904 Carrera GTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi All
    One aspect of this amuses me. it is acceptable to me to use improved parts on an original vehicle like better shocks, suspension pieces etc but a recreated vehicle should use original parts to gain authenticity.
    j

Comment

• First, an affirmation of the book to which I had referred:

"Hi, Bruce,
      That 904 book was put spearheaded by Patrick Albinet in France, with input from Barth in Germany. Bob Barton & I worked to get info on each 904 in this country, and passed that on to Albinet. Even so, there are a few errors in there. Most glaringly, to my eye, was the photo of my car at Sebring '66 (blue #56) credited to car 051.
      There are 3 other books dealing w/904's. The 1st was Matsuda's book featuring his black 904,"another was called "The Truth & the Rumors" by a man in Poland, and then there is Jerry Pantis' book on the 904's & 906's in No. America.
      TK"

------------------
      Second:
      Jacques, you are correct to be amused at the dichotomy of "repaired/restored/recreated" cars and use of "original" parts of any marque. Porsche values are making "parts cars" into "restoration projects" and workmanship/craftsmanship is tested in every case. My personal cut-off is 50%....when at least 50% of a car is retained, it can be a "restoration." When original parts (but unoriginal to that chassis) are included, my personally accepted percentage goes up. However, no extra points for NOS...that's just a time-relevant convenience in a restoration. NOS is still a spare part that was not included in the original assembly. If a Porsche is built around a serial number (as some are), then we have to decide what to call that result and whether any laws govern it's creation. "5(5)0/356/904/etc. shades of gray."
      Regards,
      Bruce

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	captur9638.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	80802

Comment

Name:	capture3116.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	81058

Comment

Name:	904gts57249.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	81223

Comment

Name:	captur178.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	82608

Comment

• Daytona 1966
                Click image for larger version

Name:	ins966.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	87128

Comment

Name:	ins345.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	87424

Comment

Name:	904gts14.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	92535

Comment

• Le Mans 1964

Name:	904gtslemans64.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	93779

Comment

Name:	904gts88522.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	95051

Comment

• Dan Gurney?

Name:	904gts49.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	95630

Comment

• "Dan Gurney?"
                            Nope, Herb Wetanson, I think at the Bridge.....note the "Wetson's Drive in" on the 904, under that- "Driver: Herb Wet"....Herb made many bucks from many burgers sold around NYC and east onto LI.
                            Great guy, great driver.
                            I loved those American Racing "Torque-Thrust D" true magnesium wheels. Later than when this photo was taken, I had some on my Speedster. They are still available in aluminum but now made in China and not drilled for the 130mm pattern for any Porsche...and not sold undrilled....and used originals are now an average of 50 years old, ancient for magnesium and thus unsafe for racing of any type. Time marches on.
                            While the angled foot of the woman to Herb's right may be a distraction, note the holes drilled in both sides of the nose nezt to the turn signals...my supposition is they were a crude attempt to gain more air to the front brakes and that the woman is the first Mrs. Wetanson...but I did not know Herb when this photo was taken.
                            -Bruce

Comment

• Agree with you Bruce
                              Herb Wetanson 904 was 904-018

Name:	904Wetanson.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	95664
                              I suppose Herb Wetanson to be the same who was at the origin of Zagato receating 9 examples of the Claude Storez Zagato Porsche spyder ?

Name:	904Wetansonzagato.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	95665

Comment

• A small history around the American racer Magnesium wheels on 904

The 904 GTS was homologated by the FIA in the sport cars category only with its originall KPZ (Kronprinz) steel wheels
                                All the 904 who raced in 1964 and 1965 in Europe had these wheels
                                Its only when a large amount of the 904 built join the US to race in the SSCA or others category that some pilots started to use magnasium or aluminium wheels
                                Some choose Fuchs as Dick Barbour

Name:	904Dickbarbourfuchs.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	95667
                                Several other choose American wheels as Herb Wetanson as seen above but also
                                Don Wester

Name:	904Donwester1965Pacificraceway.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	95669

Name:	904Donwester.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	95668
                                Regardind Bruce remark about the actual Chineese American Aluminium wheels supposed fragility its funny to see that Don Wester had serious problems with its magnasium Amerian racer wheels at the Vaca Valley April 12th 1964 race

Name:	904DonWesterlagunaseca.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	95670

Name:	904Donwebsteramericanracing.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	95671

life is a perpetual restart

Comment