The Swiss Miss ('64 C #126687)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jack Staggs" post=38889
    I think you have earned the right to choose a color you like. What are leaning towards?
    Thanks Jack. That's a good way to look at it. Sky blue, Bali, Togo, Irish green, and Dolphin grey all appeal to me. I'm Ok with pretty much any color except red or black.

But..... The Swiss Miss is matching numbers, and is really turning out to be a great car. Everything else will be "correct", so I feel some impetus to keep the original color. I suppose if it has to be Red, at least its Ruby. Its a tough call.

DG

Comment

• Thanks Justin. Coming from you, that means a lot. And thanks again for hosting us here on ABCGT. I let my Registry membership lapse last month. Just couldn't find enough there to keep me interested, and I never could get over the way the late Mr. Heinrichs was tarred and feathered. So you are now my only internet link to the 356 world.

Good luck with your Dad's '66. That is such a neat car. Loved all the documents you posted.

Take care,
      DG

Comment

• "Sky blue, Bali, Togo, Irish green, and Dolphin grey all appeal to me. I'm Ok with pretty much any color except red or black."

No comment on the last two....

The "correct" Sky blue reflects everything, so it it's a bright blue sky it reflects that...but if there are mottled clouds, grass in front of it, trees or trashcans near it...it looks like one of those "flip-flop" psychoholic colors popular with some hot-rodder types a few years ago. I have restored a 356 SC Cab twice over the last 35 years using the early Ivory (with a great dark chocolate brown leather interior and tan carpet) rather than the original Sky blue and red combo that the same owner hated. That car is also "numbers matching."

Togo...what can I say? When my son was a baby, we had cloth diapers and I changed and washed many, many of those...and the smell comes back to me again when I saw back then or see now a Togo 356. I can't help it.

Irish green is very nice......on Irish cars.

Dolphin is also good, especially with a tan or blue interior....but for me, #2 after Bali blue. Man, that's a great 356 color.

Or silver. My first 356 was a silver Speedster and that's been a favorite for 53 years...but that's just me. Now, in your shoes, I'd go Bali.

Here a man who has owned his Speedster since the early '60s. Numbers matching but now with a spare 912 motor in it for driving. He always liked Fly yellow, so now it is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_32081.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	89105

Remember, the hit you'll take on resale is about $10k (right now) for someone who wants your car but argues that it's not the original color. If you plan on it staying your 356 for a while and it's not an 'investment,', paint it whatever the hell you want!!! (and don't compromise after all your great work!)

Lastly, thanks for the shared sentiments about Steve. "I never could get over the way the late Mr. Heinrichs was tarred and feathered."
        Well put. The despicable trustees of that time (and their apologists)(and some are still around) made the whole Registry experience I'd had for 40 years just end in the most sour way imaginable and I just didn't think it worth supporting, so I walked away......

Bruce

Comment

• Here is an original color combo 356, black paint and red interior, now sold and in California.

Check the link in the Registry posting for some great photos!

http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39155

Bruce

Comment

• Thanks Bruce for the discussion on colors. Some very evocative descriptions there (togo, eh?). Well I've been mulling it over in my head for 2 months and I think its going to be Bali. Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind at the last minute. But your point about painting it the color I like is well made. Always a fan of blue. The Schwinn Stingray that Santa brought in 1970 was blue, my and I've chosen blue for darned near everything else since then when I had a choice.

Not much progress since last time. Except I flipped the car. A friend brought out an octagon cage for me. It needed some cleaning/fixing/painting. But the price was right

Name:	IMG_4250.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	91140

Name:	IMG_4251.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	91141

Name:	IMG_4252.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	91142

Unfortunately, after it was on its side, I got to poking and prodding around the eng. comp. Thinking everything there was good, I had planned to leave the original tarpaper undisturbed. But sure enough, found a rusted area on the right wall, and the corner of the horizontal tray was shot. (Sigh...) Always something! So a little more work ahead of me yet.

Thanks, DG

Comment

• She's Looking great David and a painted octagon looks nice too.
              Additional rust repair sounds just as right as rain. So glad I'm not the only one. Bali Blue is a beautiful color...

Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
              X