Engine tin & other related items on my engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roy

In your engine pics on page 2 it looks like your fan shroud is the same color as your oil filter housing. Is this correct? I have read the T2 supers had a silver shroud but can't find what silver. My Fram filter is silver so I think I'll just match it. I know the later supers used a very light gray fan shroud.

Also your tins look glossy black. I like that look even though not "original".
    Mic
    1959A coupe

Comment

Mic,

My engine bay had fully original paint and decals when I bought the car in 1969. At that time I should have taken a photo but very few people took detailed photo's. My camera was a cheap Kodak and I just took photo's of the complete car till I started on the main restoration in the mid-70's. Even then you can see the quality was poor my dad took some better ones which I must get changed from the slides he had them developed as. The engine bay I started to improve
      ( thats what I thought!) as early as 1971.

To answer your questions:

1). The fan shroud was the sprayed the closest silver I could find to the original and the filter casing was all silver as well no black top. The paint is now 43 years old. The decals I bought much later from Stoddard.
      2). The generator fan blade cover that bolts onto the fan housing is still factory original and its high gloss or very near that. The oil filler is original high gloss and the black regulator is original high gloss with the original decal still in place.

3). The other engine tin I had stove enamelled shiney black to match the originals the same for the Knect air filter cans. I remember the red decals on those cans looked like water slide off versions. The ones I got from Stoddard are not the same they peeled off and now one has bubbled. The originals were really thin transfers.

4). I have had many posts on a number of forums about factory painting of engine tin. Never ever was my tin dull or matt finish. It always had a shine I remember polishing it when I first got it in the 60's. Some people have said the finish went from dull to semi high gloss. I can see my face in the generator cover after a polish!

I can say the new black Bosch coil I bought a couple of years ago is not shiney like my engine tin. I felt like spraying it but they had put the decal on it so I just fitted it.

The padded insualtion again original I have to say was originally brown which looked odd to my Meissen blue so I sprayed that black 40 years ago with black vinyl spray

Attached a pic of my engine in 71. The galvanised strap for the filter I sprayed black! now removed thwe paint back to the original finish. Likewise the rocker covers are now a silver colour.

I pic of my first body spray job about 1977.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013_1066Sidspicscarresto78BF109002.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	34993

Name:	2013_1066Sidspicscarresto78BF109003.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	34994

Roy

Comment

Hey Mic, I have been meaning to post these for about a week now. They are of my old SC engine we rebuilt about 10 years ago to sell to raise money for my coupster project.

Name:	SCMOTOR002.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	35413

Name:	SCMOTOR003.jpg
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	35414

Name:	SCMOTOR004.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	35415

Name:	SCMOTOR006.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	35416
        1964 SC engine which came in a box with the old '56 coupe my father purchased. This was a hell of an upgrade when they installed this back in the day.

Name:	SCMOTOR007.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	35417
        Shroud was urethane painted in the correct off Grey-green color.

Name:	SCMOTOR010.jpg
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	35418

Name:	SCMOTOR012.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	35419
        Everything painted black was powder coated in the correct 30% semi-gloss black.

Name:	SCMOTOR019.jpg
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	35420
        Valve covers, bails, bolts, straps, pulleys, fuel line, air cleaners where all Zinc plated.

Name:	SCMOTOR020.jpg
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	35421

Name:	SCMOTOR022.jpg
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	35422

Name:	SCMOTOR023.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	35423
        I was shooting for top dollar at the time so We went the extra mile on full detail.... Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

Thanks for all the pictures. I wish I had an update but it seems life is getting in the way right now & keeping me to busy to work on my car. I'll get back on it soon I hope.
          Mic
          1959A coupe

Comment

It seems I can't find time to work on my car so I actually put today on my schedule to do some stuff. Started painting the tins, primer is going on. I settled on a gloss black top coat for the tins. I broke down and ordered the correct oil filter canister paint from Stoddard & also the silver fan shroud paint for late A supers although the shroud paint is on back order. I just hate paying $25 for a spray can.

Due to the cold weather here I'm doing this in my house garage rather than my shop. Covered the car up & stinking up the house.

Name:	0208041036.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	36683

Name:	0208041037.jpg
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	36684
            Mic
            1959A coupe

Comment

Mic,

Little by little thats the way to keep up the interest. Sometimes there are not enough hours in the day to everything you want.

I think you will be happy with the black ending up on the shiney side. And sensible getting the correct colour from Stoddard for the canister and fan housing.

