1959 356A S/R coupe project chassis # 108625

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tow hook fitment continued:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0308.jpg Views:	0 Size:	245.5 KB ID:	114106 Flange cut free of the hook for refitting and adjustment. The ears have been bent over at this point for clearance with the center rib.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0309.jpg Views:	0 Size:	205.3 KB ID:	114107 Hook was then mocked up for an immediate improved fitment. Cutting it apart for readjustment definitely turned the trick and is more confirmation that you just can't assume these repro parts will fit right out of the box correctly.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0310.jpg Views:	0 Size:	225.3 KB ID:	114108 Getting ready to tack it back together but making sure it was sitting square before I committed .
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0311.jpg Views:	0 Size:	215.9 KB ID:	114109 Tacked back together with the hook moved back a few MM's more so the rear rivets would clear the cross brace on the other side and with an adjusted angle in relation with the flange allowing it to mount flush against floor.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0312.jpg Views:	3 Size:	187.2 KB ID:	114110 This was the fit and finish I was after and matches up with Roy's confirmation photo as best as I could hope for.
    Last edited by JTR70; 05-24-2023, 06:56 PM.
    Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0314.jpg Views:	0 Size:	175.6 KB ID:	114112 Rearward rivets now exit out as closely as I could to the original floor example I posted earlier.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0316.jpg Views:	0 Size:	178.3 KB ID:	114113 Hook stitched back together though gas welded this time for a more OG appearance. Testing refitting the rivets for clearance before final installation.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0317.jpg Views:	0 Size:	202.7 KB ID:	114114 Begin rivet installation working from the center out.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0318.jpg Views:	0 Size:	228.8 KB ID:	114115 Trickiest part about this stage is doing it on my own. I had to come up with a stable enough platform to hold my bucking board (pictured in the vice jaws here) while allowing the pan to rest freely as I torch heated the rivet with my lefthand while holding my rivetter in my right then quickly putting the torch down to begin working the rivet before it cooled. A challenge but slowly replacing these bolts as it goes...
      Thanks for looking!
      Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

• It will look perfect Justin and will work perfectly too I think. In the 54 years in my ownership only ever used the tow hook once. It got the car home for me !

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
          JTR70 commented
          Editing a comment
          I hear you Roy, just like the jack spurs nobody really uses those either but like the spurs I wanted this accessory to both look right and be functional if ever called upon. Thanks again for your help on this! Justin

• Tow hook install complete:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0321.jpg Views:	0 Size:	216.8 KB ID:	114119 Eventually got all the bolts replaced with a rivet.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0322.jpg Views:	0 Size:	190.6 KB ID:	114120 Profile fit mimics Roy's original example as best as I could hope for. The key is bowing and resetting that forward mount flange. Being my first tow hook I was on the learning curve but I'll know exactly what to do for the next one
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0319.jpg Views:	3 Size:	227.4 KB ID:	114121 Got a pretty good domed finish on this side but I did slip off the rivet from time to time so not perfect but fully formed and snuggly synched down. This new floor and closing wall are now ready to mount in.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0323.jpg Views:	3 Size:	212.8 KB ID:	114122 As tempting as adding another new piece is it is much easier and more accessible to finish all the welding and finishing duties on the ID panel and vertical wall first. It all has to be done at some point and I'm all for making the experience as pleasant as possible when I can.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0324.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	114123 Prepping the forward wiring harness conduit for a seam weld all around the lip as originally done.
        Last edited by JTR70; 05-27-2023, 08:16 AM.
        Justin Rio

Comment

• Rearward wall and ID panel loose ends:
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0327.jpg Views:	0 Size:	240.7 KB ID:	114125 Tube end fused to the wall as originally found. Extra care was taken to make sure this opening was as soft, smooth and blunt as possible as not to cut into or chafe the eventual wiring harness that will exit from it. Right now was definitely the time to address this before the rest of the battery box goes in.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0325.jpg Views:	0 Size:	225.1 KB ID:	114126 Heading up both sides of the ID panel next to plug weld the old spot welds and finish out these leading edge corners.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0328.jpg Views:	0 Size:	239.5 KB ID:	114127 Corner and leading edge fused with a gas weld as originally.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0330.jpg Views:	0 Size:	255.8 KB ID:	114128 Then onto the right side. All that was left was the plug welds.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0332.jpg Views:	0 Size:	248.5 KB ID:	114129 Welding duties all but completed on these two panels. Just have grind finish that long seam weld at the back where it was cut free and the plug weld heads along the sides. Then the new floor and front closing wall go in for good. Getting close.

Thanks for looking!

