Knotched Beam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knotched Beam

I am ready to knotch my beam. Can anyone tell me how much I should grind out after I remove the nuts and bolts? I have seen others do it, but was wondering if there is a specific measurement of how far to grind back. Thanks
    Mark Erbesfield
    57 356A
    65 911
    68 912
    73 911S
    66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    79 450SL Dad's old car

Hi Mark,

I notched out enough clearance to allow the collar block to rest against the threaded bung. This is as far as you can go without modifying the adjusters.

Click image for larger version

Name:	54720331.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	1306
    The collar block opening will tell you exactly how far you need to go to allow it to bottom out. I suppose you can take a few MM's off of the shoulder of collar to go further but there will be interference with the jamb-nut at the bung. I'm finding it difficult enough to get the nut tight in this position. I'll have to make a special wrench to get in there to tighten it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	54720329.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	1307
    Here is the new maxed out notch. This really is as far as you can go without opening up a brand new can of worms. Greg Scallon did a similar proceedure but not sure as to how far he went on his. Hope this helps! Keep me posted! Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

This helps a lot. Thanks.
      Mark Erbesfield
      57 356A
      65 911
      68 912
      73 911S
      66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
      79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

Hey Mark,
        I suppose you may have see this over on the Registry site, but here's a link to a post I did awhile ago that documents what I did to increase the throw of my adjusters.

http://porsche356registry.org/356talk/topic.html?f=1&t=15122&p=109453&hilit=%3Cspan+class%3D

And here's the how-to on lowering the rear to go along with it.

http://porsche356registry.org/356talk/1/How-to-Lowering-the-Rear-End-24968.html?p=113320#p113320

Hopefully this will help you out. If you have any questions, just ask.

Regards,
        -Greg

Comment

Has anyone had success with adjustable spring plates? I've noticed a variety of aftermarket products designed for the vw lineage, but do not know of the teeth count are the same and compatibility with the 356 torsion bars. This would seem like the best solution.
          Is my pre A the Guinea pig?

Comment

Mr.Manolin:

The adjustables are probably easier to fudge, but I don't believe they are better to use. The originals are an engineered piece and the adjustables do not wholly replicate their action.

$.02 from the peanut gallery.
            ----------
            Keep 'em flying...

S.J.Szabo

Comment

Agree. The adjustable spring plates are meant for off-road use. They fit, and work, but are thicker than stock plates, which means they don't flex like stock plates, and will ride really hard. Softer torsion bars help, but my experience is you won't like them on the street.
              Craig
              Craig Richter

Comment

Working...
              X