Chassis 85517 Number 17 356 Convertible D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door hardware mock up:

I had a serious cloud of doubt on my mind as to how much this door had changed and its potential effect on the door glass approach attitude with the eventual seals. There is ton of adjustment in there but I just didn't know if the changes might have put the glass on the outer limits of its adjustment.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5598.JPG Views:	0 Size:	144.8 KB ID:	108847 I went back and fourth for a few days thinking, no it couldn't have changed that much as the door substructure is still pretty much in the same spot and since the glass mechanisms all mount to it then it should all work out fine. Then I'd think, what if I get it all painted, start reassembling only to find out there needs to be some sort of invasive modification needed so the glass will sit tightly into the seals. I've know better than to just assume anything, especially with these cars! So I took an afternoon and mocked up the top frame(again) with the door glass to put this fear to bed once and for all.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5599.JPG Views:	0 Size:	133.2 KB ID:	108848 Much to my great relief the glass laid inward with pretty much the same approach angle as the top frame.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5601.JPG Views:	0 Size:	138.9 KB ID:	108849 Forward approach angle with the windshield frame was equally as good with plenty of adjustment room. My biggest fear was that this glass was going to approach
    Too straight up with no adjustment left in it to lean it into the seals. This mock up immediately put that worry to bed.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5602.JPG Views:	0 Size:	135.4 KB ID:	108850 Went a step further and mocked up the seals. More positive confirmation still.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5604.JPG Views:	0 Size:	141.2 KB ID:	108851 All had for the rear was the blasted out original but it still answered the question.
    Last edited by JTR70; 05-19-2020, 07:40 AM.
    Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5605.JPG
Views:	345
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	108853 As much as I fought doing this mock up I was so glad I didn't leave it to chance. The peace of mind it provided was well worth the effort.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5606.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	108854 Breaking this back down and onto the next deal.

Name:	IMG_5595.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	108855 Mocked up the door top to chack for fitment and clearance.

Name:	IMG_5594.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	108856
      Good up front with both the door and the window track.

Name:	IMG_5593.JPG
Views:	344
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	108857 All good back here with the track and also with that corner of the jamb that was rebuilt earlier. One less potential surprise when the day comes to finally put this car back together.

Justin Rio

Comment

• Back to body work.

Name:	IMG_5648.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	108859 First coat of sealer and ready for its first skim coat of putty.

Name:	IMG_5650.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	108860 First pass being applied and will do this initial blocking flat on my table to make my life easier.

Name:	IMG_5652.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	108861 Couple rounds of blocking and swatching later. Gone just about as far as I can off the car. Ready to remount it and continue on blocking and finishing it out with the rest of the body as a whole.

Name:	IMG_5653.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	108862 Long boarding across the gaps and working in a final uniform contour.

Name:	IMG_5654.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	108863 Just about ready for another sealer coat. continuing on...

Thanks for looking!
        Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin, now my friend that amount of work to get perfection on a 356 door closing to such uniform gaps with only a trace or two of filler, proves to me the point 356 restorers have said, the restoration costs to achieve a car that passes close scrutiny can be so high. Only when you have attempted this amount of work on each part of the car can you evaluate this. Very difficult to just assume costs, Also without the experience to know how to correct and make repairs can you even start! I remember about 8 years ago passing comment on your selection of welding clamps and looking at my own meagre selection and wondering how on earth I managed to finish my car. I have learn't a lot from your efforts Justin and appreciate your efforts putting everything down in writing and with such super photos.

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
            JTR70 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Roy! It was a lot of work and deep hole I had to dig myself back out of but I had no choice, just had to clean it up and correct it as best as I could. I really appreciate all the kinds words of support from you along the way. You've done this work so you know exactly the heartache involved here...Thanks again! Justin

• First work coat and side spears:

Name:	IMG_5661.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	108970 Blocked this side down about as far as I could go so the surface was put behind another pass of sealer and a work coat.

Name:	IMG_5663.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	108971 After an initial block sand I thought now was as good a time as any to get the side spear holes drilled in the new door skin.

Name:	IMG_5668.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	108972 Taped in their best adjusted position.

Name:	IMG_5669.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	108973 Small filler "bit" drilled and set in its final position. Rear spear was slid forward against it to confirm their alignment.

