jpg
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	2339
                      Both hats now plug-welded on dressed smooth and spot-welded for a factory look.

Name:	carrera221.jpg
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	2340
                      I was able to harvest the cross-brace from the old T-2 floor I had in there. Good fit and will only need some minor tweeking.

Name:	carrera224.jpg
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	2341
                      Brace now tack-welded into position. floor back in for yet another test fit to make sure its not deforming on me; which it was slightly due to the heat but it went back enough to fit correctly.

Name:	carrera226.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	2342
                      Brace fully welded and plugs dressed smooth. Battery ground cable mount also finished.

Name:	carrera231.jpg
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	2343
                      Again went over the mount flange with my panel welder for an authentic look.

Name:	carrera232.jpg
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	2344
                      Top side. refit again to make sure the heat did not distort it.

Name:	carrera244.jpg
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	2345
                      alot of details and steps to get here but my new floor is finally complete.

Name:	carrera246.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	2346
                      All welds and rough edges have been polished.

Name:	carrera249.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	2347
                      Mounted back on for the last time. Welding it in next
                      Thanks for reading this! Justin
                      Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	carrera262.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	2361
                        Welding to the back wall complete. Plug-welded, smoothed then spot-welded for a factory look.

Name:	carrera263.jpg
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	2362
                        Gas welded the corners and overlapped the welded just like on the original sample I had.

Name:	carrera264.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	2363
                        Slowly stiching the sides together now. Alot of time spent making sure the two pieces stay level with each other. Note the staggard weld joint with the floor seam and the eventual front flange area. Better alignment and stronger.

Name:	carrera266.jpg
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	2364
                        both sides all welded together. Finally time to install the front section.
                        Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	carrera271.jpg
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	2423
                          Last piece of this puzzle. Of course there was a bit more fine trimming to do on the leading edge of the new floor to allow this closing panel seat tight and evenly with the rest of the front bulkhead wall. Always something!

Name:	carrera273.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	2424
                          Everything is now lining up pretty well on this side. Had to use sheetmetal screws to mount it into place. The cleco pins just did not have the clamping power needed to sinch this panel into position tightly enough. trying to preserve the factory spot welded appearance so all the plug welding will be done on the inside.

Name:	carrera272.jpg
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	2425
                          This side was close but not quite. Its a complicated shape that has been bent up over the years. Its going to take a few more screws and some heat to tame it but it'll get there.
                          Justin Rio

Comment

welding the front closing panel in.

Name:	carrera288.jpg
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	2487
                            A very slow process of mating the new floor to this old mounting flange. To get a tight fit I had to drill a hole and put sheet metal screws on both sides of the plug weld which is on the inside. Once plug-welded the screw holes had to be closed as well. A repeated process all across this panel.

Name:	carrera291.jpg
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	2488
                            Here is that plug-welding process on the inside. A pain in the ass to reach and grind smooth but I wanted to preserve the original spot-welded outside surface as much as possible. Notice the near seamless transition between old and new floor on the leading edge on the left side. Getting this finish and detail cost me alot of extra fitment time once it was complete.

Name:	carrera290.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	2489
                            Replicating the spot-welds on the new floor now. This was very nerve racking; sticking those two electrodes down in this well with the lead cables resting on the body to get into position. I cringed everytime I had to hit the trigger in anticipation of an accidental ground-short on the body. glad its over and I did not zap myself!

Name:	carrera303.jpg
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	2490
                            Flange to new floor welding complete.

Name:	carrera301.jpg
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	2491
                            I was able to save alot of the original welding details by plug-welding to the inside. Alot more work but I'm so much happier with the end product.

Name:	carrera307.jpg
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	2492
                            The old welds and roughness really give the illusion its never been repaired which is what I was aiming for.

Name:	carrera308.jpg
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	2493
                            Slowly stitching the verticle wall together. The last bit of welding business here.

Name:	carrera310.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	2494
                            Battery box repair welding COMPLETE!

Name:	carrera314.jpg
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	2495
                            All the enclosed, gritty and uncomfortable finishing down in this trunk well completed. Thank god! This was not fun; So glad to have this behind me!

Name:	carrera312.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	2496
                            Ready for primer! Like everything else, it was so much more work and frustration then first anticipated. However its at least done to a level where I won't have to do 4th repair attempt.
                            Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	carrera315.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	2498
                              Now with metal work complete I primed the areas in a good cover coat. Ran my 3M heavy drip-check along all the seams

Name:	carrera320.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	2499
                              Primed and tracer-coated the outside to see what I had left in the way of fine finishing.

Name:	carrera322.jpg
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	2500
                              began sanding the area to start softening any repair blemishes

Name:	carrera323.jpg
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	2501
                              I'm good with it. The seams are nearly undectable. The old dings and damage from road miles give it a real unmolested look. As you can see I've applied small amounts of finishing putty to a few irregularities. I know once this thing is on the ground no one including me will care but its waist high and in plain sight right now and because I get nuts I could not leave them alone.

Skipping ahead a few months here is absolute finished product in final color.

Name:	547376.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	2502

Name:	547377.jpg
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	2503

Name:	547378.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	2504

Name:	547575.jpg
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	2505

Name:	547578.jpg
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	2506

Name:	547579.jpg
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	2507
                              Onto the next deal! Thanks for reading this! Justin
                              Justin Rio

Comment

Justin,
                                What is the diameter of the drain cover you fabricated for the
                                bottom of the battery box?
                                Previous owner replaced box floor in mine and vent is now
                                missing. Your repair is excellent.
                                Thank you, Gordon

Comment

Working...
                                X