Dad's old '66

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Justin,

Just spent some time reading the account of your dads two 911 cars. I got a bit confused first of all arriving so late on the thread. Going back a few pages made it easier.
    That was really interesting reading and your range of photographs so good. I really got an idea about the area you live in and the heat you probably have so much of the time. And in the same thoughts the lack of moisture ragarding rust. Its a sad story in way, but a sensible conclusion. It is good your dad is still around to know. Much more difficult in the future. We have been looking for my dads car a pre-war Austin eight tourer he restored to look as new in the early 60's. It ex army and saw service in Libya and was full of sand!

He too saw my brother sell it for something faster and understood.
    Sure we think its still around to buy back but that's a pipe dream and we know it having looked everywhere. And like you, if it was now a wreck we would not have the time to finish it. But... tell me Justin on one of the inputs to your 911 thread you wondered if you had the time and resources to finish your 356 cars. You are around the age of my eldest boy I reckon. Everything is okay isn't it? You have years all being well to make the perfect job as you always try to do.

Roy

Comment

Thank you Steve and Thank you Henk! I really appreciate your help with the hand writing and ownership history on that old record. I thought it was Judd too Steve but I was second guessing myself as it looked like the "d" might have a curl in it and was morphing into an "e" the more I stared but I think you're right. Henk thanks again for your help with that old street address and for trying to identify the original Purchaser. Grateful for the help!

Roy, thanks for sifting through this old story of mine. Everything is just fine and thanks for asking! I was exploring some finance options utilizing this car but recently few other things are in the works so I am doing all that I can to try and hold onto it just a little while longer. Yes, its very much like the description you give of your fathers old car. Bone dry and full of blow-sand = freeze dried.

8/14/17
      I do have some additional history in regards to the Kardex. My father was just here for a visit so of course I couldn't wait to show him the copy of this old record with his name on it. He thought it was really cool and as he looked it over he regretted not safeguarding the purchase contract from the dealer when he bought it. Maybe it'll turn up but for now its lost to time.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_48862.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	90626
      I showed him how his name was linked to this last service record entry on July 11, 1966. I asked him, was this for an oil change or what? He had to think back for moment then he said, "oh, this is when your Mother and I were almost killed in this car". Porsche had problems with the heat exchangers on some of these early 911 exhaust systems potentially allowing carbon-monoxide to get into the cabin; this car was one of them. It happened while they where on a road trip in Northern California. I don't know how close to death they actually where were but both remember being violently ill that evening at the hotel. Anyway the factory had a recall and the kardex notes that visit for the installation of new heat exchangers.

Thanks for looking!
      Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

Hey Justin, I am guessing you were not around in 1966 when they obviously had then problems with the heat exchangers. So maybe another 2 hours driving the 911 might have meant no you and no ABCGT

Makes you think eh !

Roy

Comment

Very true Roy, life certainly turns on a dime. If that had happened none of us would have been the wiser.

3/25/18

Name:	IMG_6850.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	98732
          At the moment his old car is now safely tucked away in the back of my shop; out of eliments and out from under that abandond old chicken coop. I rest alot easier now. Not sure what the future holds but for the time being I'm going to try and hang onto it. Some ideas of a sympathic restoration do come to mind which would include a new rubber seal kit, interior, flush the tank and the brake system (suspension bushings too). A motor rebuild for sure then just drive the thing again. My 57 coupe is still the priority so its all just passing thoughts for now but its at least safely mothballed back here.
          Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

The car is safe where you have it. It has patina and it will survive now and you will so pleased in the future its there to look at.

Well done finding the car a place!!!

Roy

Comment

Justin:

Great news! You know I have been telling you to keep the car, I'm glad that for now at least you have a spot for it. Time will tell, opportunities will present themselves, someday I predict you will be very glad you still have the old '66 around.

Steve
              Steve Clarke
              '65 C coupe
              '73 911

Comment

Thanks Roy, I do sleep better now that know its in a safe place.

Thank you Steve! Yeah, I don't what the future holds either but for now at least it can sit here for a spell.

Name:	IMG_6933.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	99185
                This paint job is officially 40 years old as of today (april 201 and out of curiosity I sanded and polished this area just to see how well this old finish would come back.

Name:	IMG_6934.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	99186
                It came back really nice with a deep rich shine and looked just liked I remembered it as a kid. I know it will oxidize right back so I'm think about maybe some sort of petroleum treatment to help preserve the shine? We'll see, anyway back to my real priorities.

Thanks again you guys!
                Justin
                Justin Rio

Comment

Justin, looks nice patina to me!!My last spray I did 29 years ago. Its got patina too. Or that's what I call it and am resigned to accepting that because I am not doing it all again.

Roy

Comment

Working...
                  X