Views:	344
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	91984
    trevorcgates@gmail.com
    Engine # P66909... are you out there
    Fun 356 events in SoCal = http://356club.org/

Comment

Trevor, very nice work.

One thing to remember: A 356 is widest at the upper door hinge areas of the door skins and gently curves to the front and rear.

Thus, I trust your level is not being used as a straight edge, as the door skins are a mix of high and low crown compound curves. The inner top edge next to the glass is the only straight edge on any 356 door as far as I know. I see no light at either end of the level in the shadow picture...and I worry. Hopefully to no avail. Please tell me that you have that covered......

As posted before here and in another life, on the R forum, I copied (and like to think I improved upon) an idea I borrowed from the late Harvey Smith. A seam form I made from a good door as an example comprised of slightly arched steel bar stock on either side of the seam, bridged by ever-so-slightly bowed rod stock across the seam of the "usual" distance up (which is lower on a typical rusty door than what you, Justin and I have been trying on this thread). I use an old aluminum yardstick and some big customized clamps squeezing inside to outside with the aluminum on the inside as a weld control and heat sink and then just make short beads (more like a longer tack weld) and lace it up end, middle, end, back and forth until the seam is solid. Not much distortion and a good subtle curve locked in.

Or I use a whole door skin.......

-Bruce

Comment

Hi Bruce - Good eye! No worries, I have that handled. The level is about 1" thick, so difficult for light to get through on the ends. Here's a few more pics where the light passing through at the front and back is more evident. Still needs a touch more crown in the middle which will return when I planish out the weld.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0968.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	92014

Name:	IMG_0969.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	92015

Name:	IMG_0970.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	92016
        trevorcgates@gmail.com
        Engine # P66909... are you out there
        Fun 356 events in SoCal = http://356club.org/

Comment

Thanks again Bruce I really appreciate the nice words and of course the warnings of the pitfalls that are ahead. As I was comparing the new skin the thought of door handle mount height discrepancies did creep in for second. Thanks for highlighting that detail. Well, if Trevor builds his skins for T2 I'm safe but I will most certainly double check as its being fitted. Your horror story of repeated attempts to get that door right make my head swim. Though very costly you certainly got fitting beautifully; if that's any consolation.
          Thank you once again!

Your skin repair is coming along great Trevor! Its a luxury having Bruce here to help illuminate our paths forward.

Justin

10/5/17

Name:	IMG_5637.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	92020
          Acid bath

Name:	IMG_5638.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	92021
          Most of the old rust dissolved but not all of it, Needed another dunk.

Name:	IMG_5640.JPG
Views:	344
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	92022
          Clean and prepped for the new patch. I thought about a quick sealer coat but there is too much welding and torch heat yet to come so it would never survive. Black oxide was the best I could do here.

Name:	IMG_5641.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	92023
          Begin stitching in the new patch. So far so good and continuing on tomorrow.

Thanks for stopping by!
          Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

Thanks Justin for the "illumination" reference...but let's remember we all learn from each other, help each other.

You wrote; "I thought about a quick sealer coat but there is too much welding and torch heat yet to come so it would never survive."

Justin, you are so correct....plus any coating makes for difficulty in getting really good welds. TIG is particularly effected by ANYTHING and wants absolutely clean metal! The door skin I scrapped had not been cleaned well enough in the close forward area and my TIGging was hampered by dirty welds that MIG would have ignored.

Trevor, I like that word "planishing." It is so much more elegant than "beating the snot out of a weld, metal-to-metal, hammer and dolly, to make thinner metal take up more space and thus raise the low crown."

BTW, What I've been told by 'real' welders and for those who may not already know, planishing a MIG weld is risky, as the process happens too quickly to allow a normalization of the weld and welded metal and even though while covered by a shielding inert gas while melting the metals, molecular crystallization from oxygen absorption can form while cooling (as the shielding gas stops when the wire stops), so striking can fracture the perimeter of the actual weld. TIG and gas welding allow a forging of the weld without the jeopardy. Oxyacetylene is best for the forging of a weld in sheet metal... but is most difficult to control unless the welder has experience and quickness, a rhythm.

From the Nothing New dept.-
            When all is finished, my solution has always been to have a nice spot to lean the door up against some cardboard and on some double thick cardboard on the floor and just pour in some slightly thinned 1K red-brown primer and turn the door on each of the 4 sides for a few minutes each, especially the front, rear and bottom, the bottom bolt holes and drains and other openings tightly taped to contain the slosh. As the thinner exposed primer begins to dry, lay it on it's outer skin so excess can drain into the center where a rubber-gloved hand with some old cloth or paper towels can spread/mop it around everywhere, even the inside of the inside frame and remove what's absorbed. I do the same with lids and the whole chassis (seams, especially, when on the rotisserie) as well.

