American Graffiti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Craig Richter" post=19675
    Late '50's, early '60's, best time to grow up in America EVER! I raced Big John once at Pomona, in my Dad's Corvette. Of course he kicked my butt, but what fun! Hey, where them rum balls?? Guess I'm going to have to wait until Christmas at Jack's...
    It was all fantasy for me. I didn't own a car until a little older.

Rum balls at Jack's for sure in December.

Where are you? If you're in Santa Barbara on August 16 I'm making some rum balls for Woodies at the Beach at city college. Most will be in the silent auction which raises some $ for local charities although the show is really just for fun. I'll have a few out as bait/wallet openers. I'll be the fat old guy with the microphone - WATCH OUT FOR THAT - there is nothing more dangerous than an open microphone.
    Bill Sampson

BIRD LIVES!!!!!

HAYDUKE LIVES!!!!!

Comment

• Trevor, thanks for posting all the Hiboy roadsters. You know they are my favorite. Not a Lowboy in the bunch (I know you LOVE those... so sorry for you!)
      Jack (analog man from the stone age)

Comment

• You're welcome Jack. For a lowboy to really look right IMHO it takes a lot of work. Pinch the frame rails up front, kick up the rear, raise the fender well and then re-do the floor & firewall.
        trevorcgates@gmail.com
        Engine # P66909... are you out there
        Fun 356 events in SoCal = http://356club.org/

Comment

• Great old stories you guys and of course a big thanks to Byron for all those great vintage hot rod photos! Trevor thanks for sharing those show pics. Those freshly minted roadster bodies are beautiful!
          Justin Rio

Comment

• If I didn't have Speedy, there would be a flat-head hi-boy in my garage. Like the purple one, or maybe the green chop-top, complete with rumble seat. I'd just drive slower...
            Craig Richter

Comment

• And as much as it would hurt, I'd consider parting with our coupe if a 34 Chevy 3 window showed up at my doorstep. Street rodded of course. On fuel ok too. :>) er, maybe not that. Applications reluctantly accepted from the normally aspirated.
              Bill Sampson

BIRD LIVES!!!!!

HAYDUKE LIVES!!!!!

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	10152427_80512077.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	44420

Click image for larger version

Name:	10247368_1015039206921994.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	44421

Name:	10250121_779931148698.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	44422

Comment

• WOW did that Purple Vicky launch! All four wheels off the ground; can't say I've seen that before. Great photo! Thank you, Justin
                  Justin Rio

Comment

• I don't know if in that one pic it's photo-shopped or not, but to learn more, Google: Purple People Eater Car and you can read all about it. Jack knows a guy that has a FED and has raced against him, the guy showed Jack and I a video of them racing. I found a video but not sure if this is the same one. I've seen the PPE car make one pass out at Barona dragstrip and at a few shows in SoCal. The proportions are so crazy - in a good way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIvRH2uFFZ4
                    trevorcgates@gmail.com
                    Engine # P66909... are you out there
                    Fun 356 events in SoCal = http://356club.org/

Comment

• Thanks Trevor! Good point, that probably is photo shopped, I didn't even think of that. I just watched the video after the one you posted. I don't know why but I love the vantage point of being on board next to this motor!

Really appeals to the gearhead in me; Couldn't get the smile off my face and especially loved it as he's trying to get it fire-over just before the run. Makes me want to build one!!!!!!! How about driving this one to school Bill! Thanks again for find that original video Trevor.
                      Justin
                      Justin Rio

Comment

• Wow! These are all outstanding. That PPE photo may be digitally altered, but watching the video and seeing it hop and shudder during a burnout, its not hard to imagine it coming clean off the ground. Guy'd have to have a seriously big pair to pilot that bomb!

An observation regarding all of the period photos. People look good! Trim, healthy, fit, neatly dressed. What a difference 50 years has made.

DG

Comment

• When I started drag racing, there were no concrete barriers between the cars, nor between the cars and the spectators. We had real flagmen for starting, no lights or buttons (although they did begin to develop more sophisticated starting systems shortly after).
                          We looked pretty sharp, eh. At least we started the day with clean white (sun dried) t-shirts. Even the "big boys" hadn't figured out uniforms yet. Sponsorship amounted to tuning help or a free cam. Those were good days...
                          Craig Richter

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	1797412_795635347127884_.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	44531

Name:	1911690_786006904757395_.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	44532

Name:	10261995_794917843866301_361084.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	44533

Name:	10300205_783145695043516_.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	44534

Comment

• Originally posted by DG58INNM" post=19727
                              An observation regarding all of the period photos. People look good! Trim, healthy, fit, neatly dressed. What a difference 50 years has made.

DG
                              A very Keen observation David, I could not agree more!
                              Justin Rio

Comment

• Ya gotta love the PINK MOTEL
                                Craig Richter

Comment

Working...
                                X