Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Hi
      don't take this wrong. We may never really know what chassis won a race. and how much of that chassis survived. As for faked engines and reproduction components the overall result should be evaluated just like a work of art which very often has had major repairs and other cosmetic improvements(cleaning) it is the end result that is valued.
      j

Comment

• It needs a little bit life experience, tolerance and farsightedness to see it as you do - but you're so right...
        www.breuer.shop

Comment

• Guys,

Yep, it is difficult to get to the "truth" as to some of the cars. We're pleased that we have followed as best we can an approach involving original research. We're comfortable with the E-P conclusion re 024 and 025 which we have reached. Generally speaking, where we are uncertain, we have put the information in red. As we say in the book, that does not mean that material in black is always correct. We focus on what and to what extent it can be documented. We've fixed/revised some things as most know. I do know this---just because some authors and others insist on 21 Abarths (in this case I mean not an author but a person long involved who was told such). I cannot get him to believe that there were 20. There is also disagrement as to the "South African" E-P which I believe is now indisputable. It is also true that as these cars get more expensive, it becomes very difficult to revise current lore despite facts. This is why we urge careful review if one is buying or selling. I'm fairly certain that we now can detect motor fakes, even if the 9xxxx number is correct---it still may be a fake. We're proud of that. It's a start.

I do not think we are quite at the "art" level just yet except, perhaps, 550-01 and 550-07 where virtually none of the orignal car remains. Of course, others disagree but it's one guys opinion.

A small post script---a book was written some years ago asserting that there was only one Dreikantscaber and that Linge told the author so. There were two. I have photos of them under construction together, separate race details and both at the Race Car Classic for lung cancer research. I think the next wave of issues will revolve around whether a car was a "Carrera"/4-cam/etc. or not. That's not quite the "art" issue. Our research is comprehensive so we'll see.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Steve,
            At PRCC, the Porsche car and the Palmaz car. Note the differing shades of grey,
            the Porsche car being the lighter color. Happy Thanksgiving to all !
            Joel

Click image for larger version

Name:	DREIKANTS.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	70014

Comment

• Guys,

Sorry for not getting back to the 550-07, etc. issue for a few days--still, we have been working on this and reviewing old notes, etc. I had fogotten about some things mostly in light of not expecting such complicated matters associated with 05 and 07, etc.

Here are a couple of background items that I believe impact the onclusions:

1) It is important to note that 05 and 07 were essentailly the same according to factory notes we have seen. This is why, last week, I noted that all of the 07 races (as we have them identified) have a fixed rear.

2) Andrew. long ago, noted that it is odd that 07 would have a fixed rear since 06 does not---he wondered, as did I when he brought it up.

3)I think we are agreed that 06 was a show car from the beginning and only after the NY Autoshow (when it went to Von Neumann) did it get into racing. By the way---06 never went to Mexico so that Von Neumann's guys could go pick it up...but that is another story.

4) Finally I remembered that we reviewed the Weinsburg invoices/billings to Porsche perhaps two years ago. Not a complete set for sure but quite a bit. Anyway, Weinsburg did not number the cars as they are now but basically just used 1, 2, 3 etc. We only have prototype info and it is difficult to pull together. That said, Porsche wanted one car moved up (I referred to this in an earlier post without much explanation). I thought 08 was moved up production-wise to make sure it was available for the Mille Miglia. I am fairly certain that that was wrong----06 was, in my view, because of the need for the cars use at shows and to show off the hinged.

5) That means 05 was finished as we know with a fixed rear, then 06 with a hinged rear (for the early shows) then 07 (like 05 with the fixed rear).

6)I think we agree that 07 was essentially a test car at the out set. 01-05 were gone and 06 was at the various shows and 08 had not yet arrived.

7) We are then down to 07 for the tests. We'll go over this in detail in a few days but some seem fixed rear, some are not determnable and one seems to have hinged rear. Do please recall that some are without the buckle which was removed and that, in part, makes it more difficult.

At the moment we are nearly/almost/close to reaching the conclusion that the races thought by some to be 05 after 6-54 are, in fact, 07.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Thanks Steve, I appreciate you reviewing this. Do you know which buckelwagen this one is - it has a lift back..?

Name:	IMG_57copy.png
Views:	38
Size:	276.2 KB
ID:	70079
                Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

• I forget the guy's name. I can look up.

Anyway, I believe 550-09.

Steve

Comment

• It may(?) be Willi Detwiller behind the wheel.

Michael Doyle

Comment

• Yep!!

Many thanks, Michael!!

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

Steve Heinrichs has asked me to provide a concise list of the race results with completely unknown chassis numbers. This list includes 6 pages. The races are listed in date order.

If you have any information, photos, thoughts or rumors by all means please let us know.

Page 1

Name:	UnknownChassis_Page_1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	70480

Page 2

Name:	UnknownChassis_Page_2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	70481

Page 3

Name:	UnknownChassis_Page_3.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	70482

Page 4

Name:	UnknownChassis_Page_4.jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	70483

Page 5

Name:	UnknownChassis_Page_5.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	70484

Page 6

Name:	UnknownChassis_Page_6.jpg
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	70485

Comment

• Hi Vietta,

the resolution is too low on the jpgs - can you email it as a PDF to me?

thanks Andrew

Comment

• Just a couple off the top of my head regarding Sheppard.

As I have just completed the provenance of 550-0068 for RM Sotheby's for their Feb auction, I have sorted out the racing history of this car.

Sheppard bought 550-0068 off Marshall and raced it at Gainsville and also Chester. Forlong also raced it at Dunnellon.

At Cocoa, Sheppard raced his red/white 550A - I am still identifying this car which is a bit of a challenge.

In Kissimmee 1960, Sheppard was racing 550A-0144

hope this helps

Comment

• Hello Everyone,

Unless you have eagle eyes, the list is too difficult to read. Let's try this link to Steve Heinrichs Big Lake Media Website to this special page with a link to the information as a PDF document.

Unknown Chassis List.aspx

Best regards,

Vietta

Comment

• Any further research on this Steve?

Originally posted by Steve Heinrichs" post=31251
                                Guys,

Sorry for not getting back to the 550-07, etc. issue for a few days--still, we have been working on this and reviewing old notes, etc. I had fogotten about some things mostly in light of not expecting such complicated matters associated with 05 and 07, etc.

Here are a couple of background items that I believe impact the conclusions:

7) We are then down to 07 for the tests. We'll go over this in detail in a few days but some seem fixed rear, some are not determnable and one seems to have hinged rear. Do please recall that some are without the buckle which was removed and that, in part, makes it more difficult.

At the moment we are nearly/almost/close to reaching the conclusion that the races thought by some to be 05 after 6-54 are, in fact, 07.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Working...
                                X