• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5415.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	108339 The flange was only fused at the edge below this screw so this detail was replicated. Note the hammer marks along the edge, those where pecked in at the factory so this skin was also a touch too long for the coupe it originally came on as well. Begin filling those plug welds next right after a check of that newly welded up corner edge.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5416.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	108340 Couldn't be happier than that. Maybe some filing later but not much.

Name:	IMG_5417.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	108341
    Forward reshaping done; back to plug welding then onto the lower and back edge.

Name:	IMG_5420.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	108342 A break from plug welding to crimp the lower flange in tight.

Name:	IMG_5421.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	108343 Entire lower run clamped down tight with rear corner welded up like the front. Only three spaced out spot welds secured the lower flange so three plugs went in to replicate that.

Thanks for looking!
    Justin

Justin Rio

Comment

• Great effort Justin. I bet you are pleased with the way this door is going!
      Roy

Comment

• JTR70
        JTR70 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Roy! I'm just glad to be about finished with all of this, to say that it has been frustrating is an understatement. Justin

• Rebuilding the rear leading edge and setting the rear gap.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5425.JPG Views:	0 Size:	123.8 KB ID:	108457 Not a large area but a lot of time spent here rebuilding this entire run. Starting with adding in a new flange section through the center.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5426.JPG Views:	0 Size:	111.8 KB ID:	108458 and welding up the leading edge I had ground though to create the needed 3mm+ gap with the car.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5455.JPG Views:	0 Size:	120.9 KB ID:	108459 New flange extension add in the center with initial gap set up.Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5457.JPG Views:	0 Size:	140.2 KB ID:	108460
      Had to continue adding to the edge both above and below it to get the edge uniform.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5463.JPG Views:	0 Size:	127.5 KB ID:	108461 The remaining shortfalls were too small for any sort of patch section so all I could do was add weld runs onto the edge.
      Justin Rio

Comment

• Rear edge rebuild complete:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5466.JPG Views:	0 Size:	133.8 KB ID:	108463 Back taped for my 3MM+ gap then the excess shoulder was ground back. Of course I still had a few low spots here and there that required a second pass of weld.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_62630.jpg Views:	3 Size:	115.1 KB ID:	108464
        Didn't get off easy as I had to do the entire edge of this door before it was over.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5469.JPG Views:	0 Size:	119.3 KB ID:	108465 But eventually got the consistent edge shape I was after. Have to open up that corner but I'll remove from the car side since there is some solder that can go there.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5470.JPG Views:	0 Size:	126.2 KB ID:	108466 Once its all over and painted this leading edge of the door won't be but a MM or two thicker than it is now; which was also what I'm after.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5468.JPG Views:	0 Size:	148.3 KB ID:	108467 I'll keep perfecting the gap as the body work phase continues but the basic shape is at least in steel on the door side.

Not out of the woods in through here yet. The gap is done but I've got panel alignment issues and uniformity to deal with now. Especially at the bottom corner. Tackling this next

Thanks for stopping by!
        Justin
        Last edited by JTR70; 04-19-2020, 07:49 AM.
        Justin Rio

Comment

• Nice work Justin - time consuming but patience pays off. Notice you have the door latch in - do you have the striker plate in as well so the door is pre-fitted sort of a the moment. I have been working on the doors for rough fit but do not install the door latch yet = maybe a good idea before I finish the edging?
          1960 356B T5 - under major resurrection.
          356 Registry main thread;
          http://forum.porsche356registry.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35854
          1968 912 - running like a scalded cat.

Comment

• JTR70
            JTR70 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks again Scott! Yes, its all latched and under the added tension of the rubber seal as it goes. Definitely, you'll want all your closing panels in their as close as possible "loaded" position as you finalize their shape. Justin

• door gaps dialed and now onto the next set of problems:

Name:	IMG_5471.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	108520 After all the planning and prep by the time I had the skin and frame welded together the damn thing just changed on me. The lower corner was now curved in way too tight.

Name:	IMG_5472.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	108521 The entire run just under the door handle was now below fender line.