I remember putting my crankcases from a Norton I owned in my mum's oven in our house in 1961. I wanted to drop some new main bearings in the cases. Heated it up and then when I opened the oven door it was blue with engine oil smell. My mother had no idea I was doing that she went through the roof on her return, doors and windows open for hours. But the bearings straight from her fridge dropped in fine!

The only other time I upset her like that was getting my large bait can for fishing filled up with maggots from the tackle shop. Unfortuantly somehow when they were in the house the lid came off and a thousand or so maggots walked their way under carpets, rugs, furniture etc, I cannot repeat what she said about that.

Roy

Comment

Probably something like Y-O-O-Y-F-M
                Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

OH MY!

Comment

The paint I ordered from Stoddard for my fan shroud (silver for an early super) is on back order. After several e-mails/phone calls I was told they expect to receive it between 3/5 & 3/12. They will then ship it out to me. I just hate waiting. I hope they are accurate.

In a previous post Craig asked about my jetting. I replied with my best guess from some old notes. I cleaned up my carbs today & pulled the jets to see what is in it. 37mm choke tubes, 120 idle jet holders, F1070 idle jets, 145 air correctors, F7 e-tubes, 125 mains.
                    Mic
                    1959A coupe

Comment

Here is a thread to help you find the exact colors:
                      http://porsche356registry.org/356talk/1/25105.html?hilit=lenin

Comment

Mic,
                        Your 37mm venturiis (choke tubes) are too big for a 1720cc, and way to big for a 1600cc, unless this is a track motor. I'm pretty sure 34mm are available, smaller not sure. Your main jets are close (I think I'd start with 130 - 135's with 34mm's), main air jets a little small (start with 170's, and these are critical), and the rest is normal trial and error, especially idle, according to cam, CR, etc. 356's don't need much pump discharge. Most people hate carb set-up because they don't really understand how one change effects another, but I love it. The change between properly jetted and adjusted carbs, and something less can be astounding! Best of luck,
                        Craig
                        Craig Richter

Comment

Craig I found these, 32mm. http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Weber-48-IDA-Venturi-32mm-Pair-p/48-ida-venturi-32mm-pair.htm Can't find 34mm but the 32mm should be equal to or better in my mind?

They also recommend switching to F11 emulsion tubes for smaller venturis but one thing at a time. Once I get my car back together & make sure it's running fine then I'll start on the carbs. I'm just trying to read up so I understand & I'm making notes.
                          Mic
                          1959A coupe

Comment

32's would be perfect. I didn't know if they were available. I wouldn't go with F11's , unless things show way too rich with the F7's, but this is all part of the trial and error. Post again when the motor is running, and I'll try to help as much as I can without actually being there.
                            CR
                            Craig Richter

Comment

Well things don't always go as planned. My "special" back ordered fan shroud paint finally showed today. I stopped work to shoot it as that's all I've been waiting on. To my dismay the can is labeled lacquer. Everything else is enamel including the special filter housing paint I got. Oh well I'll try it anyway. Did light coats & let it flash in between & it went o/k. Had one small spot where it lifted the primer because I went to heavy. Luckily it's behind the oil filter & I can just touch it up. Hung it up to dry.

Just checked on it now (about 6 hrs. later) & I don't like the finish. It's like a matte finish when dry, was very shiny when wet. I assumed it would be gloss but I was wrong. Also the color is very close to the oil filter canister, so close it looks like someone tried to match it but didn't get it right especially with the difference in glossiness. So sand it down & use the filter paint is what I'll do. Waited all these weeks for nothing. Oh well.

Edit -- I should have mentioned that the paint I got from Stoddard is most likely correct for a 59 super. I just did not like the look of it. Since I started this "clean-up" of my engine & engine bay I have read so much on colors, finish, etc. & there is always conflicting answers. No surprise here as Porsche just wanted to sell cars as cheap as possible & color/finish of engine tins was not something they worried to much about, in my opinion. Since I was painting it I wanted to make it "original" looking for a super of 1959. For the fan shroud I did not know what the correct color looked like so I ordered the "correct" paint & it turns out I don't like it. In the end I decided to use the same paint as the filter canister so they match. The two paints were almost an exact color match but one was glossy & one was matte finish. In my opinion it just didn't look right together especially since the filter gets bolted onto the fan shroud.
                              Mic
                              1959A coupe

Comment

For ? year/model engine? It sounds like it might be the right paint to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X