RSK Anteater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSK Anteater?

Does anyone know the production number of the RSK that had the odd nose grafted onto it for a while? It was known by some as the anteater.

Hi Chris, Thanks for joining us and Welcome! Steve H. is looking into your question. Thanks and Welcome once again! Justin
    Justin Rio

Comment

Thanks Justin,
      Mic brought me here, I also have a few questions about four cam engine serial numbers,

Thanks again.

Comment

Welcome, Chris.

I believe it was 718-048. This car was not built by the factory but was a spare body that was made into a full car by a customer. It was a RS 61 L.

Steve Heinrichs

ps---you'll need the book!

Comment

Steve,
          Thank you very much. Do you know the whereabouts of it now?

Is the book ready for pre order?

Comment

Ah, Chris---the subject of who owns what and who knows who owns is probably one of the only remaining secrets in the world of cars.

I think you can pre-order on Amazon Germany and Delius-Klasing Germany. Given how the final edits are going, I would not expect before August.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Of course, not looking to out anyone. I was mainly curious if the car still existed, or if it had been destroyed. I know at one point it was converted to a 911 engine. I have some of the original parts from before that conversion.

Comment

Hi Chris,

No worries!

So---ok---I think the car may no longer exist. What parts do you have (generally)?

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

Sorry I dropped dead on this thread. Work and Life carried me away. So I have the complete engine, As well as some other parts from this car. But I am not certain we are speaking about the same car. I was able to get a bit more information from the previous owner. The car was Driven by Jo Bonnier, and he thinks Bob Holbert as well. He then purchased the car, raced it a few times, then sold it to someone else, who asked him to install a 911 engine in it. I was shown a picture of the car by the previous owner, and have found one match online, But it is a rights reserved pic, so here is the link, http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/1960/Riverside-1960-10-16-005.jpg

Notice that the nose is quite different, apparently when the 911 engine was installed, the nose was converted back to the traditional style.

Comment

OK, I'm not sure if there is any interest in this thread, but I finally located A photo of the car.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	rs60.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	49222
                    The engine number in question is P90265. It is a 547/3 engine. Mr Heinrichs has been most gracious in helping me identify the car. He believes it was a replacement chassis that was designed to also accomodate the 8 cylinder engine, and was supplied to Bob Holbert, The previous owner of the car is adamant that it was not the long wheelbase chassis though. Has anyone seen this one before?

Comment

That car is just really cool! From that angle it looks like it could be a Can-am car.
                      Mic
                      1959A coupe

Comment

That picture was taken in February 1966, on the east coast. just before a 911 engine was installed in the car. Attached is an add from the June 1966 Panorama offering Holbert's long wheelbase car for sale in Pittsburg.

Name:	rs60holbert.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	49669

Comment

Name:	holbert-nose-1961nassau-img.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	49671

Comment

Interesting old add Chris. He was highly motivated to unload this car and related parts wasn't he!

Vietta, Thank you for sharing this photo and details. Great historical stuff!
                            Justin Rio

Comment

Vietta,
                              Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge.
                              I believe you have identified the car correctly as Walter Mann's. Here is link to a picture of Walter driving it,
                              http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/1965/Bridgehampton-1965-05-23-081.jpg
                              All of the decals match exactly, and he is based in the North East.
                              Also the timeline fits, as Walter campaigned the car in 1965, and my friend bought it in February 1966 when that photo was taken, soon after that photo the correct nose was fitted to the car and a 911 engine replaced the 4 cam. I believe I can locate another personal photo showing a better look at the front of the car. Is there any way to determine if this car was a factory built RS/60, and if it has survived?
                              Justin, Yeah, it's hard to read those old adds, it makes me stay up later and later working on my time machine.

Comment

Working...
                              X