No announcement yet.

Engine tin & other related items on my engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another question. Being curious I couldn't wait for the new gasket to remove the "bell". The top bolt area is slightly dished, the bolt boss is even with the top so if I just set it on a table it won't push out. It looks like I would need to set the top on a pc. of pipe or socket to massage it flat. I would set the top outer diameter on a socket not the flange with the gasket. Being that it is a casting I am apprehensive about doing this. Should the boss be up above the outer top rim?

How much will it actually bend before cracking?

I will wait for the new gasket to see how it fits, maybe doesn't need any straightening.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0408041350.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	40272

Name:	0408041351.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	40273

Name:	0408041352.jpg
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	40274

Name:	0408041352a.jpg
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	40275
    Mic
    1959A coupe

Comment

Hey MIC,
      I kept looking for the old EMPI flyer that I got with my exhaust system in the mid 60s (or so) I guess it was, but couldn't find it.
      The Bursch system got put on 9/26/86 and has been fine ever since. It didnot get prettied up during the engine rebuild and replace.
      I should have done that so it would look as nice as yours.
      This pic is after the engine rebuild, showing the new Konis and the Bursch system.
      I guess they don't make the 'bullet' mufflers anymore.
      Dick

Name:	4-0918.EngInstalledNewKoniShocks.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	40284

Comment

Mic, that is collapsed quite a bit! Generally, I usually just set it upside down on an anvil and dolly it down with a large drift as far as it will go. One did crack once. Keep checking to see that it remains parallel to the base. You can file the threaded area down a bit for more crush.
        Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

Ditto what Jack said. I use a surface plate and an old plastic handle
          screwdriver to get it flat. Handle end on the cover, centered on the hole.

Dick,
          here's a link to Bursch for their current offerings.

http://burschexhaust.com/4cylinder.htm

Best,
          Joel

Comment

Mic, Dick,
            Could that be an old "Cannon" header? I have one on my car, this one looks like it. I love it too, good sound, no restriction.

Tom
            Atlanta
            Registry Number: Who Cares??

Comment

Thanks Joel,
              Bursch has modified its muffler over the years so I guess one can not get the old bullet styled one anymore.
              Dick

Comment

I also found this page with a header setup for 356:

http://burschexhaust.com/headers.htm

You'll note that they offer the extractors on the previous page listed, in 4 versions. Although they are still working on the site,
                based on previous iterations, I'd think the 'street' version is the
                old fixed bullet glass pack type. The sound is louder than the quiet'steel pack, and gets more so as the glass degrades. The 'combination' setup, I believe, allows the removal/replacement of the muffler and an optional boom pipe, offered in both muffler configurations.
                Joel

Comment

I was able to push out the top cap of the fuel pump. I used my hydraulic press & went a little at a time. Very over kill but controllable. I thought a hammer & drift would have more chance of cracking it.
                  Mic
                  1959A coupe

Comment

Hey MIC,
                    AND an 'after' Pic!
                    On my 'Old Pilot's Net' we have a guy who says, 'If there ain't a pic then it didn't happen'!

Good Going1
                    Dick

Comment

Hey MIC,
                      AND an 'after' Pic!
                      On my 'Old Pilot's Net' we have a guy who says, 'If there ain't a pic then it didn't happen'!

Good Going!
                      Dick

Comment

Mic, Dick,
                        Could that be an old "Cannon" header? I have one on my car, this one looks like it. I love it too, good sound, no restriction.

Tom
                        Atlanta

Mr.Miessen540:

If I'm not mistaken (and what are the chances of that), the nice header in Mr.Mic's photo is a Thunderbird, a piece that was built (I think) in the 70s.

The Bursch menu has changed quite a bit over the years (decades). The Trusty Coupe used to run a vintage "racing" model (with a 3" dia. joint to attach end pieces) that I ran with a Corvair turbo muffler with great satisfaction. Sadly, that header was damaged by movers some time ago and I have been running a fair copycat number with one of those Cherry Bomb-type glass-paks ever since. Like all such devices, the "muffler" is little more than a lined resonator and has gotten louder than I like, but it's low restriction and very light, two qualities that make the noise a fair trade.

It's not much of an issue in town as I spend most of my time trolling around at 2K, and on the hiway, my CD deck and later dual-cone speakers are more than a match for the racket (no heater mufflers either, so I can tell what the valves are doing... I like to think of them as the percussion section in the engine's song), allowing Derek and the Dominoes and Al Cooper, etc. (and doesn't that provide a clear date stamp) to come thru loud and clear.
                        ----------
                        Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo

Comment

Here is a pic of the top fuel pump cap after straightening. Now it has maybe just shy of 1/8" between the inside of the cap & the threaded boss for the hold down bolt. Plenty to snug up to eliminate leakage.

Name:	0412041348.jpg
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	40808
                          Mic
                          1959A coupe

Comment

Working...
                          X