Justin
          Last edited by JTR70; 05-27-2023, 08:39 AM.
          Justin Rio

Comment

• Great Justin, a nice place to be in after doing all that work!!!

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
              JTR70 commented
              Editing a comment
              Its been a ton of prep work Roy!

• The last of the loose ends before the new floor and front wall go in.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0334.jpg Views:	0 Size:	495.5 KB ID:	114140 Now was the time to finish removing the last of the remains of the original upper closing wall's double lap joint.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0340.jpg Views:	0 Size:	193.0 KB ID:	114139 A PIA to remove but just about cleaned up here.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0335.jpg Views:	0 Size:	196.4 KB ID:	114141 Adding back in more of the peripheral parts like these lateral wiring loom tabs.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0336.jpg Views:	0 Size:	227.5 KB ID:	114142 Harvesting the original tabs from the right side wall. Easy enough to cut some new ones out of scrap but with only one spot weld it was just as easy to reuse these. I'd be adding the hole for a plug weld either way.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0339.jpg Views:	0 Size:	219.7 KB ID:	114143 Went ahead and took the forward reinforcement bracket while I was at it. The plan was to always to straighten and reuse as well.
            Last edited by JTR70; 05-30-2023, 07:10 PM.
            Justin Rio

Comment

• New battery box floor in for good!
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0337.jpg Views:	0 Size:	173.9 KB ID:	114145 Tabs harvested measured for position from the left side and ready for a plug weld. Eventual harness runs downhill to the headlight conduit so I had to remember to angle the tabs otherwise they'd fight and not clamp correctly around the harness in the direction it needs to go.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0342.jpg Views:	0 Size:	177.5 KB ID:	114146 Getting really close to final install time but I had one more thing on my checklist before I could put it in. I wanted to ensure a good coat of coverage on the underside lip of the VIN panel's leading edge so now was the time while I still had clear shot at it.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0343.jpg Views:	0 Size:	219.0 KB ID:	114147 Then a quick top coat of semi gloss. Again my main concern was the underside lip at this point.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0346.jpg Views:	0 Size:	232.2 KB ID:	114148 Now can I put this thing in? Double checked both the chassis and this last section to make sure I had all my "T's crossed". Plug weld holes, clean edges any other loose end that was easier to address before final installation.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0347.jpg Views:	0 Size:	619.3 KB ID:	114149 It was finally ready...New floor and front wall installed for good. A long road but we now have a battery box again. Synching it into position and begin tack welding next.
              Thanks for looking!

Justin
              Last edited by JTR70; 05-30-2023, 06:50 PM.
              Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin, it is of course 100% vicarious and from afar, but this is so deeply satisfying to watch. Also inspiring. Thanks as always for sharing.
                And… Hi Roy!

John

Comment

• JTR70
                  JTR70 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hello John, Thanks for saying so. It is always a great relief to get a certain aspect put to bed, especially one that has required so much prep work but this only lasts for about an evening or so as by then its time to head down into the next valley to begin a new climb. Thank you again for stopping by from time to time, its very much appreciated. Justin
                  Last edited by JTR70; 05-31-2023, 08:40 AM.

• Battery floor fully seated and ready to weld.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0349.jpg Views:	0 Size:	551.1 KB ID:	114154 I thought it was in for good but seating and clearance issues along the rear wall required another few more tries as it needed to be removed for additional fine trimming. The right side snugged right in after one small retrim but the left side fought a little harder. Eventually got it snugged down to the flanges working from the center outward as always.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0353.jpg Views:	0 Size:	221.3 KB ID:	114153 As you can see I have very little clearance or access to the rear wall flange while mounted on this bench. The plug welding along this back flange will have to wait until its back on my rotisserie. However I'll have to weld and secure it where I can to ensure this box is sound enough to carry the weight of the car as it will be mounted off of the bumper brackets .
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0350.jpg Views:	0 Size:	356.1 KB ID:	114155 Entire floor was now synched down tight against the flanges; now its ready to weld. Double checking the box for both level and square. Its good to go!
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0351.jpg Views:	0 Size:	208.3 KB ID:	114156 With heavy lifting complete on the battery box I was contemplating the next phase. Heading into the next valley John...
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0352.jpg Views:	0 Size:	204.6 KB ID:	114157 These panels will require a ton of final shaping and adjustment before it is over but they are a nice place to start. The hood will be mounted, adjusted and latched first. The adjusted and set hood will dictate where these new pieces ultimately end up. That process beginning shortly.

Thanks for looking!

