1958 356A TURBO Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4/15/15

At long last I was able to free up some space in my shop to get this car out of that corner and out into the open so I can work on it again.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Achassis3451.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	59827
    First thing was to finish removing the quarter panels to free up some working space and to allow me to roll the car on its side without damage to them. Melted the lead off and ready to drill out the spot-welds along the striker.

Name:	Achassis3459.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	59828
    Both panels now removed. I know I'm strange but there's a small part of me that's digging it with the wheels out in the open.

Name:	Achassis3460.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	59829
    Will continue with the inner perimeter sections I was working on earlier. Also have to add a short tube strut to support that kick the in the door bar. working on that next. Thanks for looking! Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Justin you're one busy guy! Good for you!

Comment

incredible project. Thank you for sharing)
        I myself have long thought about such a project with Polomotor
        I will watch with great interest.
        https://www.instagram.com/nur964/
        Only air

Comment

Thanks Don! I'm trying to finish up what I have to on this car so Dean can take it and set up the controls, cooling system, drivetrain etc.

Thank you Art!
          5/2/15

Name:	Achassis3575.JPG
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	60425
          The time I can spend on this project is limited so all I've done since is to triangulate the kick in the door bar on the left side. It took me a few days to decide how I wanted to do it so it would look cool yet still be technically correct. My old mentor Greg and my buddy Warren are both off-road race car builders so what I've learned about cages I picked up from them. The basics are to always try and create triangles in the cage work (as the triangle is the strongest geometric shape) with all the joints intersecting with one another as much as possible. The rule Greg taught me was that once a bar is bent, it keeps on bending so you have to support and triangulate that weakness. This is what I'm doing here with the door bar. Repeating on the right side next. Thanks for looking! Justin
          Justin Rio

Comment

Originally posted by JTR70" post=26722
            4/15/15

Both panels now removed. I know I'm strange but there's a small part of me that's digging it with the wheels out in the open.
            Very, throwing mud into the stands, circle track racer-ish. I like it too! Reminds me of Gary Emory's Desperado from way back with the wheels totally exposed.
            Attached Files
            trevorcgates@gmail.com
            Engine # P66909... are you out there
            Fun 356 events in SoCal = http://356club.org/

Comment

Name:	deans58087.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	62845
              Finally got the chassis and body stabilized to the point where it was safe to roll it up on its side to begin addressing the longitudinals and the floor. I built a little sub-frame on the right side to rest on then unbolted all the suspension and rolled it over.

Name:	deans58091.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	62846
              Mocking up the new floor here to see how much of a shortfall there is between the frame and the panel. It all actually fits up pretty nicely.

Name:	deans58090.JPG
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	62847
              Yes, they sent us a B/C rear floor section but I figured as heavily modified as this car is, is that really going to matter.

Name:	Achassis3884.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	62848
              Longest running debate was how I was going to mount the flange for the floor pan to attach to. The way above has a smoother appearance from the top but I hated the idea of double walling the bottom of the frame.

Name:	Achassis3885.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	62849
              I eventually settled on attaching the short side to the base of the tube. Since the toe-board and rear flange will have to mounted this way I thought it best to make it consistent throughout.

Name:	Achassis3881.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	62850
              Began making the new toe-board mount flange first. I wanted it to include the small corner section turn. My sections aren't long enough to do this in one shot so it'll have to be made a side at a time.

Name:	Achassis3883.JPG
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	62851
              As mentioned above the short-side flange will attach to the tube wall from the inside.

Name:	Achassis3886.JPG
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	62852
              New flange section now cut to basic shape. about an inch is all that's required as it makes its way down the sides so this piece tapers down in preparation for that.

Name:	Achassis3888.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	62853
              I put a small step flange in it where the edge of the floor will eventually attach. I'm trying to mimic what was there originally while at the same time building the required part for this specific application. Onto the other half next. Thanks for looking! Justin
              Justin Rio

Comment

Fantastic job! Looking forward to following your progress.
                Thanks!
                Moderation in all things - resistance is futile

Comment

Justin,
                  I do like your details.....nice reinforcements on a bend.
                  You have a really neat "playroom" filled with alot of cool stuff
                  To bad you are so far away so I cant stalk you
                  /Per

Name:	image_2015-06-25.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	62881
                  JOP

Comment

Ditto! Really nice work.
                    Moderation in all things - resistance is futile

Comment

Thank you very much Molleur and Welcome to our little forum!

Thanks a lot Per but I can't take credit there. That is work of my buddy Warren who built this subframe along with mounting the suspension. While he can build anything his known for Off-Road racing car chassis's. His stuff normally runs 80MPH across the desert while the suspension falls into 3 foot ruts so most of his work leans toward heavy abuse. He explained that those Diamond gussets are there to spread the load across each of those joints. As you can tell by those pretty welds of his, he is certified welder by trade.

Name:	deans58026.JPG
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	62891
                      This is pre-runner Bronco he did about 10 years ago. I remember it being in his shop as he built the control arms and the cage. The wheel base was lengthened so the truck would handle better and they could get another foot of travel out of the rear suspension. Both Warren and my late mentor taught me just about everything I know about cage work etc.; which still isn't much but its been a good foundation.

My thanks again to both you guys! Just feeling my way in the dark as best as I can.

Toe-board mount flange complete and mounted.

Name:	deans58094.JPG
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	62892
                      Finished up the other half and got it all stitched up this afternoon.

Name:	deans58099.JPG
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	62894
                      It still fit after welding and is now clamped in place so tack welding could begin.

Name:	deans58096.JPG
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	62893
                      All tacked into final position. Welding it completely up will be done later just in case I have to change anything.

