Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2801 1957 Sandblasted Coupe - ABCGT Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1957 Sandblasted Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I guess I will have to get back to you on that in couple of years ! ! Fingers crossed and other parts too.
    Thanks for all the support.
    Steve
    (& Tips and Advice always welcome)

Comment

• Now doing some seam sealing and being cleaner easier to see what else needs to be done. Some areas in fender wells/walls still have great globs of "seal" - dried and crusty now that I need to dig out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2857.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	101989

Name:	DSCN2858.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	101990

Getting into these areas isn't too bad with a long thin metal modified hook.

Name:	DSCN2862.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	101992

Name:	DSCN2863.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	101993

But I am kind of flummoxed as to how to get a tube or ?? up there to squirt/squeeze liquid DEEP in and reseal. The Built By Hand videos shows a guy with great big bucket of tar slopping it around with a brush - there has to be a better way ???

Name:	DSCN2861.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	101991
      Steve

Comment

• Sealing up the weld and joints under the car and wheel wells. I used this 'glup' - the English have an expression that somethings can stick like sh** to a blanket" and this stuff does . As the days were getting cooler and my garage runs cool too, I opted to pop each tube in my wife's oven at 200 ' f (no she doesn't know nor read this blog! But I did make sure to put a couple layers of aluminum foil under and around it, just in case!! Being warmed made the 'squeezing' process so much easier. Also at the 'business end' I used a spare tube 'end' rammed on and that helped get into the deeper recesses.

Name:	image_59771.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	103945
        Last edited by ukinusa; 12-31-2018, 12:06 AM.
        Steve

Comment

• Glad to see you back Steve! Sorry the update took soooooo long. The car is looking great BTW!
          Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

• Can't wait to see the updates! I've got a bunch also.
            jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• In a previous post above you can see the floor pan - having watched the factory video I was generous with the sealer . Having spent countless hours setting up the metal panels and grinding welds flat and leveling the floors and edges, I ended up absolutely HATING the look of the black seal being so rough, made even worse when sprayed with grey epoxy primer. So with a sharp chisel and mixed blades I cleaned it all up - leaving material in the joints of course - just the excess. So now not the factory look but I like it ! - Will add picture later.
              Last edited by ukinusa; 12-31-2018, 03:15 PM.
              Steve

Comment

• One thing that really bugged me was why a previous owner cut off the speaker 'mounts' - I mean they must hardly weigh anything.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	140.7 KB ID:	103948
                When I got the car I thought the only way I was going to repair this area was to make a replace 'mount' - maybe I could make a wood buck and drill out the holes and then pound it into shape ....hummm! Maybe someone here could do that ... me ? Unlikely !!!
                Next stop Adam at Unobtanium. He sent me picture of a shell with the part I needed - AWESOME - I was golden ! He promised to cut it out and send it to me - free of charge and my plan was to make duplicate copy for the other side.... somehow.

.Two years went by and being as he was doing me a huge favor and I could wait - I didn't want or need to push it. Then this spring it arrived ... Christmas again with both sides.

They were well and truly rusted into a lump - getting them apart would be challenge.

I cut them apart but the rust was deeper and more pervasive than I anticipated
                The solution came at Rennsport this year. In the booth of Restoration Design they had a car shell mock up and included was the panel I needed.

I didn't need the whole part with the speaker box - just the front "grill" - so on my return home this was ordered and it duly arrived.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by ukinusa; 12-31-2018, 03:26 PM.
                Steve

Comment

• Justin or ? Not sure how to get rid of "spare" pictures below post above. This post can be deleted later.
                  Steve

Comment

• Using the salvaged but unusable speaker mount as an approximate template, I plasma cut the oval I needed - over size.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	1227181434_HDR_resized.jpg Views:	1 Size:	60.0 KB ID:	103989
                    I find that using a flapper wheel rather than cutting disk is really effective method to bring metal to size, in a controlled and non life threatening way ! (Yes at least one visit to ER for stitches) .
                    Once one was done it was the perfect template for the other side, although the slight recess needed to go around the fresh air vent mount was mirrored of course.

Last edited by ukinusa; 12-31-2018, 04:45 PM. Reason: Trying to add more than picture per post ... not letting me - argh....Says all edits will be lost
                    Steve

Comment

• Two ready to go...
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	1229181322_HDR_resized.jpg Views:	2 Size:	64.5 KB ID:	103993

Use copper weld thru spray to give some protection and painted the back black before mounting - where I wasn't welding of course.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	1229181322a_HDR.jpg Views:	1 Size:	62.6 KB ID:	103992
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by ukinusa; 12-31-2018, 04:53 PM. Reason: hate this editor - randomly allowing me to post pictures - or not - Text just disppears.
                      Steve

Comment

• Ok getting frustrated with this new editor...!
                        Cut to the chase -
                        Holes punched for spot welding
                        Screwed into best position to mask old pattern.
                        Welded in
                        Finish spot welds
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	image_59796.jpg Views:	3 Size:	33.2 KB ID:	103995?

Name:	image_59798.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	104000 ?
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by ukinusa; 12-31-2018, 08:50 PM.
                        Steve

Comment

• Sorry Steve, its just new and we are all figuring things out. Nice work restoring the speaker bosses BTW!
                          Justin Rio

Comment

• Damm been a year since here last - time to catch up - but first to see why I am not receiving notices of postings ....
                            Steve

Comment

• And another year gone - so I need to post some pictures to show progress - the car is off to paint this week.... I hope....
                              I
                              Last edited by ukinusa; 12-28-2020, 12:21 AM.
                              Steve

Comment

• JTR70
                                JTR70 commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Nice to hear from you at least once a year Steve. LOL Off to paint shortly? I'm sure you're very excited. Look forward to some shots.

Happy New year!

Justin

• Yes Steve, a lot of work in over 5 years and hope you manage some photo's These cars take a lot of time to finish correctly!

Roy

Comment

Working...
                              X