Great work!
            Bruce

Comment

Bruce,

Most interesting comments about planishing MIG welding and being most careful!! This door repair thread is so useful and the photos have been really good. I have spoken too many times about my door and re-skinning half of it with gas welding. Enough to say its so interesting for me to follow this to see where I went wrong. However my drivers door nearly 40 years after I did the work, turned out well in the end, but is heavier than the passenger door !! I guess you all know why!

Roy

Comment

"However my drivers door nearly 40 years after I did the work, turned out well in the end, but is heavier than the passenger door !! I guess you all know why!"

Supplemental interior sound-deadening made of thick lead/beryllium matting?

-Bruce
                Hoping the 356 doesn't lean when the door is opened..... If it does and you used a gas torch and lead filler and filed until your arms felt like the lead you were filing....who cares, you did it yourself, 'way before sites like this could exist!
                You are to be admired. Most of us who had a 356 50+ years ago sold them and I, for one, cannot afford to replace my first $500 Speedster! I see "project" Speedsters start at a quarter-mil!

Comment

Ah Bruce,

Didn't take long for you to work that out Yes the old lead sticks came into play. From my memory I tried to use a dolly and the holes in the interior side of the door gave me little room. I can see why he is going to use that TIG in slow small sections. I tried that too, but it didn't work. However more than once, a person has told me how my drivers door has the same closing sound as a Rolls Royce, a real 'thunk'
                  I attach a pic of my door I took a week ago and I put elsewhere on this forum, I reckon I was lucky to get away with it.

Name:	2017_1147356sideandengineandhoodphotos009.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	92111

Comment

that's a cool looking car roy!

Comment

I think you're selling yourself way too short Roy. The very fact that your bodywork and paint are still intact and stable after 40 years is the ultimate test of time and a true indicator of the competency and level of work that was performed. Your earlier comments tell me that you are concerned about the thicknesses in some areas but its obviously not a factor. The age of your finish I think raises the value of your car so those tiny blisters be damned I wouldn't touch it. Nothing more suspect and scary then a freshly repainted unknown 356 up on the market. God knows whats under that new paint and what gremlins are waiting to spring up; with your car, what you see is what you're getting. You did a commendable job on her and she still looks great!

10/8/17
                      Short session

Name:	IMG_5654.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	92178
                      Just enough time to finish welding in the new forward section

Name:	IMG_5655.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	92179
                      and to dress the welds.

Name:	IMG_5656.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	92180
                      The exposed portion of this patch will clean up quick. Begin fitting the new bottom on next.
                      Thanks for looking!
                      Justin
                      Justin Rio

Comment

10/11/17

Prepping for new door bottom.

Name:	IMG_5658.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	92278
                        Picking out the last of the original door bottom flange tucked under the vertical runs.

Name:	IMG_5659.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	92279
                        Same at the rear

Name:	IMG_5660.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	92280
                        All clean and the last of the bits that needed removal.

Name:	IMG_5661.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	92281
                        Officially touched bottom as far as removal or deconstruction goes. Everything from here on in will be building the door back up.

Name:	IMG_5662.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	92282
                        Begin locating and rough fitting the new bottom.

Name:	IMG_5665.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	92283
                        To help me with the fore and aft adjustment I mocked up the door frame with the its footings.

Name:	IMG_5664.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	92284
                        Also gave me a chance to figure out if Trevor's prepunched holes where going to work with this frame or if I'd be filling these and drilling new ones.

Name:	IMG_5663.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	92285
                        The holes would work just fine and I now had my baseline orientation to work from.

Name:	IMG_5666.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	92286
                        cautiously trimming back the excess.

Name:	IMG_5667.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	92287
                        Rough cuts though as I left a touch extra for the unexpected adjustment as fitting continues.

Name:	IMG_5668.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	92288
                        Inner flange not only too long but also too tall.

Name:	IMG_5669.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	92289
                        Removed 20mm's in sections to more closely match the original.

Name:	IMG_5670.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	92290
                        Initial trimming complete here and onto fitting the forward tray area under the hinge next. This thread is a little behind and will try and get it current by tomorrow.
                        Thanks for looking!
                        Justin
                        Justin Rio

Comment

Nice work Justin. I remember going through this on Foam Cars doors(much worse) and thinking how nice it was to be working on an assembly that you could easily orient, as opposed to my non rottiserie body.

