Spyder 550 550A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andrew/All,

As far as I know, no one has said that this frame ended up with no body. I am simply saying Porsche never designated a 550 as 550-0043. Rather, Porsche called this car 07. Let's see if the full data plate can be enlarged. I bet it say '07'.

The car got its new body on the 043 frame (with an 07 frame plate on top of the 043 frame plate. The new body was, in effect, a re-body of 07.

The June '56 delivery records show 07 to Annie and the photos of Annie picking up the car support the 07 designation and delivery just before the fatal race.

Moreover,the car went back to the factory as earlier noted, was sold through a strawman and then burned badly in a hillclimb.

Nothing surprising here.The point is: the car can be called anything one likes. Porsche liked 550-07 and that is what it was called regardless of body, etc.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• As you would know Steve, the earlier build badges were a different shape and also positioned on the driver's side. To date you have said that the body of 07 was put onto the frame of 550-0043. Before the Reims race wasn't the first time Annie saw her car. Here is a photo of her standing in front of her car (you can see the rubber strip between the air intakes). The car is not prepared for Reims or is in race trim, so therefore it is taken before this date.

Click image for larger version

Name:	img062.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	68165

Name:	195612hrReims1.png
Views:	45
Size:	518.7 KB
ID:	68166
      Driving the road to discovery - www.type550.com

Comment

• Andrew,

I do not know how much of 07's body was left after wralier crash so I do not think I have said 07 body was put on 043 frame. I think I have referred to the car being re-bodied. After Reims, some body parts were used before it was re-sold.

In any event the color photo is from when she picked it up. B/W photo seems early before real prep., etc.

The placement of the plate is consistent with 0043's plate would be but that tells us nothing.

There was a car. Porsche called it 07 throughout. Others can call it 0043 if they wish but Porsche never officially built 550-0043.

Amazingly, the car----whatever it is---had 043 frame and new body. But----Porsche maintained it as 07.

Steve Heinrichs

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	550v441.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	68439

Comment

• A very rare photo of the crash scene after the Speed record attempt at Montlhery. The article translates to - 'For after a spin and rollover crashing against a timekeeping station with her car in reverse. Ejected from her seat fortunately. Annie Bousquet had though once again beat her time of 50 km over 225 km/h'

Name:	Montlherycrash.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	68535

Comment

• Great photo Andrew! So this is not the crash she died in but an earlier one?
              Justin Rio

Comment

• This is the speed record accident prior to Reims where she was also thrown from the car and sustained multiple fractures

Comment

Name:	550v442.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	68557
                  Andrew, that incredible interior photo after the wreck appears to have this style seat in it. It that right? ~Vance

Comment

Name:	550v443.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	68673

Comment

• You are right Vance - by race regulations they had to have 2 seats. Many Spyders used the lightweight wicker one as the second

Comment

• Looking at it again, you can see the passenger seat is still there. Maybe Annie used a cushion in the wicker frame to either get some height on the seat or closer to the wheel. You can also see her helmet on the driver's seat.

Comment

Name:	12038284_970039423035461_7009463745504677030_n.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	68707

Comment

Name:	550v444.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	68971

Comment

• This 550 which I assume is an original, was at the opening of the Colorado Porsche dealership recently. Does anyone know which spyder it is??

Name:	21357646524_d5b1ca0234_ocopy.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	69191

Name:	21793495759_f538166e98_ocopy.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	69192

Comment

• This is a real one huh? Those shiny new drums and its general presentation gives me a replica vibe. A very nice replica mind you.
                                Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                                X