• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ryles,

Cool, yep. One only. See book.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

I received the below email and picture today:

My name is Gary C., an avid fan of Vineland Speedway, NJ SCCA racing 1958-66. I'm familiar with local heroes Bob Holbert, Bruce Jennings, John Kelly, from the period.

This fall I came upon photos from 1962 and 1963 regional races, and in sorting saw this unusual Porsche RS. The slide was dated June 30, 1963.
      My programs listed Bernie Vibe(sic) driving #14em. Research found its not Holbert driving (busy elsewhere) and possibly Bernhard Viehl, who had a Porsche connection, but no records at Vineland.

Further digging located your site and contact info, sorry if it is "old hat" to you Porsche guys, but no one locally remembers the car. I was quite pleased to see a similar car and corroborating info, dates, Limerock, Holbert, and then Bernie Veil mentioned on your ABCGT website forum, 4-cam section, RS "Anteater" Its funny, I started by questioning locals with the description "platypus" nose, and that term was also used by some online.

Since I'm not a member, I could not post this photo. You may, if interested still.
      I'm sending to the only email addresses I could glean, if you would forward to Steve Heinrichs and vhelme (researcher) and Chris Smith. God bless the internet!

Thank you for your time and interest.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vineland30June1963_BernhardVielnotHolbert14em.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	83730
      trevorcgates@gmail.com
      Engine # P66909... are you out there
      Fun 356 events in SoCal = http://356club.org/

Comment

Thanks for posting this Trevor.
        I just looking back through this thread and with the historical details that Steve and Gerry provided both of whom have sinced passed it really makes one realize just how much history is being lost. As Gary said "God bless the internet" for sharing and preserving as much of it was we can. So my thanks and gratitude to guys like Gary for all that they do. Welcome once again.
        Justin
        Justin Rio

Comment

http://www.sportscardigest.com/hmsa-spring-club-races-2017-report-photos/3/?envira_id=264867&awt_l=K08qM&awt_m=K1pVIVu7wOs.C0#envira-gallery-wrap-264867

Dennis Gray photo of the orange Platypus, driver Neil Alexander, at Laguna Seca event March 2017.

Sports Car Digest site.

Comment

I saw this picture on Instagram, posted by Bob Holbert's grandson Todd and asked him if it was ok if I shared it in this thread. He said his uncle, Larry, took the pic (and maybe a few more he's looking for now).

Name:	IMG_3309.PNG
Views:	99
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	90583
            trevorcgates@gmail.com

Comment

Here are two more pics courtesy of Todd. The man standing next to the Anteater is Bernie Viehl.

Name:	IMG_3466.PNG
Views:	99
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	90616

Name:	IMG_3465.PNG
Views:	96
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	90617
              trevorcgates@gmail.com

Comment

Amazing! The mysterious Mr. Viehl.

Any way to date the photos?
                (He was racing it in June 1963)

Thanks! Gary C

Comment

Thank you Trevor, Pure gold.
                  ~Vance

Comment

Bob Holbert in the foreground and Bernie Viehl in the background in the Anteater, prior to the nose modification.

Name:	IMG_0441.PNG
Views:	89
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	90813
                    trevorcgates@gmail.com

Comment

What a great rare old photo Trevor thanks for sharing it here! Bernie was actually going to fit in there huh?
                      Thanks again!
                      Justin
                      Justin Rio

Comment

Chris - Are you still out there? Did you build an Anteater frame and body for your engine?
                        trevorcgates@gmail.com

Comment

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	108153

Another shot of the Anteater from Thompson, CT 1961.
                          Found on Dave Nicholas' excellent race site www.BarcBoys.com
                          Last edited by JTR70; 04-02-2020, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Reading from Mark Donohue's book "the Unfair Advantage" pg. 28 (Bentley 2000 reissue)
                            " I (Donohue) had just been called by Bernie Veal, the owner of all Bob Holbert's Porsches. He asked me if I would be interested in driving his RS-60 at the (fall 1963 Lime Rock regional) ... race."

They could not have been close, or MD would have known how to spell Bernie's name. Was it true or pit gossip that Viehl owned Holbert's car?
                            Maybe the extra foot on the nose was an unfair advantage in a photo-finish.

Well, I found some confirmation of ownership in Post 25 by Gerry.
                            Thanks for the re-focus Vance.

GaryC
                            Last edited by Victoracing; 04-25-2020, 10:00 PM. Reason: Some more info that I overlooked three years ago.

Comment

Welcome back Gary your last two entries had me looking through this thread and what an interesting tale this is. It is however such a shame to no longer have Steve and Gerry here to contribute.
                              ~Vance

Comment

Working...
                              X