No announcement yet.

718 RSK RS60 RS61

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I thought this car had some funky flares on it at some point. Maybe that was 18. Such great images you guys post. Best way to spend a lunch break.

R~

Comment

• Originally posted by Type550" post=28539
      Does anyone know the chassis number of the modified RSK ?

Andrew, Look at the softer rounded shape of the door and its gap outline; also the clamshell, see the round latching mechanism bung? Is this not a 550 or 550A with an RSK nose??? On second thought I'm thinking 550 as there is no signs of the louvers for the later version trap-doors. See you "learned" me.

Great old shots Bruce, Thanks!
      Justin
      Attached Files
      Justin Rio

Comment

• You are right Justin, it does look like a 550RS rear, but the body change that gets me is the front wheel well as it opens up near the driver's door...

Joe says he bought it from Mike Marshall in Miami. He remembers it as a special built car with engine behind the transaxle. The front looks like RSK but it's not one. It is listed in Willem's Vol I as being driven by Duncan Forlong.

Thanks for the photos and your knowledge of the 'days' Bruce!
        Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

• The "modified" RSK is no doubt a 550, as there is nothing at all about that car that has to do with the RSK body, 57,58, or 59... Note particularly that the is an instrument binnacle, which never appeared on the RSK's and did reappear on the RS60's and RS 61's...
          Click image for larger version

Name:	screen-capture-24.png
Views:	45
Size:	365.5 KB
ID:	63723

The Kustom Kutouts on the front wheel well echoed the Aston Martin DB 3s race cars
          Richard Roth
          New York City
          Amagansett, NY

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Monterey86.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	63744
            Great days for me racing my RSK 718-009 at the Monterey Historics 1986, It was the last works car, and second OA in the Tourist Trophy race in 1959 (Bonnier/Von Trips).
            Wanted to share this wonderful photo. Ralph Lauren now owns this amazing thoroughbred machine.
            Richard Roth
            New York City
            Amagansett, NY

Comment

• Were there any true rebodied 718 or RSKs that did not stay true to the Porsche design or form?
              Coschbuilts ir handcrafted renditions?

Comment

• Hi Rickie
                At Monterey recently i forget the year but i though that Porsche had 009 on display unrestored?
                j

Comment

• Not so. Don't recall a factory display with an RSK,and I have been there most years, especially the Porsche Tribute years. But I could be mistaken. However,if one was there, it was not 009. I owned 718-009 from 1977 through the late 80's, and it was provenence was confirmed with Juergen Barth when I visited the factory. It was one of the first cars that used the wishbone rear suspension, and was a test car for that setup, which was later fitted on all RS60 and RS61's.
                  Richard Roth
                  New York City
                  Amagansett, NY

Comment

Name:	718rsk7007641_2015-07-15.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	63952

Comment

Name:	718rsk0153255.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	64123

Comment

Name:	718rsknricardoRodriguiezRiverside59.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	64421
                        Ricardo Rodriguez at Riverside 1959

Comment

• Sepp Greger RSK/David Piper Carrera GS Cab Klagenfurt 1960

Name:	RSK1600Seppgregerdavidpiperklagenfurtairport60.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	64494

Comment

• Thanks Gerard! Though it would be far more tragic if the cab was a GS it appears to be a Push-rod version. Notice the exhaust holes in the bumperettes and no Carrera 2 type lower grated valance.
                            Great pics you guys!
                            Justin
                            Justin Rio

Comment

• It aint a pretty sight.....but atleast Joseph survived
                              He did loose one of his arms in the crash.

Name:	image_2015-07-26.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	64533
                              JOP

Comment

• Thank you for sharing those historical details JOP.

Name:	718rsk997426.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	65055

Comment

Working...
                                X