No announcement yet.

The Resurrection of Foam Car - 63 T6B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In order to fully strip paint from dash had to remove accessory plug. Chrome was covered with black paint and overspray on bakelite. Cleaned up pretty good.

Comment

• JTR70
      JTR70 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sometimes old overspray provides a nice preservative barrier as it seems to be the case here.

• Phil

I wired mine for a Phone / GPS power port at 12V. The 6V will work unless you get the RPM up and the voltage goes high and lets the smoke out of the GPS. so I switched to 12V and a USB adapter

You can get the Hella DIN accessory plug for that, new on e-bay for a couple bucks. And a gel cell 12v battery from a emergency light that fits in the trunk just outboard of the drivers hinge, I glued a magnet to the battery and ran the wires to the accessory socket. its works well and easy to remove for charging.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...accessory+plug
    I used a UB1259 12V 5AH SLA Battery .

Pushed around since 1966.

Comment

• Good to know John. On my preA I installed a small 12v converter wired to the cigarette socket. Worked good navigating thru StLouis using tomtom on way to SantaFe

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	926.5 KB
ID:	111815
        Finally wrapped up gas tank install. Added boot clamp and metal drain. Installed cleaned up original overflow drain. Clamp not correct but will have to wait for next Stoddard order.
        Last edited by JTR70; 08-31-2021, 09:13 AM.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Butt weld finished - top vw.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	112350 Click image for larger version

Name:	door e-coated-1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	112351 I think I posted a video of me driving Foam Car last summer. In that video you can see all of the filler on the passenger door bottom
          I did that during a moment of frustration a few years ago. In the pic after black primer above you can see the waviness along the weld area. This was primarily caused by my lack of knowledge at that time of how to properly mig weld and planish on outer panels. This and the drivers door were done the same way. You can see the long proud weld bead in the other pic above. This was filed down pretty smooth with no planishing. So I have spent many hours this past month removing the filler and planishing the complete weld area. This has smoothed the metal up fairly nice and also reduced a low area caused by weld shrinkage. I did the same to the drivers door quite a while ago. Will post pics next time in shop.

Comment

• Looking forward to the door pics after your work. This is exactly what I should have done on my drivers door, not just tinned and really heavily leaded that surface. Sure the weld was good and the finished door surface still looks good today after over 30 years when last I sprayed it, but I know really it needed planishing ! Still to look inside the door through the 3" hole you need a torch and mirror

Roy

Comment

Working...
            X