Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	62320
    Very realistic cam housing now used for EFI
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3014.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	62321
    EFI is of course optional if you choose to run carbs.

Name:	IMG_3015.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	62322
    Just an impressive casting all the way around. What an undertaking; a labor of love!

Name:	untitled3.png
Views:	74
Size:	567.3 KB
ID:	62323
    Here's a shot on his engine. Bill mentioned that he was also casting his own 4-cam style generator stands specifically for a 356/912 application. Here's proof; this one mounts directly to the 3rd piece utilizing the Stock generator mounts. Pretty slick!
    Justin Rio

Early 547 style 30 degree V-drive decoy stands for late model crank-fired ignition.

Name:	untitled1.png
Views:	39
Size:	510.5 KB
ID:	62325

Name:	IMG_3006_2015-06-12.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	62326

Name:	untitled_2015-06-12.png
Views:	45
Size:	580.9 KB
ID:	62327

Name:	untitled2.png
Views:	49
Size:	539.8 KB
ID:	62328
    This guy offers some amazing products for dressing your 356/912 up like a Carrera.
    Justin Rio

Comment

I like this!

Comment

I love looking at these beautiful parts; but I guess, at the end of the day, I just don't understand...
        Craig Richter

Comment

When building a replica, that is what it is! - why fit a real Type 547 engine. Is there pricing on these parts?
          Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

Andrew, The V-drive mount was 1,067 pounds Sterling so at the current conversion rate it was 1,674.74USD to me. Of course not cheap but once you consider the time and engineering involved in casting custom one-off and limited run pieces like these I think he is entitled to something for his efforts. Nigel's going to join us here shortly and will I'm sure be happy to answer any other questions you might have about his offerings. Justin
            Justin Rio

Comment

The price of an authentic replica! It seems very reasonable - is it just a bolt on or does the current configuration need tweeking?
              Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

From what I understand this is a direct bolt-on affair for a 356/912. My application of course will require some retrofitting.

Here's Nigel's website: http://www.hamblyindustries.co.uk/
                Justin Rio

Comment

Justin,

If Nigel joins ABC then he will confirm his speedster rep article I show below. It was his car at Goodwood that I put the photos on the polo thread.

His article was several pages long describing all the changes he made to accept the Martin and Walker body.

I seem to remember he actually used a full 356B front bulkhead as he advised me how he got round the normal differences on standard reps to actual 356 cars. It amazed me. So the work involved in those lovely casting seems to me right up his street. Unless of course there is another clever guy with the same name over here

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	62439

Roy

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Richter" post=27924
                    I love looking at these beautiful parts; but I guess, at the end of the day, I just don't understand...
                    I'm in the same boat as Craig - surprise surprise! I do fully understand the appeal of the Polo motor, improved reliability with the extra bearingS, plural as Jack corrected me on last week. And I "get" the appeal of extra horsepower in a small package. But "fakin' da funk" I don't quite get here with these 4Cam look alike parts. So it looks similar to a 4Cam but the engine doesn't have the extra horsepower... but maybe it does have the relability of of a pushrod over a 4Cam. I don't know, just thinking out loud here, not trying to rain on anyone's parade or efforts.
                    trevorcgates@gmail.com
                    Engine # P66909... are you out there
                    Fun 356 events in SoCal = http://356club.org/

Comment

Thanks Roy! Has to be the same guy...

I hear you guys Trevor but to each his own. I'm basically of the opinion as well that if it doesn't make it faster or handle better what's the point? But Spyders and 4-cams/cars are so out of reach now that something has to come along and fill the demand for us regular guys to get as close to the real thing as we can afford. Hell, one could make the same argument about the coupster I'm building. My buddy here in town has the same opinion about the Polomotor; he thinks its cool and all but Why??? He feels its not worth the cost with all the other factory motor options out there both VW and Porsche but I beg to differ. Again everyone has their own idea about what makes sense.

Speaking of which I just received my coil stand this evening.

Name:	carrera2231.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	62459
                      I can't tell you how impressed I am with the level of thought and detail that has gone into this piece.

Name:	carrera2233.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	62461
                      If you had the proper guts made I believe this could be converted into a fully functioning twin-distributor drive.

Name:	carrera2234.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	62460
                      Reluctor ring for the crank fire ignition and base plates for the Ford HEI coils. Actually I could have anything made to refit any coil I decide on. Lots of options here. Anyway a really nice piece!

Name:	carrera2232.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	62462
                      Oil lines are fully tapped and he's even gone to the trouble of really nice safety wire hardware. Its cool and it will be a part of a function electronic ignition system. I will run it with pride!
                      Justin Rio

Comment

Hello
                        Justin invited me to join this forum to share what I am working on.

The engine is 1720cc with twin plugs, fuel injection and electronic ignition, with 10:1 compression ratio.
                        I will post in time photo's of all the parts, I have made and am in the process of making.

Name:	IMG_8650.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	62472

Name:	IMG_8653.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	62473

Why people ask ? I always wanted to lift the engine lid on may car and see that fan shroud and generator stand and our hobbies are for fun after all.

If you have any questions please ask

Comment

Thanks for joining. Love your work.

What does the torque/hp curve look like on your engine?

Comment

Hi Neil
                            Thank you for your question, As they say "it always takes longer and costs more", I have not got to the stage of running the engine yet on a Dyno. I am looking for 100 HP with good low down torque, This is the reason why I put the injectors at the base of the inlet tract to improve low end responsiveness,which is where most of the driving is done. I have the option to put another set of injectors in the throttle bodies to maximise mid range. and also for full race, a third in the inlet trumpets for the high rev range. But I don't think I will be going there at this stage.

This is how it would look with a second set of injectors and fuel rail,

Name:	photo2.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	62486

The twin plugs allow me to bring up the compression ratio without fear of detonation and the race spec ECU will give me good control using a 3D map over the ignition curves to each set of plugs. The engine also has a new counter weight crank and H beam rods.

Comment

Justin that coil stand looks great. no wonder you are pleased with it. Again a lovely bit of engineering no doubt helped by CNC machining.

Nigel looking at the engine photo's you posted above it is 849 UXC I believe? When I saw your car 7 years ago it had a VW fan shroud? but what a difference now. Its very nice to have you along on Justins forum, he appreciates like me, nice engineering work. And I quite understand how you must like lifting the engine lid on your car!

My eldest son runs a Boxster. Sure its nice and in perfect condition but why did they hide the engine away? To me if the cars engine is not there to admire it does not feel quite right. Your M&W car really impressed me especially the work you did to lose the points every one looks for to say 'thats not a 356'. So the extra work just makes sense to me. The Carrera look I have always liked. I think you did have a VW engine in it before?

Of course as much as I like say the fan shroud I could not fit it on my car. I seem not to be able to change anything always trying to repair every single factory item on it. It annoys me to think I have 356B rubbing deco strips under each door because 45 years ago the Porsche agent sold them to me saying they were correct. I put them on and always regret doing that. But somehow, think they look to me more refined than the original.

If I had a non original engine though, fitting some of your great looking parts would be fine for me. Its just because what came out of the factory door on my car is still roughly still the same today. It's the same on Justins car the 4 cam was long gone, the polo to me, makes a really super replacement. It will look I reckon, fantastic when he lifts the engine lid.

Roy

Roy

Roy

Comment

Working...
                              X