Name:	IMG_5474.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	108522 Wasn't going to be able to correct it by bending the flanges out or by filling it so the frame had to be relief cut and brought back out. Test section tacked in here now widens it the 6mm's I needed back.

Name:	IMG_5475.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	108523 Just a touch low now but back on the right track. One more adjustment would do it.

Name:	IMG_5480.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	108524 Entire back vertical run now back within striking distance. Pulling the latch out wasn't going to fix this because everything above the door handle would have then been out.
          Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5482.JPG Views:	0 Size:	141.7 KB ID:	108526 back filler strips tacked in and now ready for final welding and dressing. One more down...
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5485.JPG Views:	0 Size:	150.2 KB ID:	108527
            The last inch of the rear window opening crowded out the glass channel so I to relief cut a few inches more to gradually move it back the needed 2mm's.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5484.JPG Views:	0 Size:	123.1 KB ID:	108528
            I had the top side opening clear but the skins inner flange would not allow enough movement for the length of this stud to clear for both install and removal.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5486.JPG Views:	0 Size:	107.8 KB ID:	108529 Looked to the other door to see what was done. The someone a long time ago just oblonged the hole to get this all to slip by that inner flange.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5487.JPG Views:	0 Size:	124.8 KB ID:	108530 Didn't want to do that with this side so I made recessed shape which I'll install in that corner allowing the necessary clearance for install and removal all the while leaving the topside opening width alone.

Thanks for looking!
            Justin
            Last edited by JTR70; 04-22-2020, 07:48 AM.
            Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin, that lower door adjustment had me foxed till you sliced it open and made corrections. The work involved to get that looking so good without even any lead is beyond me. Well done that door was a real job in itself to do let alone all the other work you have done. There must be a lot of 356 cars around you would never want to even start working on or if you did you could spend half your life trying to complete it.

Trouble is, get for example one side done properly and you then have to face the other side! All of this on a car the previous restorer said was ready for paint! The experience gained though on all this body work must be invaluable its certainly opened up my eyes!

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
                JTR70 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi Roy, I really hated to relief cut that again but once I had gotten the rest of the door align with that lower run now locked in low I was left with only two choices; either use filler to catch it up or cut it free and move it where its now needed. I guess I could have left it misaligned but I don't think that would have gone over well. Thanks again for all the great words Roy!
                Justin

• Metal finishing front and rear upper corners:
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5492.JPG Views:	0 Size:	146.5 KB ID:	108661 rear door glass opening modification all stitched back together
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5535.JPG Views:	0 Size:	156.4 KB ID:	108662 Back upper corner now fully finished and ready for a skim of solder.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5521.JPG Views:	0 Size:	135.6 KB ID:	108663 Moved onto finishing out the welding to the forward upper corner.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5534.JPG Views:	0 Size:	176.1 KB ID:	108664 Now also in the done column and ready for final solder.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5536.JPG Views:	0 Size:	143.2 KB ID:	108665 Turned my attention back to the bottom to finish this door out and before the session was over I found myself relief cutting the entire run again to allow the lower edge to come out the needed 5mm for level with the rocker once again. I don't know how it happened but by the time this door was welded back together it just changed on me. Couldn't beat the edge out as it was too far for that to work. No choice, had to add the width back in.
              Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5538.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	108667 Only thing that kept me sane was it was giving me the body alignment off the edge of the rocker that I wanted.

Name:	IMG_5540.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	108668 Couldnt have the bottom edge of the door thick with filler either.

Name:	IMG_5539.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	108669 All set now onto the teadious and unpleasant chore of welding the door frame back up.

Name:	IMG_5541.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	108670 Rear all stitched and dressed. ready for final solder.

Name:	IMG_5542.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	108671 Now onto back filling this bottom run then I'll finally be done welding on this door.

