Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2801 Warning: Undefined array key "counter" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2998 Warning: Undefined array key "filename" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2801 Warning: Undefined array key "counter" in /home/justin365/public_html/includes/vb5/template/bbcode.php on line 2998 SC Coupe Restoration - ABCGT Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SC Coupe Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom,

Is it ready for paint?!!!! If so.....CONGRATULATIONS

JP
    jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• Tom

I just finished a C coupe in this color. Glad to see yours done. Wait three full weeks before the wet sanding. The PPG paint took forever to finish out gassing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2018-04-18.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	99950

Name:	image_2018-04-18.jpeg
Views:	285
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	99951
      Pushed around since 1966.

Comment

• Any day now it will all be green!

Jbrooks, I saw that car in your thread and it looks great. We have planned dry time already. It will be another few months before I get the car back. He's going to undercoat after paint but before color sanding.

Comment

• Tom

Undercoat is good, truck bed liner is better unless you are worried about the authenticity police. As clean as the bottom is, professional bed liner over the primer will hold up better. You can always spray some wet tar over it, for the black finger judge look.

Comment

• "Wait three full weeks before the wet sanding. The PPG paint took forever to finish out gassing."

Herr Brooks is correct and it applies to all "plastic" paints (acrylic or poly urethanes, epoxies)... from any manufacturer. The only way around a wait is if that natural heater gets involved (dare I say "the sun"....which has not appeared in PA for more than a day at a time once in a while for many months) and that shortens the cure time.

On the flip side, waiting too long for a "cut and buff" can make the "paint" be like a concrete floor to get shiny again. One method is to wait three days and wet sand with ultra fine paper to open the pores and let that layer "gas out" and then a day or so later, compound and polish.

Lessons learnt by yer's truly: Production paint shops don't wait weeks or even days, they have heating booths or other force-cure methods...and often don't sand and polish due to really clean environments and hardly any dust to contaminate the job. Git 'em in, git 'em out.

Second lesson is that I miss lacquer....except on humid days (causing blushing) or really dry days (static drawing dirt and fuzz into the surface)

Bruce

Comment

• They nailed the color Tom; Both in direct sun and indoors. Can't wait to see it in paint...going to look amazing!
              Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

• 356 paint updates coming soon, but in the mean time Hagerty featured my 911 build. There are a few details wrong, but happy they took the time write the article.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/05/25/tom-perazzos-porsche-vlogs

Comment

• Congrats , Tom. I've been following your vlog and you're doing a great job with that 911.

John
                  jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• Gents, re paint curing and booths: I visited a beautiful new (production) shop in Hartford Conn a couple of weeks ago and in all three (!) booths they had carpet-like tiles on the floor. These are from the Pig Mat company and have a VERY slight stickiness to them to attract dust and overspray; each morning before fhe day's work commences, the painter vacuums the floor with a domestic-goddess type upright Hoover, and that's it. These tiles last 2-3 months then simply pull up and are replaced. Between that and other hygiene, there's just about zero dust in their paint, so as Bruce says, very little sanding of buffing because their Sata guns match factory textures/orange peel very well. Of course this shop also has a momdo axial-flow compressor, refrigeration-drying and filtration for the air. I asked how much their supplies cost each month: $25k. It all gets billed-out of course, but...the good stuff costs $$$. All the body techs use these nifty little Hilti workstations with built-in vacuums for all sanding/grinding tools. Result? Zero bondo dust anywhere. This is surely progress, especially for the health of the guys working there.

Complete contrast: two weeks ago I did a fender on my 74 Alfa GTV, using a twenty year old can of acrlyic lacquer (still perfect!) in AR501 Red and my HF gun. Applied it one day, wet sanded and buffed to gorgeous perfection the next...instant gratification. It is not durable, and it will crack in the future, but it sure is fun. Best to all, John/CT.

Comment

• My car is back home! I got a little side tracked by a 911, but I hope to get this back on the road!

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	107784Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	107785

Last edited by JTR70; 02-25-2020, 07:07 AM.

Comment

• JTR70
                        JTR70 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Congratulations Tom, She looks really nice!!

• Tom

The 911 paint looks good, go get the 356 assembly on YouTube

Comment

• Tom, glad your back at it. Looks outstanding.

Comment

• I did some investigating on my front suspension today.

Luckily I didn't find any bent parts.
                          Any good recommendations on king pin kits that are decent quality?
                          Thanks
                          Tom

Comment

• Tom
                            I am watching your video now, I have the 3rd tool you spoke of in the beginning of the video, VW256a front axle tube alignment tool, If you want to borrow them, the check the alignment of the tube for twist let me know I can ship them down to you.

john
                            Last edited by Jbrooks; 04-26-2020, 02:42 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jbrooks View Post
                              Tom
                              I am watching your video now, I have the 3rd tool you spoke of in the beginning of the video, VW256a front axle tube alignment tool, If you want to borrow them, the check the alignment of the tube for twist let me know I can ship them down to you.

john
                              Awesome John, thanks. I was thinking of VW259 for checking the C links, but 256a seems like a cool one too. I'm not in a hurry, so please send it to me. I'll pay the shipping.
                              Thanks,
                              Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X