Name:	deans58098.JPG
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	62895
                      With that tacked in I began working my way down the side. I should have these flanges all tacked in by tomorrow.
                      Thanks for stopping by!
                      Justin
                      Justin Rio

Comment

Justin,

Just how do you manage to do all this? Said it before so many times but I mean it how? Have you ever kept a record of numbers of photos you have taken on all your projects? Just to sit down upload them all with comments takes time, I don't know how you do it

This project will be something else when finished. Nice thread as usual.

Roy

Comment

Hey Roy, Thanks!
                          Truth be told I don't actually manage all this well. I am way behind on this car and Dean has been graciously waiting as its languished in the corner for over a year since I brought it back from Warren's shop. I've just decided its been long enough and I have to now make an effort in earnest to get the floor in and the longitudinals closed so Dean can take it home and outfit it with everything to make it a running and driving shell. The time spent loading photos and text is just part of the commitment I made to keep this site fresh and alive. Thank you again for all the nice words and support through these projects Sir!
                          Justin
                          2/26/15
                          Forward flanges tacked in and initial fitment of the forward floor pan section.

Name:	deans58102.JPG
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	62925
                          Most of the floor pan flange now tacked in with on the rear cross member left to add.

Name:	deans58101.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	62926
                          This pan will now have to be several inches shorter than it would have been originally.

Name:	deans58104.JPG
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	62927
                          Still some fine trimming along its edges but its basically in.

Name:	deans58106.JPG
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	62928
                          The new shorter foot well area really is reminiscent of kit car foot well areas I've seen photos of. Cannot be helped, this is what the new frame dictates.

Name:	deans58107.JPG
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	62929
                          Slid the rear pan in just to see. All the corners are lining up pretty well. Will be adding the rest of the mount flange in next.

Name:	deans58109.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	62930
                          A new floor sure changes the outlook of things.
                          Thanks for looking! Justin
                          Justin Rio

Comment

Perimeter flanges for floor installation complete with pans in final adjusted position.

Name:	deans58111.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	62953
                            rear cross-member flange complete and rear pan fitment beginning.

Name:	deans58110.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	62954
                            Flange will have to be relieved at this embossment to get it all to fit snug.

Name:	deans58117.JPG
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	62955
                            Front and rear have been trimmed and located in their best adjusted position both with each other and the chassis. Rear flange has been relieved for a closer fit. I'll catch the rest on the final install.

Name:	deans58118.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	62956
                            Of course some fine trimming for clearance still remains.

Name:	deans58119.JPG
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	62957
                            Front flange and embossments also still need help.

Name:	deans58120.JPG
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	62958
                            But before today was over I had an installed new floor. Wrapping up those small detail tomorrow and will begin getting the left longitudinal ready for closing.
                            Thanks for looking!
                            Justin
                            Justin Rio

Comment

6/29/15
                              Left longitudinal prep.

The floor is now fitted and ready to on for good but I need to get the longitudinals built first.

Name:	deans58124.JPG
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	63073
                              Of course I have a ton of this to do before this panel can go on.

Name:	deans58129.JPG
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	63074
                              As you can tell once its all closed the belly of this this car will still look almost stock.

Name:	deans58130.JPG
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	63075
                              This closing panel will conceal the new subframe within.

Name:	deans58135.JPG
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	63076
                              Began prepping for the new panel like I've done many times before by grinding away what's left of the original mount flanges.

Name:	deans58134.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	63077
                              Once I rolled this car over I realized I had more work than anticipated. This forward door well pan is both rusted out, crashed and crudely patch repaired at some point. This car was hit hard in the front two times from what I could gather.

Name:	deans58137.JPG
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	63078
                              Much easier to zip it off and start fresh then to try and fiddle with it.

Name:	deans58145.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	63079
                              My paper templates from the coupster project will come in handy once again.

Name:	deans58146.JPG
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	63080
                              Ready to trace a new one in steel next.

Name:	deans58140.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	63081
                              Test fitting the new panel without that tray made things a lot easier.

Name:	deans58126.JPG
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	63082
                              As fitting progressed I remembered a modification we decided on way back when. We had Warren set the bottom of the new subframe up a half inch higher than it would have been stock. As you can see the new panel hangs way too with the upper threshold flange clamped into position.

Name:	deans58024.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	63083
                              We were trying to buy the pans a bit more clearance since the plan was to get this car down low; way lower than a stock 356.

Name:	deans58122.JPG
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	63084
                              Subtracting the actual lip of the flange you can see its a solid 1/2 inch higher than the original frame it was.

Name:	deans58141.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	63085
                              With this section of 1/2 square stock clamped in as a spacer it makes it all line up real nice.

Name:	deans58142.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	63086
                              That's the fit I'm after; have to take a 1/2 inch out of that new panel.

Name:	deans58143.JPG
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	63087
                              Both of these upper flange sections will be pounded out flat and rebent the width of this tubing section.
                              Thanks for looking! Justin
                              Justin Rio

Comment

6/30/15
                                Left long. prep continues

Name:	deans58159.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	63115
                                New door well tray cut and folded to basic shape.

Name:	deans58153.JPG
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	63116
                                A quick test fit before I added in the outer flange bend.

Name:	Achassis761.JPG
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	63117
                                Eventually I will be capping the front of this longitudinal as I did on this coupster project.

Name:	deans58160.JPG
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	63118
                                Because of the way these cars are layer-built I had to cut deeper into the old splash panel to make way for this cap. PIA!

Name:	deans58148.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	63119
                                New bend lines a half inch lower to compensate for the chassis modification I mentioned in the last entry.

Name:	deans58149.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	63120
                                Flanges reset and in for a trail fitment. To my relief it now seats and fits fine.

Name:	deans58157.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	63121
                                A long way to go yet with several items still on my check list but with each session I'm a little closer to closing this cavity up.
                                Thanks for looking!
                                Justin
                                Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                                X