Thanks for looking!
                Justin
                Justin Rio

Comment

• Door rebuild rodo completed:
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5554.JPG Views:	0 Size:	149.3 KB ID:	108673 Had to take this slow and in small section to keep from getting overwhelmed. Eventually got it all knocked out though.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5551.JPG Views:	0 Size:	127.8 KB ID:	108674 Entire door skin redo had mercifully come to an end.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5552.JPG Views:	0 Size:	137.9 KB ID:	108675 Raw door and fitment now ready for final gap and finishing in body solder.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5553.JPG Views:	0 Size:	133.9 KB ID:	108676 I've done it both ways and I can firmly attest that its much tougher and demanding to build a door/closing panel to an existing body opening versus building the body around an existing closing panel.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5556.JPG Views:	0 Size:	142.3 KB ID:	108677 Won't need a ton of filler to take it the rest of the way in so all that extra aggravation paid off. Now that its done I'm feeling less stressed about it. I do really like the fact that an old original skin on a dead door has at least gotten a second chance during this process. Body solder next...
                  Thanks for looking!
                  Justin
                  Last edited by JTR70; 05-04-2020, 09:20 AM.
                  Justin Rio

Comment

• lead solder:
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5575.JPG Views:	0 Size:	157.0 KB ID:	108753 Surface lead wiped in tinning acid and now ready for the solder.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5578.JPG Views:	0 Size:	139.7 KB ID:	108754 Decided to apply the solder flat this time for quicker and better formed result. Metal "form" is clamped into the place to created the new baseline gap.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5579.JPG Views:	0 Size:	145.0 KB ID:	108755 recycled lead now applied and pushed in tightly against the form.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5580.JPG Views:	0 Size:	133.3 KB ID:	108756 Initial gap with minor divots. Will take it the rest of the way with regular body filler.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5581.JPG Views:	0 Size:	148.8 KB ID:	108757 Continuing upward.

Last edited by JTR70; 05-11-2020, 07:17 AM.
                    Justin Rio

Comment

• Forward edge complete:
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5583.JPG Views:	0 Size:	145.1 KB ID:	108759 Little trickier along the hard turn so I had to map it out in tape so I could set the form accurately while off the car.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5587.JPG Views:	0 Size:	169.5 KB ID:	108760 Leading edge now fully soldered . Raw gap with the usual divots.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5589.JPG Views:	0 Size:	174.5 KB ID:	108761 File shaping for the contour and gap.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5590.JPG Views:	0 Size:	176.6 KB ID:	108762 Close enough; again, will get the rest of the flaws out with regular filler.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5563.JPG Views:	0 Size:	163.6 KB ID:	108763 Loaded up a bare engine block with 225+ pounds of junk to simulate the eventual engine so I can set my final door gaps to a preloaded chassis.

Thanks for looking!
                      Justin
                      Last edited by JTR70; 05-11-2020, 07:17 AM.
                      Justin Rio

Comment

• Final loose ends of this right side door redo:

Name:	IMG_5629.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	108835 Door bottom modification at long last all welded up and dressed. This correction was particularly miserable because its was such a long run. A lot welding but even more grinding and finishing. It was nice to be done with this.

Name:	IMG_5615.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	108836 Onto soldering up the rear jamb and edges of this door.

Name:	IMG_5616.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	108837 Rear jamb soldered and finished. Will get that last 10% in primer and putty.

Name:	IMG_5617.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	108839
                        Main detail concern is that this leading edge of the door stay crisp and thin when the door is opened.

Name:	IMG_5618.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	108838 Back to file shaping the front now.

Justin Rio

Comment

• Right side door redo complete.

Name:	IMG_5619.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	108841 initial top side gap. A little tight in spots but good enough for now.

Name:	IMG_5630.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	108842 Heat shrinking a few stubborn high spots in the skin profile. Those Pull-holes from a very old damage repair attempt were among the trouble areas.

Name:	IMG_5632.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	108843 Gone about as far as I can in raw metal. I splashed some water on it to give an honest representation as to the condition of the skin. Lots of waves and rollers remain but not heinous. A skim coat of putty will take it the rest of the way.

Name:	IMG_5635.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	108844
                          By contrast a dry matt finished metal surface can certainly give the illusion that the panel is nicer than it really is.

Name:	IMG_5634.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	108845 Ready for its first coat of epoxy sealer. A very long and painful chapter but its now in rear view; thankfully.

Justin
                          Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                          X