No announcement yet.

RSK Anteater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a Photo of Engine #90255, Taken from the RS/61 we have been discussing.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_24911.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	53667

Comment

Originally posted by chris smith" post=21825
      The engine number in question is P90265. It is a 547/3 engine.

Originally posted by chris smith" post=23849
      Here is a Photo of Engine #90255, Taken from the RS/61 we have been discussing.
      Which engine # is correct? Cool that you have the engine, what are your plans for it? Thoughts of building a recreation of the anteater to put it in...
      trevorcgates@gmail.com
      Engine # P66909... are you out there
      Fun 356 events in SoCal = http://356club.org/

Comment

I don't know what engine is correct because I have not been able to find out which Rs/61 this is. Yes an aluminum bodied Tube frame special has crossed my mind!

Comment

To recap:

718-048 (Anteater) ---Porsche did not build the car and so the motor put in later was done so privately.

Motor 90255 may have been a spare; it was not originally in a specifc car built by Porsche.

Motor 90265 was not built by Porsche; the last 547/3A was 90264.

Steve Heinrichs
          www.biglakemedia.com

Comment

Comment

Wow, Thank you Steve and Vietta. Please take my knowledge with a grain of salt, as it is second hand, I am only the care taker of these parts and was not there in the trenches so to speak. A few things I do know, The picture I posted is dated Feb. 66, in the north east USA. After Mann drove the car in 65, the engine that I now possess was removed and replaced with a 6 cylinder 911. The trans was re geared and 1st gear was blocked off because the car would lift the front end off the ground. I would guess the car was crashed due to the extreme body modification.
              What fun! thank you for your participation. I will keep digging.

Comment

Originally posted by chris smith" post=23852
                Yes an aluminum bodied Tube frame special has crossed my mind!
                I thought you might say that. If money were no object I'd do that in a second, especially if I already owned the engine.

Please keep us posted, cool stuff here!
                trevorcgates@gmail.com

Comment

Mic, who is on this site also has some history with the RS/61 in question. He found out one of the earlier owners was Bernie Viel.

Comment

I think you're talking about Richard Roth...
                    Justin Rio

Comment

I saw an anteater, built from an RSK, at Lime Rock in 1961, driven by Bernie Viehl in an open practice session. Bernie called himself an " old boiler maker" never raced but enjoyed lapping at a moderate pace. He said he built the car himself, and picked up a couple of hundred RPM at the end of the straight. (I doubt that). Bernie financed several cars that Bob Holbert drove. 718-063 has his name on the certificate of origin. That car went from Holbert to it's present owner at the end of the 1960 northeastern season. 718-048 is a long wheelbase car, with a standard RS 60-61 body. Holbert wrecked his 61 at Mosport in June(?) and Von Heinstein sent him 048,less engine and gearbox, so he could continue persuing the national championship. Bill Mayberry installed engine and gearbox from the wreck. He told me he only noticed the front engine mounting pads when the throttle linkage wouldn't reach the engine! Holbert sold this car at the end of the 61 season to Herb Wetanson, who raced it in 62. It eventually shows up at the Collier Museum, pretty much as sold years before. For the first time, it gets a typ 771 engine, wbich is how and where it stands today. The photo of the car, with a kam tail, female driver, MAY be the car, I just don't remember.
                      Gerry McCarthy

Comment

Gerry----Welcome!!!!!!

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

My best guess as to chassis # of Bernie's anteater would be either 718-019 or 031, based on Bernie's name mentioned with 019, and Holbert's with 031. In today's world, I know 031. It's in Connecticut, with a new 1755cc engine (a hoot!) and an owner who drives it on the road regularly. My recollection is that the front hood area is peculiar. Steve's wonderful research has opened hundreds of new doors! Thank you, Steve
                          Gerry McCarthy

Comment

Let's see some pics of the tube frame Chris. You've started building it right?
                            trevorcgates@gmail.com

Comment

anteater pic I just ran across.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	718rsk7007641.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	63950

Comment

So ugly its cool. Are all of these cars accounted for?

Comment

Working...
                                X