Name:	IMG_4810.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	53600
    trevorcgates@gmail.com
    Engine # P66909... are you out there
    Fun 356 events in SoCal = http://356club.org/

Comment

• How'd you manage to get all those cool shots and not get my ugly mug in even one?

The 1/8-mile drags were bitchin'.

This was a great car weekend in SoCal! As will be next Saturday at Jack's...
      Craig Richter

Comment

• There are days when I really envy you guys out in California(sigh).

Comment

• Originally posted by DG58INNM" post=23818
          There are days when I really envy you guys out in California(sigh).
          Hey David:

Well, you could always come hang out at our "stylish beach house" here in Baja Oxnard. Actually, I think a mud slide will cut us off from Alta Oxnard for the next 3 to 4 weeks. If you know how to fix furnaces Mrs. Sampson would welcome your presence TODAY. She thinks, incorrectly of course, that we need heaters here. Sigh.
          Bill Sampson

BIRD LIVES!!!!!

HAYDUKE LIVES!!!!!

Comment

• WOW! Some great photos and some really sweet old cars! We have every reason to be jealous of these guys who live in So. Cal David.
            Thank you Bill and Trevor for posting up these great shots! Enjoyed them..
            Justin Rio

Comment

• Thanx great pix!

Click image for larger version

Name:	10407232_15htryu6.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	53654

Name:	10433264_htryu97_.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	53655

Name:	10488114_htryu04_.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	53656

Name:	10505610_htryu36_.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	53657

Name:	10553521_htryu49_.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	53658

Name:	10559940_1htryu017.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	53659

Comment

• Gassers - what's not to love?
                Bill Sampson

BIRD LIVES!!!!!

HAYDUKE LIVES!!!!!

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	10402538_htryu951_.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	53700

Name:	10492248_htryu75_.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	53701

Comment

• I'm in love with that '62 Corvette Gasser! Impractical for street but it still looks killer in that configuration.

"If you're going to drive like a Maniac you can let me out right here" should be right under that last shot.

Great photos again you guys!
                    Justin
                    Justin Rio

Comment

• Yep, badass! I'd like to see it launch, rear tires with wrinkles and I bet the front tires get air.
                      trevorcgates@gmail.com

Comment

• Justin,
                        I'll fight you for it! That is a beauty.

Bill,
                        Thanks for the invite. You shouldn't make rash offers. If I ever took you up on it, I might never leave. I can fix furnaces.

I suppose I shouldn't complain though. NM weather is pretty darned nice.

A question for you drag race guys. Why are the gassers always percehd up so high, and with that exaggerated nose up attitude?

Thanks,
                        DG

Comment

• I'm no drag racer (paging Craig, paging Craig), but the reason is to get the weight to rear where the traction is sooner. Same as the altered cars, where the rear axle is moved forward.
                          trevorcgates@gmail.com

Comment

• Thanks Trevor. Figured weight transfer must be part of it. But I look at it and think a slight nose down attitude would be most efficient, so that the launch rotates the chassis to near horizontal, but not much more.

A lot of these guys seem to be jacked up in the rear too. Is that just for tire clearance? You are not allowed to modify the bodywork? Keeping these beasts pointed in a straight line has to be a full time job, and raising them a few more inches above the asphalt wouldn't make it any easier. Hell, maybe these guys just get a kick out of steering like wild men!

Whatever the reason it must work, since virtually everyone does it. Just got me wondering. I've always liked the drag race and hot rod guys. They appear to have a whole bunch of fun. Unfortunately life is too short to do everything.

DG

Comment

• This is all too cool for words. My first car was a 56 Vette that was pretty worn and it cost me nothing but trouble, but, when it ran . . . . .

The progressive linkage on the two fours enabled the rear end to break loose, again, when I tramped it at freeway speeds - I LOVED to do that for passengers not expecting it. I didn't have a fun car after that one was totaled by a hit and run driver while parked for another 40+ years, but, I'd still love to have another Vette. I like 56 and 57s the best because I don't like dual headlights or chrome on them BUT I always loved the 62s. That gasser would be PERFECT for taking David on a PCH cruise when he visits. I'm guessing that car turns when you don't expect it and putting it on real turns while gazing at an imminent swim would really be fun. Of course, we'd have to wait another month since that part of the highway is buried in mud.

David if you come out and fix the furnace we'll let you help with installing indoor plumbing too.
                              Bill Sampson

BIRD LIVES!!!!!

HAYDUKE LIVES!!!!!

Comment

• Yeah David, that's what its all about; transferring more weight and leverage to the rear wheels to get it to hook-up quicker. Also a shorter driveshaft translates in reduced HP loss which why you see in a lot of those early photos the motor is shoved back into the mid-cowl area. My old mentor used to say that's where VW's, Porsches and motorcycles shined over the traditional American configuration; most of the weight is on the rear end for superior traction. His pride and joy was a '71 Olds 442 convertible with that huge 455 in it. He said that off the line it would be no contest with a 40HP VW for about the first several yards but once his car finally hooked up it of course would be all over. "once its balls were out in the wind" was the analogy he used.

I'll bet you miss your old Vette Bill, 56-57 was a great body style!
                                Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                                X