Engine thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine thoughts

I have to start thinking about an engine for the car. It comes with a 1600 VW type 1 as standard but i can upgrade that or source my own. Im not really that au fait with engines and how well a 1600 may perform.

Any thoughts or suggestions. Is a 1600 enough to keep up with modern traffic on the freeway? Would a 2100+ be too over the top or maybe in between with an 1800.

Or a Porsche engine of some description. maybe a 912? or more modern.

All suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Consider a Subaru boxer 4 cyl. 2.2 or 2.5
    Moderation in all things - resistance is futile

Comment

Here's another option
      Click image for larger version

Name:	1htrb7053.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	85865

Comment

If you considderthat most 356 cars were in the 70-80hp range and a 1600 beetle engine should have about 60hp it is pretty close. Add twin carbs,slightly higher compression and 70 hp is within reach without breaking the bank
        armand

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions

Comment

Chris,

What Armand says is right to the point. Of course if you want more grunt then other options. I reckon a 1600cc well sorted, will keep your car up with the normal traffic just fine. My super engine with 75 hp has no trouble.

Remember a 356 engine or 912 is fine but if its well worn it will cost you a lot to rectify. Its the way you go, not always how fast it goes!

Roy

Comment

A good compromise would be a VW Type 1 at 1715CC.
              It will reliably put out about 90 to 100HP all day.
              Easy to build as well.
              Moderation in all things - resistance is futile

Comment

Thanks again all good suggestions. I like the sound of all of them!

Comment

My original dream powerplant was a punched out type-4 with a 911 fan shroud assembly.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	aaaatype4.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	86004
                  I spent many an hour in an old Fat Peformance cataloge dreaming about this engine. For me personally, I have no use for a Porsche push-rod motor. Thier more money and less HP when the dust settles; wouldnt bother me a bit if the crankcase reads VW so long as it kicks ass. Never really considered a type one though Greg Banfills motor has completely changed my view on that. Take a look here:http://www.abcgt.com/forum/6-Hot-Rod--Modified-356/28251-My-54-Coupe-that-we-call-Curb-Appeal.html?limit=6&start=102

There were some great videos of it here but youtube has been screwing around with thier format and have since disappeared.
                  Justin Rio

Comment

Thanks for that Justin. Looks cool!

Comment

Working...
                    X