Comment

Thanks Phil! I don't know, another door would be a better way to go on anything much worse than this. The time I have involved in it already is beginning to prove that out but it is after all the original door to this car. A rotisserie to me is like A/C you could certainly get along without it but life is so much more pleasant with, than without it.

10/12/17
                            New door bottom fitment continued

Name:	IMG_5672.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	92331
                            While adjusting for lateral fitment I almost mindlessly set the bottom flange for level up front here like you're supposed to do at the back. Luckily I realized that there has to be a relief step in it to accomidate that leading edge flange in the skin. Metal ruler laying on top represents the eventual skin and how much the bottom flange must rise up to meet it.

Name:	IMG_5673.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	92332
                            Relief isn't perfect but its close enough for now. Original section laid over top to compare that needed step.

Name:	IMG_5674.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	92333
                            With the inner flange set I have an issue on the opposite side. The inner flange overshoots the door by about 6mm.

Name:	IMG_5676.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	92334
                            At about the midpoint back the flange sits nice and flush against the door. This means that the trajectory of the bend was set just a touch too wide; at least for this particular application. Left it for now and will adjust later.

Name:	IMG_5677.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	92336
                            Templated and folded the inner pan to further lock in the outer established lower flange.

Name:	IMG_5678.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	92335
                            New mount flange a little short as this is where Trevor made the cut but I'll tack on a little more length later.

Name:	IMG_5679.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	92337
                            Double checked my relief step at the lower edge and all is well enough.

Name:	IMG_5680.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	92338
                            Again this forward overshoot will have to fixed but later.

Name:	IMG_5681.JPG
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	92339
                            Length added and final tab shapes trimmed in to replicate what was originally there.

Name:	IMG_5682.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	92340
                            After a bit more fine trimming I had the entire piece clamped into near final position. Time to add in a few set screws next.
                            Thanks for looking!
                            Justin
                            Justin Rio

Comment

10/13/17
                              Test

Name:	IMG_5687.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	92379
                              Initial set screwed position. As tightening went some torsional force seemed present so I mounted it back on the car to see how much it was possibly changing on me.

Name:	IMG_5683.JPG
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	92380
                              Also mocked up the window frame to see how it was still going to clear the opening.

Name:	IMG_5684.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	92381
                              To my great relief it cleared and fit almost the same as before.

Name:	IMG_5685.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	92382
                              This also confirmed that the bottom and the embossed areas are at the right height to work with the frame and its footings.

Name:	IMG_5690.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	92383
                              A flush fit at the base with the right approach angle. Going a little too smoothly here. BTW: notice the right side door in the background. Its clearly going to be a repeat.

Name:	IMG_5689.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	92384
                              Same at the rear mount as well.

Name:	IMG_5686.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	92385

so far so good and now time to break it all back down

Name:	IMG_5688.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	92386
                              and fix this fitment issue so I can get this bottom welded in for good.

Name:	IMG_5691.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	92387
                              Need to quicken this bend about this much...

Name:	IMG_5692.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	92388
                              Chalked up and ready to adjust. Thought about just cutting and welding it back up but I prefer to keep panels in one piece if I can help it.

Name:	IMG_5693.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	92389
                              Used some heat so I wouldn't have to beat the holy hell out of it to get it to move; Easier on everybody this way.

Name:	IMG_5694.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	92390
                              New bend line well established here but I stopped short as my initial hammer form is too sharp. The final bend is much softer so my search for a closer shape began so I could finish heeling this over.

Name:	IMG_5695.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	92391
                              This length angle iron had really nice soft radius edge. Amazes me sometimes that I have just enough junk in this tiny shop to get me by.

Name:	IMG_5697.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	92392
                              That turned the trick: DONE!

Name:	IMG_5696.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	92393
                              Now onto finishing out the remaining loose ends so I can get this new bottom welded in.
                              Thanks for stopping by!
                              Justin
                              Justin Rio

Comment

Justin, when you are all finished your exemplary work of rehab, mimic the old factory brochures with the "see-through" illustrations of the 356 and finish the outer skin with Lexan sheet so your work is always on display!
                                Better yet, color-code what is original and what is your fabrication and new work all over the 356 of your choice.
                                Hey...likely better to this audience than what Janis did with her Cabriolet!

-Bruce

Comment

Working...
                                X