Name:	IMG_5671.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	108974 Door section was traced and pilot holes drilled at center and in the same position across the door to match the left side.
          Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5674.JPG Views:	0 Size:	158.0 KB ID:	108976 Side spear reestablished.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5672.JPG Views:	0 Size:	126.9 KB ID:	108977 But, I still had a slight problem, That little filler "bit" was just not perfectly centered with the back of the door handle. After all of the previous mock ups and planning, some how in the end it still managed to move on me once all was set and done. I literally need the back of the handle to swing up 2MM to achieve center once again. Most would never catch this and with the base seal in place the eye would be drawn away from it even further but I just couldn't stand leaving it; not after all I'd been through. This is the heartache of redo work or building /adding things out of sequence.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	image_62944.jpg Views:	3 Size:	117.9 KB ID:	108978 I filed the top of the hole open the needed 2MM to allow the back of the handle to come up to center with the spear. This hole has to remain a friction fit with the shank of the door handle otherwise you'll never get it tight so a backfill of weld was added to the bottom of the hole to get the size back. Weld ground back level here and traced for final hole shape filing. Problem solved and back to blocking.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	image_62945.jpg Views:	3 Size:	134.5 KB ID:	108979 Back to block shaping across the door gaps.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	image_62946.jpg Views:	3 Size:	134.8 KB ID:	108980 Aggressively blocking and leveling for contour and to thin out this filler as much as I possibly can before I loose the shape and destroy what I'm trying to build. Its a balancing act for sure...

More later, thanks for stopping by!
            Justin
            Last edited by JTR70; 05-31-2020, 09:25 PM.
            Justin Rio

Comment

• Very impressive Justin. I have been sidetracked fixing up a few rust spots and replacing rear bumper on a 2004 Tahoe for daughter. Hope to start some block sanding on Foam Car this summer and may have some questions for you.

Comment

• JTR70
                JTR70 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Phil! Glad to help if I can..

• That door and its gaps I really like!

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
                JTR70 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks again Roy, She's getting there.

• Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5679.JPG Views:	0 Size:	113.0 KB ID:	109048 I left the corner on this new skin on the long side to give me the option of removing more solder from the rocker side to reestablish the gap. Doesn't seem like it but I'm always looking for angles to reduce the filler if I can.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5683.JPG Views:	0 Size:	104.1 KB ID:	109049 Another round of sealer and eventual work coat.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5682.JPG Views:	0 Size:	80.9 KB ID:	109050Corner gap just about shaped and opened back up where I need it. I didn't get very far on the rocker side. I removed just a touch of lead and I was almost immediately into the steel so I ended up filing the skin to get it the rest of the. Its nice that its mostly steel around this corner though. Had a slight jog in the gap just above the corner as you can see; always something to to chase down it seems.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5686.JPG Views:	0 Size:	125.6 KB ID:	109051 Door removed and laid flat on my table for more aggressive long boarding. Doing a little heat shrinking along the way. Very, very carefully this time.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5687.JPG Views:	0 Size:	115.1 KB ID:	109052 Remounted and pulling out the spear holes to reduce filer thickness. A lot of little things all going on as it progresses.
              Thanks for looking!
              Justin
              Last edited by JTR70; 06-10-2020, 08:50 AM.
              Justin Rio

Comment

• More gap clean up:

Name:	IMG_5692.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	109081
                Long blocking down the side continues.

Name:	IMG_5695.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	109084 Gap width is established on the upper portion of the shoulder but down into the gap shows excess lead that still needs thinning and shaping.

Name:	IMG_5696.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	109082 Door removed to file down that inner shoulder. Had to take care not to remove anymore along the outer corner while I was at it.

Name:	IMG_5697.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	109080reinstalled and now a clean uncluttered view down into the bottom of the gap.

Name:	IMG_5698.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	109083
                back to long blocking and just about chased as far as I can for now. Another round of sealer and work coat next to see what I have.
                Thanks for looking!
                Justin
                Justin Rio

Comment

• Rinse and repeat:
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5704.JPG Views:	0 Size:	118.0 KB ID:	109089Another sealer and test coat. The reflection across the gaps is getting better.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5711.JPG Views:	0 Size:	145.0 KB ID:	109090 Up top however I have a slight high spot at the forward edge of the door that bumps the reflection as it moves across.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5712.JPG Views:	0 Size:	90.5 KB ID:	109091 Final door edge thickness will be totally acceptable.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5752.JPG Views:	0 Size:	137.1 KB ID:	109092 Back to aggressive long boarding to shape the entire run but with that forward high spot in mind.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5734.JPG Views:	0 Size:	142.8 KB ID:	109093 Still couldn't get it down enough and I was now into the lead so the door was removed for filing. I'll win eventually
                  Last edited by JTR70; 06-18-2020, 07:54 AM.
                  Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin it seems so true photographs hide the truth sometimes. Before you finally had to take the door off again from the photos it looked so good! I looked and could not see the problem. But agree when its in front of your eyes it must have shown lead was needed. It proves a point never buy a car without seeing it with your own eyes however good it looks in photos. I still think many would not have noticed it though. That door will be perfect!

