No announcement yet.

Abarth Carrera GTL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was just studying the Nassau photo from 64 or 65, showing the two Abarth Carreras. I suddenly realized the second car, No.6, is serial number 1017 which I used to own. You can tell it because the rear quarter windows are rounded (compare to the car in front of No. 6). I purchased this car from a guy in the Atlanta Georgia area in about 1972 or so. He told me that it was sitting in his back yard with no engine. We agreed on a price (probably around $4000!), and he told me he would have the car ready to go when I picked it up.

I purchased a VW trailer hitch for my VW Squareback and borrowed a steel open trailer. I realized the hitch wasn't strong enough, so reinforced it and also strengthened how it was attached to the Squareback. Of course the trailer and Abarth Carrera were way heavier than anything that I should have tried to tow with a Squareback! I arrived in Atlanta, and the owner and I went in his backyard. He didn't have it ready at all, as it was sitting on flat tires with leaves inside the car from when a window was left down! It looked like the car had been parked in the backyard for several months. I got the tires pumped up and managed to load the car on the trailer. Fortunately I made the 700 mile trip home safely! (I certainly would never try such a trip with an overloaded trailer now!)

I learned that Chuck Cassell in Florida had raced the car in his part of the country and also at Nassau when it was fairly new. I put a 912 engine in the car, and it moved along quite nicely. It had the original Abarth Carrera seats, which had built up sides as compared to a Speedster seat. I took the driver's seat apart to reinforce it (the steel shell had cracked), and discovered the shell was identical to a Speedster seat shell, except the factory had just added a piece of steel to each side to give the driver and passenger more lateral support when cornering. The car was very noisy, as there was no insulation or sound deadening.

I took it to an autox, and while waiting for the event to start took my girl friend (now my wife for 41 years) for a ride. While we were going down a nearby road, the clutch cable broke. We went back to the autox site, and I told her the only way to get the car started if I stopped, was to have people push on the rear aluminum body (and all those louvers!). I told her I didn't want anyone pushing on it, so she was going to have to jump out! (We were all a lot younger then!) I returned to the autox site, got the car into first gear, and got it going so slowly that the car was bucking and the engine was barely running. She successfully bailed out onto the dirt parking lot without falling, and I drove the 20 miles home without using the clutch, shifting as infrequently as possible.

I only had the car a year or so, and sold it with the 912 engine still in it. I used the money to then buy an RSK, which fortunately did still have the four cam in it. The next time I saw the Abarth Carrera was many years later at the Monterey Historics, where Tom Mittler was racing it. Between races I walked up to him and told him I used to own his car. He had purchased it from a German estate, and hadn't realized the car had been in the U.S. and raced in the U.S. before he purchased it.
    Jim Perrin

Comment

Great story!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	gtl1939719.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	64121

Comment

Name:	Andr1.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	64157

Comment

Name:	Andr.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	64159
          hard in the 90's

Comment

Name:	AP1.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	64161

Name:	AP2.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	64162

Comment

Name:	gtl96113.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	66488

Comment

Name:	gtlinsbruck1962.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	67933
                Insbruck '62

Comment

Originally posted by 356" post=30311
                  Insbruck '62
                  Is the bonnet/hood open or just large gaps?
                  Attached Files

Comment

It doesn't look fully engaged to me but it could be large gaps. I do remember hearing that Porsche was less than impressed with the finish of these of these cars. Gerard had pointed out that this limited production run was shared between three different coach builders so I am sure the quality of the finished cars varied. They were always intended to be race cars so what the hell right?
                    Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	gtl2132633.png
Views:	43
Size:	635.8 KB
ID:	68969

Comment

Name:	gtl34543.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	70576

Comment

Thanks Vance for posting the above pic representing the factory Abarth 1013 at the 1962 Targa Florio raced May 6th driven by Hans Hermann and Herbert Linge
                          This car finish 6th overall and first in 1.6 L GT class
                          Some more pics of this car during the race

Name:	abarth42sc11.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	70587

Name:	abarth42race.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	70588

Name:	abarth42chasing.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	70589

Name:	abarth42sc11_2015-12-11.JPG
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	70590
                          scale model

Name:	abarth42SC.JPG
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	70591

Name:	abarth42SC1.JPG
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	70592

Comment

Name:	abarth44SC.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	70594
                            scale model

Name:	abarth44sc.JPG
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	70595
                            and car race number the famous Ernst Paul Strahle VN V 1 chassis number 1016 teamed by Fritz Hahnl the first owner of 1017 who were DNF

Name:	abarth50lmodel1.JPG
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	70596
                            Scale model

Name:	abarth50SC.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	70597

Comment

Hello Everyone,

Steve Heinrichs has asked me to respond to the Abarth photos provided by Porschinelle.

We note that the following cars raced at 1962 Targa Florio:

We thank you for the license nr. SAU 893 for the Herrmann/Linge car, #42.

Comment

Name:	capture97588.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	70757

Comment

Working...
                                X