No announcement yet.

'63 356B T-6 Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very cool. My email is jjgpierce@yahoo.com. Much appreciated.
    jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

John
      I measured my 63 T6B Reutter body and made a sketch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dimensions.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	35151

Hope this is what you were looking for. I would make an offer on the part(s) above.

Comment

Thanks Phil. Probably safer to use the original parts like you say.
        jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Ok Gents. Here's one to put your beanie caps on for. Please confirm for me that the upper and lower hinge supports should be in the same plane?

I've got my car leveled and when I put a level to the outer face of each upper hinge support they are also level. When I put the level across the outer faces of the hinge supports from upper to lower (on the driver's side only as the passenger's side is removed) the lower one is way off, about 1/2". Please tell me this is wrong. It may explain the multitude of shims that were used. Just another thing that needs to be remedied.
          jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Yes, the hinge brackets should (must) be in the same vertical plane. The shims can account for very minor differences only, and normally just move the leading edge of the door in or out in relation to the body.
            DG

Comment

Glad to see you back on it John! What a generous offer David; really nice of you! John, don't hesitate on that hinge post, that is an absolute god send; pray he finds the other side! Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

Originally posted by foamcar" post=15286
                John
                I measured my 63 T6B Reutter body and made a sketch.

Hope this is what you were looking for. I would make an offer on the part(s) above.
                Hi John,
                I'm late to read your thread, but I'm excited to have another project on here. Congrats on your find. My T6C is also on this forum, so feel free to ask for help if you need anything. Much of my five plus year project is on the 356registry forum. This link may work.
                http://porsche356registry.org/356talk/4/20893.html

I measured my hinge mounts according to Phil's drawing and got 43mm and 54mm for the top one. Uh oh, we aren't even close on the top hinge. I hope he transposed the numbers mistakenly. Please let me know, my car was made by Karmann.

Welcome and keep on posting!
                Best Regards,
                Tom Perazzo
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Phil and Tom! The info on your post is going to be quite helpful.

I found a 24" Diacro finger brake locally at a good price as it needed a restoration. It's going to be put to good use making parts to redo Bubba's attempts at welding

Name:	_MG_3719.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	35338
                  Before.

Name:	_MG_3723.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	35339
                  Before.

Name:	_MG_3778.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	35340
                  After derusting, sanding and painting.

Name:	_MG_3780.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	35341
                  jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Excellent restore. Nothing better then well made tools.

Comment

John
                      Here is one door frame in Registry classifieds:

http://porsche356registry.org/classifieds/2-356-parts-accessories/13586-window-frame-b-c.html

Phil

Comment

Nice find John! I would kill to have that brake for my shop!!!!! Great job restoring it! Justin
                        Justin Rio

Comment

Thanks guys! Adam Wright at Unobtanium was able to scrounge up complete right and left window frames for me in pretty good shape. The previous owner of my car didn't include them in the sale and I didn't notice that they were missing until I got the car home. When I questioned him on it he said the sale was final, but I could have the opportunity to purchase them before he placed them on eBay.

Anyway....on to better things. I spent some time finishing the hoop rotisserie. It's going to be quite useful working on the bottom of the car. No more sitting/laying on cold concrete. It was a prime opportunity to improve my welding skills too I ended up attaching the front to the lower torsion bar with a "U" of 3/8" threaded rod. The rear is attached to the tranny mounts. Everything is nice and level....well as much as possible for a 50 year old car

Name:	_MG_3743.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	35455
                          Completed front hoop before paint.

Name:	_MG_3751.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	35456
                          Completed rear hoop.

Name:	IMG_0487.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	35457
                          Complete.

Name:	IMG_0486.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	35458
                          Action shot. Very easy to turn over and get to the bottom.
                          jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Cool frame and brake, you are off to a great start! Enjoy the journey no matter how long it takes.
                            Cheers,
                            Tom

Comment

Nice work on that cage John! Life is so much better with the ability to roll the body over. Looking forward to your continued progress! Justin
                              Justin Rio

Comment

Parts like this would have saved me a ton of work!

Nice work on the cage and brake, with the right tools and equipment makes working in the garage easier and enjoyable.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X