Justin
                Last edited by JTR70; 05-31-2023, 08:42 AM.
                Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin the final result looks perfect you should be very pleased indeed ! You have such a good selection of clamps. I know I keep saying it but the importance of good clamping is everything in getting the positions correct. Just like the Cellette the correct tool gives you confidence in knowing its right. And hello John, pleased you have found this thread of Justins so interesting like I have . Without seeing all those thought out procedures there are so many area's that would have had me guessing and scratching my head!!
                  It all looks so easy but.. take it from me, thats not the case at all!

Roy

Comment

• JTR70
                    JTR70 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you Roy, I'm just glad to be getting close to the end of the chassis repair stage. I have just enough clamps to get me by but I definitely need to expand my collection. Agree, having the right tools makes all the difference in the world. Thanks again! Justin

• Battery box welding:
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0363.jpg Views:	3 Size:	225.8 KB ID:	114164 After welding up the lateral flanges along the sides of the front wall it was now onto adding the reinforcing plates to the back side. Original plate nearly went back into its original position. The spot welds shifted slightly but was most important was the bolt hole alignment. All set and ready for welding here.

Name:	IMG_0364.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	114165 Recycling the right plate. Fortunately the mount hole wasn't predrilled so positioning it to match the left was simpler.

Name:	IMG_0366.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	114166 Drilled bolted, clamped and now ready to be plug welded from the outside.

Name:	IMG_0367.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	114167 Then it was onto adding a lap plate across the top of the corner joint.

Name:	IMG_0369.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	569.6 KB
ID:	114168 Another build detail easily overlooked unless you have an original reference as a guide...
                  Last edited by JTR70; 06-02-2023, 08:36 PM.
                  Justin Rio

Comment

• Box welding continued:
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0368.jpg Views:	0 Size:	205.9 KB ID:	114170 Then onto the left side. Gas welded on as the original shows.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0370.jpg Views:	0 Size:	189.6 KB ID:	114171 Then onto the later plug welds along the sides of the floor.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0371.jpg Views:	0 Size:	217.5 KB ID:	114172 Lateral plug welds complete except for some follow up finish grinding. I'm going to try and weld as many plugs as I can reach on the underside of the rear wall flange along the access hole areas next. I won't be able to weld up the center plugs until its on the rotisserie but I want to make this box as integral as I can before it goes on there and is asked to support the front of this car; Should be fine though.

Name:	IMG_0355.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	114173 With the battery box welding being nearly completed as far as I can go I'm switching gears and preparing for the next phase. I dug out all the related parts and components for the hood.

Name:	IMG_0356.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	114174 Original latch base will need some rehab but savable.
                    Last edited by JTR70; 06-02-2023, 09:00 PM.
                    Justin Rio

Comment

• Then the hood itself.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0357.jpg Views:	0 Size:	186.4 KB ID:	114176 Considering what the front of this car has been through its hood is in amazingly good condition. Some minor damage to the mount flanges and substructure but I would have expected the nose of it to be crumpled and traces of being badly folded in the middle but no. Whatever they hit must have been very low. It does have some minor rust and pitting but being how bad the rest of the car was it faired very well in this respect too. You can just make out some pin holes along the leading edge and the hood handle hole has rusted open a little larger but these are simple repairs.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0358.jpg Views:	0 Size:	152.5 KB ID:	114177 Only damage along the substructure is along this left side at mid-point where it kinked. Again the mount flange behind it is a little warped too but will correct it all as it goes. Definitely never been "gas station Attendantized", this is all old collision damage.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0359.jpg Views:	0 Size:	426.2 KB ID:	114178 And it is the original hood...625 clearly stamped in. An amazing survivor.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0360.jpg Views:	0 Size:	165.5 KB ID:	114179 As the refitting and adjustment of this hood goes there will be repairs required on the both sides of this closing panel. Right side pocket torn and tilted back slightly.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0373.jpg Views:	0 Size:	206.2 KB ID:	114180 But before I begin moving anything I wanted to do an initial mock up to see how bad it all was. The hinges didn't slide into the pockets very easily by themselves so some prying was needed. This I definitely have to have dialed in as it all must mount together as unit with the hood when its all over. I think I have the hinges switched as I could not get the drilled locating holes in the flanges to line up. Oh well, this was just the first of many mock-ups.
                      Last edited by JTR70; 06-02-2023, 09:30 PM.
                      Justin Rio

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0372.jpg Views:	0 Size:	204.4 KB ID:	114182 At least the hinge mechanisms operate like they should.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0376.jpg Views:	0 Size:	182.4 KB ID:	114183 Onto back filling this big hole.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0374.jpg Views:	0 Size:	222.5 KB ID:	114184 But everything up here revolves around a latched, adjusted and set hood first. Wading into these waters now.

Thanks for looking!

Justin
                        Last edited by JTR70; 06-02-2023, 09:40 PM.
                        Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                        X