SCCA 356 race event History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Craig and Justin!

I still have one of those cool pulleys made from stainless. Didn't rust and was dense enough to be as close in weight to a cast stock pulley as possible.

That ratio for the fan means it probably had some blades deleted or was an early 16 blade version, but the ~1:1 was a better match for a 7 or 8k rpm.

No juice from the generator (please note, no wires, yes, but hollow shell) just to support the bearings, shaft and fan but save rear-end weight. A working generator was not needed, per SCCA GCR when Solexes and discs were allowed in EP somewhere around '76, but I'd have to check...I can't remember that far back.

My last Speedster (pictured in street trim in my avatar at left) needed all that brought back almost to 'stock' to run in Vintage. No coil-overs, either. The car came to me with the headlight buckets turned into intakes to ducting that joined and passed through the cockpit and into the engine bay, right into the 'fan' housing. I had to close all that up after removing the roll cage.

I have never seen that point of entry for -10 oil hose, but it likely comes and goes from an external bigger cooler instead of a small upright in the shroud that was replaced by an oil full-flow outlet-inlet adapter on the top of the case, as Justin posted.

The vent hoses, a la 912, from the heads and/or rocker boxes go to the later oil fill which vents into a catch tank in the RR fender, I'm sure. The -6 is obviously fuel and branches from a regulator under the cowl. That is a sloppy set-up, but common for an old EP car in the late '70s.

Oh, that racer could easily make 10 laps+ at any track with the battery alone on 'total discharge' where only the coil needed juice. Usually, a really big heavy battery was up front for ballast of the car for handling and also to meet minimum total weight and charged between sessions.

Many rules were bent if not completely broken to 'win'...the bragging rights to how much money was spent to get none even for first place finishes!

Comment

The "really big heavy battery" reminds me of the parking lot autocross days. We used to throw a few bags of cement in the spare tire well...really made the front bite on little short low-speed "tracks". And like for drag racing, we just took the fan belt off! Fun memories.
      Craig Richter

Comment

Ah, drag racing:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dragster_2014-03-04.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	38015

Comment

Oh, it is gutted, Nice catch on that one then Neil! Bruce, I never would have guessed you could run a race just on the battery alone;learning everyday! What would you guys run; a deep cycle marine type battery? I've seen that headlight bucket ducting before, what a really great flow of cool air directly at the fan. Bruce, I am fascinated by race tech any chance we could get you to share more? Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	scporsche356143.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	41645

Comment

An old photo my father took at Riverside 1980

Name:	Porsche356005.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	42209
              Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	10168049_74016367602458.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	44601

Comment

Name:	scca79617558949o506_.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	48579

Comment

Name:	scca93567904.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	64913

Comment

http://s79.photobucket.com/user/jeetje_photos/slideshow/Porsche%20356%20SCCA%20racers?sort=3

Comment

Name:	capture80874.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	68793

Comment

Name:	insprt8738.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	70766

Comment

I sure hope this one survived, that's a T-6 Roadster,
                            Pushed around since 1966.

Comment

Name:	ystddd24917.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	83503

Comment

His face is in shadow, but I think the driver of Speedster 149e is Allen Johnson, sponsored by Roger Bursch's Scientific Automotive in Pasadena. Allen won many championships in Porsches over the years, and went on to be involved in several San Diego area Porsche dealerships. Very successful guy.
                                I'd love to tell you that's me bending in for a chat, but that guy's much better looking.
                                Craig Richter

Comment

Working...
                                X