1958 356A TURBO Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1958 356A TURBO Coupe

This is another little side project we have going for a really good friend. Starting with a relatively dry 1958 coupe shell that was hit hard in front at some point in its past;the final product will run a full 993 rear suspnsion and a complete 964 front suspension assembly with steering rack. The shell will incorporate a full tube chassis with roll-cage for this new suspension to work off of. Should handle like its on rails once its all done. Drivetrain plans are a magnesium 915 transmission to save weight and a Turbo-charged version of the Polo 4-cylinder 911 based engine. Yes, that is what I wrote "turbo charged". Dean Polopolus is developing this powerplant currently. That should really be something when the day comes to fire it up!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture055.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1184
    Here is the shell arriving at my buddy Warrens shop. I had prepped the shell by removing the rockers, longitudinals and most of the front clip. Its placed on that old cart I had my carrera stored on for the last 10 years.

Name:	Picture056.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1185
    "A meeting of the minds" initial measurments and plans of attack concering that new suspension going in.

Name:	356856.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	1186
    In the shop and ready to begin its transformation
    Justin Rio

While the stock pressed steel sheet metal frame is plenty for a stock application it would prove to be a very poor anchor point for all the cage and suspension changes we have planned. What is needed is a more solid tubular perimeter base frame for everything to work off of.

Name:	356863.jpg
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1196
    This rectangular stock was chosen to make for a solid base attachment point. It Had to be mitter cut in sections to get it shaped and matched up to the original chassis.

Name:	356858.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1197
    Perimeter of the original chassis now marked for cutting to make way for the new base sub-frame.

Name:	356859.jpg
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1198
    lower perimeter and floor unit cut free.

Name:	356861.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1199
    One more of the rear

Name:	356864.jpg
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1200
    Rough trial fitment of the new sub-frame. This rectangular stock was chosen so once its all in there the longitudinal closing panels and floor can be mounted right back in for a stock appearance. We can even use this new tube to pipe in hot air for the heater in the stock location if desired.

Name:	356865.jpg
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	1201
    Rear torsion bar mounts and other site markers are used to center and level the new frame.

Name:	356866.jpg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1202
    Tons of fine trimming to come to get it all to seat correctly.
    Thanks for looking at this. Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	58coupe2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1208
      With the new perimter sub-frame tacked into final position Modifications were made to the seatpan and quarter closing panels to make way for that 993 rear suspension unit going in. Very rough trial fitments here.

Name:	357.JPG
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1209
      The owner of this car had already narrowed and welded back together this 993 unit to get the wheel track more in line with a 356 body. Now with it mocked up an unforseen problem has become appearant. The mounting horns, now closer together are deep into the engine compartment and encroaching into the eventual engine position. Warren was double checking the width here. The motor would not clear.

Name:	358.JPG
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1210
      These will have to be cut-off and new mount points will have to be fabricated.

Name:	58coupe.jpg
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1211
      The remaining front portion of the chassis was removed which allow this initial mock-up of the new 964 front suspension unit going in. Lots to do! Thanks for looking at this! Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

With the sub-frame in final tacked in position we began locating the rear suspension for proper wheel base and desired ride height.

Name:	404.JPG
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1329
        mocking up both the front and rear wheel base.

Name:	405.JPG
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1330
        Now mocking up the desired ride height to establish the 993 carrier frames mount position up in the chassis so that the control arms are in the center or neutral position with the desired ground clearance.

Name:	402.JPG
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1331
        Fenders had to be cut now to allow room for the tires. rear was to be widened anyway.

Name:	403.JPG
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1332
        Hey, The legend himself! Dean Polopolus was nice enough to come down and give us a hand and some feedback on the design.

Name:	401.JPG
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1333
        He also brought with him a 915 trans case and a polo mock-up motor to help with this build! Thanks again for all the support Dean!! Suspension mount points and cage are coming up next. Thanks for reading this! Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

I really hope this car is progressing !!! Any updates ??
          1959 Karmann Ghia Outlaw ??????

