No announcement yet.

356/912 engine into 4-cam Carrera look

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carrera 547 throttle return springs, working with Joris and Gerry Mc I have produced a small batch of 10 correct throttle return springs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image009.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	62491
    The Original spring, this one on a 56 coupe has 32 turns can be see in the photo above.

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	62492

The new springs have turned out very nicely, I have 6 available.

Comment

Hello Roy
      Very good to hear from you and thank you for the kind comments. Everything I have designed for my Faux Cam conversion is bolt on and thus reversible, to take account of the costs of 356 engines these days and the desire maybe in the future to return the engine to stock. So may be, just maybe you could, convert one day.

Something you may not have seen before on my car ? Before the rear engine lid lift and view desire came the front lid need to see and this was the result.

Name:	IMG_5244.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	62494

Far far too many hours were spent fabricating and getting this right. But however not as many as I have spent on the engine.

Kindest
      Nigel

Comment

Guys,
        Trevor and I don't mean to be disrespectful of your considerable efforts. On the contrary, we are highly entertained looking at the parts, their construction, and the finished product. Of course this hobby is all about having fun, and thank goodness for our different ideas on having fun!
        Craig Richter

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Cousins" post=27957
          Hello
          Justin invited me to join this forum to share what I am working on.

The engine is 1720cc with twin plugs, fuel injection and electronic ignition, with 10:1 compression ratio.
          I will post in time photo's of all the parts, I have made and am in the process of making.

Why people ask ? I always wanted to lift the engine lid on may car and see that fan shroud and generator stand and our hobbies are for fun after all.

If you have any questions please ask
          Nigel, thanks for taking me up on the invitation and Welcome! First time I've seen your engine with the shroud completed; it looks beautifully executed! Is there an oil tank in that left fender well or is that just a representative filler neck? The GT gas tank looks tight too! Great stuff! Welcome once again! Justin

Thanks Craig, I didn't take it that way at all. I get asked "WHY" about things all the time.

Speaking of why:

Name:	carrera2240.JPG
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	62548
          Here's a quick mock-up I did on my polo case this afternoon.
          Thanks Roy!
          Justin Rio

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Cousins" post=27965
            Hi Neil
            Thank you for your question, As they say "it always takes longer and costs more", I have not got to the stage of running the engine yet on a Dyno. I am looking for 100 HP with good low down torque, This is the reason why I put the injectors at the base of the inlet tract to improve low end responsiveness,which is where most of the driving is done. I have the option to put another set of injectors in the throttle bodies to maximise mid range. and also for full race, a third in the inlet trumpets for the high rev range. But I don't think I will be going there at this stage.

This is how it would look with a second set of injectors and fuel rail,

The twin plugs allow me to bring up the compression ratio without fear of detonation and the race spec ECU will give me good control using a 3D map over the ignition curves to each set of plugs. The engine also has a new counter weight crank and H beam rods.
            A stupid question but why do the injectors need to move higher as the rpm increases? I sure I'm missing something but why does it matter where the air and fuel get mixed before they go into the heads?
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Neil
              Not a stupid question at all, It's all about maximising the atomisation and mixture of fuel and air in respect to the rpm. By putting the injectors low down near the valves (which you see in many road cars) there is no delay in the fuel/air mixture reaching the chamber, hence good throttle responsiveness from low revs, but there's always a trade off, because the opportunity to atomise the fuel and air is reduced, thus not maximising the Bang! The higher you go up the port the better this mixing becomes.( this is why inlet ports are not highly polished anymore as you want to create a controlled turbulence to mix things up). Using multi-point injection also allows you to use different injector fuel feed rates at different points in the rev range thus getting the maximum Bang and mixture control across the board. This is not for the faint hearted and takes hours and hours of careful ecu map programming, but it does release the horses.

Comment

In response to justin's question regarding the oil filler/oil tank. It's is an oil filler with internal breather baffels. One hurdle to get over with mounting the generator stand on the third piece, was how to get oil into the engine and how to manage the crankcase breathing.
                I will go into detail on the 547 style breather in the future. To get a means of getting oil into the engine and get the right engine bay look, I designed and manufactured a filler inlet /breather that goes inplace of the stock fuel pump and a filler neck that looks like the dry sump oil tank.

Name:	IMG_6534.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	62981

and in position

Name:	IMG_6535.JPG
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	62982

I also plugged the fuel pump drive rod hole that runs through an internal in the third piece witha a removalble plug to cut oil transfer up the oil filler pipe.

Comment

Following on attached are a couple of images of the inner wing oil filler /breather

Name:	IMG_7176.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	62984

Name:	IMG_7177.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	62985

Both these images are of the baffled filler before it was clear zince plated, the oil cap is a standard 356 OEL cap and the Blau neck fitting is from a 60's beetle petrol tank.

Comment

This week I had the pleasure of meeting up with Bill Sargent who is in the UK on business.
                    It was the first time Bill has seen my engine in the flesh, so in preparation I wanted to get a few details spot on.

1st Fit the M8 black finish studs and the 6042 Aluminium 547 Carrera style wire lock nuts to the manifolds and Cam covers.

Name:	IMG_3215.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	62987

2nd Re-shape the aluminium Carrera fan shroud, my first shroud design kicked out at the sides to allow for the wider placement of the stock 356 manifolds. The new Cam-box manifolds bring the carburettor spacing inwards into the correct 4 cam dimension, thus allowing the correct shroud shape to be introduced, which I think looks much better.

Name:	IMG_3221.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	62988

It was wonderful to have some time with Bill and talk through his current 90 degree Vee drive twin distributor project.

Comment

Re: Carrera 547 throttle return springs

Hello Nigel - please reply to my inquiry by email to me at:

md4mdoyle@sbcglobal.net

Thank you.

Michael Doyle

Comment

I like the look of this set up. I'd be tempted to swap my '54 back to a 356/912 engine if I could have the 4 cam look.

Does Nigel sell a "complete kit" to do the whole deal?

Comment

Greg, you'd be willing to lose the power and performance of that killer Type 1 for a much milder 912/356 4-cam looker?

Name:	aaaaaaproject4cam2a.jpg
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	63113
                          Here's a photo I ran across of a guy retro-fitting one onto his type 1 motor. Another option for you; it can be done. You could have intake adapter plates made to run Nigel's Faux-cam intakes on those type one heads on your current motor. Food for thought.

BTW: can you repost that You-tube onboard video of you blasting up that industrial park road by your house the day you were "figuring out the clutch"? There is some sound on there that is just badass! Thanks!
                          Justin
                          Justin Rio

Comment

The "monster" VW power has already been removed from the car. Mostly so I could handles a trans issue, but also so I could switch to something different, and I think this 4 cam deal is the way to go.

Car is currently minus engine and trans.

Name:	20140820_073956.jpg
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	63134

Name:	9_06_09_14_9_11_29.jpeg
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	63135

Where would you like me to upload that video?

Comment

I'm sad to see those photos. BUT, I'm sure whatever you've got planned in its stead will be just as cool!

Thanks! Please post it here and in the hotrod thread. Also think about a dedicated thread about this car and your history with it if you have time. Justin
                              Justin Rio

Comment

Here you go. about 1:30 in on part 4 is where it gets real interesting...
                                I posted it in my intro as well. I ouldn't find a thread about the car. I thought I had one here, I guess not...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndkm09PJkJQ

Comment

Working...
                                X