No announcement yet.

62 bt6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roy, i had a guy in the Netherlands scan an original A, i sent him some blueprints over for him to make a start, good job he checked with an original as they were slightly off, he then made a dxf file and emailed it over, he did a great job and a reasonable price. He Is called jeffry works for himself at high octane . nl

JOP,
    lmao that Is funny thank you for the compliments guys, it's funny how the tin man looks remarkably like ned Kelly lol

truly thank you, I'm just a guy like the rest of you who loves 356's trying to get it done

Comment

Hi Tin Man,

I did not know that it was your buddy in NL that had done the copy of Rome-Berlin Porsche as well....because these photos I have seen before

He seems to be wheeling well

Cheerio
      JOP
      Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2016-01-27.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	72207
      JOP

Comment

yes that's the guy!

i saw some pictures of the buck for that car and sent him an email. we agreed on a price and he started. it was done over a period of around a year, but then i was in no rush! i got updates on his progress and all went well. i don't know jeffry as such but he has met a good friend of mine from the uk.

i do like the typ64, i know i would love to build one and I'm sure lots of us would love to own one

Comment

well i took a little break from climbing the ladder and started on the driver's 1/4 panel (passenger's to guy's in the US)

Name:	20160117_124210.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	72490

Name:	20160117_124217.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	72491

Name:	20160119_185940.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	72492

Name:	20160201_182539.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	72493

Name:	20160130_123954.jpg
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	72494

Name:	20160201_182705.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	72495

Name:	20160201_182731.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	72496

Name:	20160205_173910.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	72497

Comment

the last part took some doing but its close but more tweaking to do

Name:	20160206_104637.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	72499

Name:	20160206_173221.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	72500

thanks for following along

Comment

Incredible Neil! Its one thing to install someone else's panels like I'm doing but to create and fit them like this is on another level and really mind blowing. I can certainly appreciate all the time you spent just in those last series of photos. Also admiring the glimpses of that fresh chassis/rear seat pan area. Amazing job here, thanks for sharing your work with us all!
              Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

Wow!! Really nice. Those seam welds are so clean with no warpage. Did you TIG the pieces on the car or in a jig? Did you have to hammer the welds to maintain the sweeping curves?

Cheers,
                John
                jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Neil, very impressed w your panel forming. I assume you are using the English wheel? Thx for posting.
                  Mark Erbesfield
                  57 356A
                  65 911
                  68 912
                  73 911S
                  66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
                  79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

Justin, john, mark

thanks for the kind words.

the panels were welded of the car freehand, no jig, with the tig, no rod just fused together. i kept the panels level all along the joint then when i had gone the full length i ran it back through the wheel with light pressure to take the shrink out of the weld

thanks again guys!

Comment

just a little update,

seems to have been a good week this week...

Name:	20160216_171711.jpg
Views:	53
ID:	72907

Name:	20160217_182329.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	72908

Name:	20160219_165910.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	72909

Name:	20160219_165941.jpg
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	72910

Name:	20160216_171711_2016-02-19.jpg
Views:	48
ID:	72911

thanks for following along

Comment

Sorry to say Neil, It looks to good
                        Impressive Wheeling done, Sir
                        JOP

Comment

Neil,

Your work procedure is even hard for me to follow by looking at the photos. Have you wired that wheel well opening before welding the top piece? I presume the old body is underneath so far and the bottom trim around the back will be welded on last?

How will you get the left side to look the same and have the the rear lid opening space perfect for the engine lid?

Does everything have to correspond to the wooden buck and then you place parts on the car just to check its all going to plan.

I can't get over what you are doing, really amazing. As Justin said the fact he has been using formed items and its difficult, you make make them by hand and eye I presume to fit the buck.

This is a great thread to follow. Is it the buck that controls everything? When you wheel items do you have to continually get under the buck to see if it all contacts the wooden spars? does one radius push out another one blending to it so you have to back and forwards to get the blend correct?

Its beyond me Neil. I would like a video as I reckon all of us would who are confused as me

Keep up the excellent work.

Roy

Comment

JOP, thank you sir!

Roy, wow! i'll try to answer best i can lol...

[quote="roy mawbey" post=32409]Neil,

Your work procedure is even hard for me to follow by looking at the photos. Have you wired that wheel well opening before welding the top piece? I presume the old body is underneath so far and the bottom trim around the back will be welded on last?[quote]

yes the lower bottom return will get welded on last, the wired wheel arch is not done as this leaves the panel still 'open' to wheel and manipulate if needed.

[quote=post=32409]How will you get the left side to look the same and have the the rear lid opening space perfect for the engine lid?[quote]

the deck lid opening? i have made a template of an early deck lid, and i still have the deck lid to make yet so that will be easy to create the gaps

[quote=post=32409]Does everything have to correspond to the wooden buck and then you place parts on the car just to check its all going to plan.[quote]

err i have no wooden buck for the rear... but the idea is to form over the buck then fit to the shell

[quote=post=32409]I can't get over what you are doing, really amazing. As Justin said the fact he has been using formed items and its difficult, you make make them by hand and eye I presume to fit the buck.

This is a great thread to follow. Is it the buck that controls everything? When you wheel items do you have to continually get under the buck to see if it all contacts the wooden spars? does one radius push out another one blending to it so you have to back and forwards to get the blend correct?[quote]

generally yes its good to have contact with all the stations in the buck, but it is still as the eye sees it. meaning if it looks correct then it usually is

Comment

Amazing to watch you create all those complex curves from flat stock Neil! Here I am whining about prefabbed panels not fitting and there you are making your own from scratch. 10X the skill and effort involved here. If I remember correctly this is going to be retro Pre-A body on this later chassis right? I'm guessing you'll be closing up the larger rear window to match your new deck lid?
                              Impressive work as always!
                              Justin
                              Justin Rio

Comment

Neil,

Thanks for the explanations! I don't know, I looked at the wooden buck and for some reason never noticed it did not have a back section So, it makes your job even harder! The same as Justin you must have good ' eyes' to see the errors. I was interested to note like Justin you will fabricate your own back engine lid to fit!! I was a toolmaker by trade and formed my own repair panels in the 70's. They were straight forward items really but not easy for me to do then. All those blending curves would never ever have been possible for me. But...the English wheel is the item you need to know all about it seems. I guess a few years or more, experience on that and the engine lid might be possible

I do have a high regard for your work, don't think many could do it even with the correct equipment.

Roy

Comment

Working...
                                X