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
                      JTR70 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah Roy, a still photo can only show a part of the story. When your actually able to view the reflection moving across the body that's when the rest of the story is told. You're right, most would never catch what's driving me crazy but I have to like it to be able to sleep at night. LOL. It won't be perfect but it will be to my liking. Thanks again!

Justin

• Fender top to door transition trying my patience
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5736.JPG Views:	0 Size:	158.4 KB ID:	109116 another sealer and work coat.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5738.JPG Views:	0 Size:	208.9 KB ID:	109120
                    Initial long boarding seemed promising
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5752.JPG Views:	0 Size:	137.1 KB ID:	109117 But there where waves and rollers that remained and just would not level out. I kept chasing it and before the session was over I had it down about as far as I could go. More sealer.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5835.JPG Views:	0 Size:	114.5 KB ID:	109118 Another work coat laid down before I left for the night. It was better but the front of the door was still a bit too high.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_63018.jpg Views:	3 Size:	140.0 KB ID:	109119The next session was focused on this high spot in the door and at the end this pesky spot was now back to the steel. Contour with the fender was slightly better but too high to leave. Bashing this in wasn't an option but the door had to come in just a touch more. No two ways about it as I wasn't going to add unnecessary filler to fender side to "catch it back up". Had to bring this door in further.
                    Last edited by JTR70; 06-22-2020, 08:51 AM.
                    Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5836.JPG Views:	0 Size:	133.8 KB ID:	109124 The problem was there were no shims and adjustment ability inward up here to make that happen. I knew I didn't need much though, probably not even half the thickness of a thin shim to give me what I was looking for.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5837.JPG Views:	0 Size:	142.2 KB ID:	109123 So, did the only thing I could do, I began shaving off some thickness on the hinge mounting surface.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5838.JPG Views:	0 Size:	130.4 KB ID:	109122 took a little off the mount side as well for good measure and to square it up a touch more.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5839.JPG Views:	0 Size:	84.9 KB ID:	109125 It took a couple of tries but I finally got the needed drop in the doors surface in relation to the fender. Again, it didn't need much.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5840.JPG Views:	0 Size:	165.4 KB ID:	109126 Quick block sand reveals that leading edge is now low and the area an inch behind it now runs about even and in contour with the fender (where the sand paper has contacted it). Before the filing I had the leaded edge even with the fender but the high spot of steel behind it was the culprit which was ruining my line. This high spot now falls into much better alignment; I finally turned the corner on this area. Back filling that low leading edge of the door to finish it out. What a PIA this all was. Back to blocking and swatching.

Thanks for looking!
                      Justin
                      Last edited by JTR70; 06-22-2020, 09:21 AM.
                      Justin Rio

Comment

• Getting it closer to final shape but still finding flaws that I don't like.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5892.JPG Views:	0 Size:	145.7 KB ID:	109171 One more aggressive leveling session to both thin and true the surface just a little more. Another sealer and work coat was next.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5930.JPG Views:	0 Size:	123.5 KB ID:	109172 Blocking that next round and I thought I was about done chasing this area through layers but the rear lip of the fender opening had a just a touch too much muscle (or flare) in as the reflection came off the door. I wrested with just leaving it but I had come this far so off I went. Thinned and leveled the fender as far as I could but the wired edge itself was still too strong. Sort of bowed and flared just a touch too much.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5932.JPG Views:	0 Size:	92.4 KB ID:	109173
                        I got the wired lip to come in by carefully hitting it right between the shoulders of this dolly. It was a pretty long expanse so I had to work it slow to keep it even , not take it too far or put a Jog in the Profile.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5929.JPG Views:	0 Size:	137.1 KB ID:	109174
                        Eventually got the rear lip profile to lay down a little softer. All done and ready for yet another coat of sealer.

Name:	image_63058.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	109175 Moving my way rearward in between work coats. As tough as the left side of this car was this right side proved to be far more problematic but its almost there. Thank the lord.

Thanks for stopping by!
                        Justin
                        Last edited by JTR70; 06-28-2020, 07:42 AM.
                        Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                        X