Comment

Hey Bobby, the car is at my buddies shop which is 2 hours away. I'm way over due for a visit but I'll get down there hopefully before the month is out. I should have something new by then. Thanks alot for the interest in this! Justin
            Justin Rio

Comment

Was able to make it out to my buddies shop on Saturday and got these new progress shots.

Name:	d582.JPG
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	4561
              As mentioned on page one once the alloy frame was narrowed the original rear mounting horns encroached into the eventual motor area. These were cut off as short as possible right at the control arm rear pivot point. The new frame section with reconfigured rear mounts are mocked up here.

Name:	D581.JPG
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	4562
              These new alloy tabs will be welded to the sub-frame completing a urathane insulated double shear mount.

Name:	d5813.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	4563

Inside shot of the new frame runners. out-rigger mounts pictured lower left corner have been fabricated and will work with the stock Porsche sub-frame mounts.

Name:	d586.JPG
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	4564
              Basic roll cage has been fabricated. Care was taken to make the tighest fit possible while still allowing the installation of the stock headliner.

Name:	d585.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	4565
              Lower base frame is now all welded up. These gusset plates have been welded over the top of the joint to help spread the load that may go through it.
              Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	d5810.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	4606
                The owner wants the motor to hang off the trans like it did originally so the cage stops here. Mounts and cross bar for the trans hoop will be up shortly.

Name:	d5812.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	4607
                Initial Template for the strut mount. Once complete it will join and box this corner.

Name:	d5815.JPG
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	4608
                Sacraficing lots of strength with that kick bend in the door bar. This car is being built for both its owner and his wife to enjoy. One of his specifications was relalative ease of exit and entry so concessions had to be made.

Name:	d5814.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	4609

Name:	d588.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	4610
                Basic structure in but lots of cross bracing and triangulation yet to do.

Name:	d589.JPG
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	4611

Name:	d587.JPG
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	4612
                This is where it was at on Saturday. Should have an update in the next few weeks. Thanks for stopping by! Justin
                Justin Rio

Comment

Glad to see some updates.

Comment

12/23/12

She's a Roller! The car is on the ground and on its wheels for the first time. Lots triangulation bars still to come but the new suspension is now set.
                    Here are the latest shots Warren sent me:

Name:	d.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	8263
                    Lots of potential! You'll notice that the front of the cage from previous shots has been removed. The owners wife was opposed to the front bars so he asked us if we could remove them. I told him "its your car". Other arrangements for tying to the front will have to be made.

Name:	d1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	8264
                    Front fender just clamped on for a quick look.

Name:	d2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	8265
                    The wheel offsets are obviously not correct but you get the idea.

Name:	d3.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	8266
                    Struts lean forward just like they do on a stock 964. This part was the trickiest because it flies in the face of normal caster settings but this is how Porsche designed these to run.

Name:	d4.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	8267
                    Another sticking point was keeping the struts/mounts under the skin of the car. As it sits there is only one inch of upward travel. Some custom "short" struts will have to purchased or fabricated.

Name:	d5.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	8268

Name:	d8.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	8269
                    Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	d6.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	8271
                      rear strut mounts also complete.

Name:	d9.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	8272
                      Should handle a little better than it did stock.

Name:	d10.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	8273

Name:	d11.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	8274
                      Long ways from home but its taking shape. Thanks for stopping by! Justin
                      Justin Rio

Comment

Wow, you guys are brave This work is so involved. So nice to see good fabrication and welding. Really nice. To get that all to fit and to believe in yourself the engine and transmission will all slot in well, thats something else. And the front suspension its beyond me guys how you are doing all that.

Really nice thread, I reckon it will look fabulous when finished let alone actually driving it. Look forward to more instalments

Roy

Comment

Thanks Roy! Yes, the front suspension set up threw us for a while. Actually Warren is just finishing up the motor and trans mounts and after that the car comes back to me to begin putting floors back in it and closing up and incorporating the new chassis. This means I'll be posting alot more on its progress in the coming weeks. Thanks again! Justin
                          Justin Rio

Comment

Comment

Hey Justin any updates on this baby?? The chassis rails are really close to what I have on mind for my rusty POS.
                              60 Coupe Outlaw Project

Comment

Working...
                              X