Mark Erbesfield
    57 356A
    65 911
    68 912
    73 911S
    66 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• PS Yes I did all this with the clutch pedal assembly in place. Just removed in pics for final cleanup and prep.
      Mark Erbesfield
      57 356A
      65 911
      68 912
      73 911S
      79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• The little things can really eat up a day's time!
        jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• Mark Erbesfield
          57 356A
          65 911
          68 912
          73 911S
          79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• John wrote: "The little things can really eat up a day's time!"

Wait until it's time to put the whole car back together again .....

Per my adult education courses via many conversations for many years with other restorers and especially with the younger Eric Wills, the reason he is now doing only mechanical components like engines and transaxles...suspensions and the like.....is due to the ability to get paid for those aspects from a teardown and a very close estimate.

The "full" restoration work from beginning through rust repair, bodywork and paint can be/get paid for......and then restorers tend to give back any profit made during the assembly process. Details on top of details that siphon off time that is hard to explain even if legit, so it just gets forgotten even though it's all "eating up time." If billed (trust me on this)the pushback from the customers gets started and can screw up a good relationship. A potentially very bad and unhappy result.

'Nuff said, other than "good luck with assembly."

-Bruce

Comment

• Mark Erbesfield
              57 356A
              65 911
              68 912
              73 911S
              79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• Can you take a picture of the area in question? Do you mean the flange?
                jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• Sorry for the late response. Here's some detailed shots of that flange strip:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6394.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	95454
                  Orientation at the front.

Name:	IMG_6395.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	95455
                  Width in inches

Name:	IMG_6396.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	95456
                  and in MM's

Name:	IMG_6397.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	95457

Orientation at firewall.

Name:	IMG_6399.JPG
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	95458
                  Sits just below the tip of the ribs and spot welded at the bottom edge.

Name:	IMG_6398.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	95459
                  Approximately 26 inches in length.
                  HTH
                  Justin Rio

Comment

• Justin, thank you very much. Just what I needed. Now if I can just find my interior panels! That flange is such a crappy looking thing. I hate to add it back to such a nice interior. The way it is designed is a perfect water catch and rust pocket. Any ideas? All I can think of is to be sure rubs are open to flow and seam seal the shit out of the inside joint between the qtr panel and the flange so no moisture can get in there.
                    Mark Erbesfield
                    57 356A
                    65 911
                    68 912
                    73 911S
                    79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• Well I started with my worst door. I figured I might as well jump in feet first. The PO did not do me any favors. The way he did the shitty repair has caused e so much more work in the end. Fist off he beat the door panel in so he could lay a patch panel over the top of the door without cutting the original door panel out. Secondly he used the entire patch panel, which happens to be exactly the same size as the replacement panel max ht. 5 inches. I spent a ton of time peeling the old patch off and carefully grinding back the tack welds, which are all done in brass. Since I wasn't sure wether brass would weld or not I tried to remove as much as possible, but the real problem is that the remaining sheet metal is wavy and thin so I am starting w a very bad beginning piece of steel. I could cut higher, but I don't have the size patch to do it. I could get an entire door skin like Justin, but I really don't want to have to replace more of the panel. I will give it a try. Worst case I cut it all back off and start over. I also removed the underside getting it ready for the new piece. I am thinking I will do what Justin did and install the skin first so I will have some access to work the backside and panel. I am sure what I have done so far is the easy part LOL. I about three hours into it so far just in preparation and cleanup.

Name:	IMG_0025.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	95883

Name:	IMG_0032.JPG
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	95884

Name:	IMG_0039.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	95885

Name:	IMG_0042.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	95886

Name:	IMG_0044.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	95887
                      Mark Erbesfield
                      57 356A
                      65 911
                      68 912
                      73 911S
                      79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• Is the metal where the lower hung sits supposed to be flat? I am assuming it is and that over the years the door has been tweaked and stressed. The bump stops have the usual deformations. The resto os the door is pretty solid. I debated about doing patches vs the entire lower panel but in the end I decided it will be much easier doing the entire piece vs patches.

Name:	IMG_0022.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	95889

Name:	IMG_0046.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	95890

Name:	IMG_0047.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	95891
                        Mark Erbesfield
                        57 356A
                        65 911
                        68 912
                        73 911S
                        79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• That's so unfortunate how it was repaired previously. What a mess!! I think that you're going to find that the thinned metal is not worth saving. You may want to cut your losses now and go for replacing the panel. Trying to shrink that metal to get rid of the waves will drive you batty.
                          jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

• I also need advice on my missing rear quarter interior panels. I have searched all over and cannot find them. No idea how they could be lost. Are these panels available new? What do they look like? Are they just flat panels? I have reviewed my old pics and they were definitely in the car. No clue how I lost them. Let me know if you know who sells these.
                            Mark Erbesfield
                            57 356A
                            65 911
                            68 912
                            73 911S
                            79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• [quote="John Pierce" post=41473]That's so unfortunate how it was repaired previously. What a mess!! I think that you're going to find that the thinned metal is not worth saving. You may want to cut your losses now and go for replacing the panel. Trying to shrink that metal to get rid of the waves will drive you batty.[/quote

That's what I'm concerned about. I really don't want to do the entire door skin tho bc it is so nice everywhere else. Would you recommend I get a full skin and go higher up on the door. But then I will be in the middle of the door panel where it is just as floppy. Verse up near the ridge like Justin did. Hum not sure what's best. Opinions welcome. As I saidIi already have the panel so may just try it. I could do a backing plate to help w blow through, though I don't like doing this type of repair. Course it will be inside the door and not visible.
                              Mark Erbesfield
                              57 356A
                              65 911
                              68 912
                              73 911S
                              79 450SL Dad's old car

Comment

• The replacement panels that are sold are not wide enough to cover the damaged area on your door as you're finding out. You could do what Justing did and purchase a whole skin and use only the part that you need. It's a tough call as the welding on the convex surface is tough to do. I did the same on my doors:

http://www.abcgt.com/forum/14-356-Restoration-Projects/14008-63-356B-T-6-Rebuild.html?limit=6&start=762

HTH.

Cheers,

John
                                jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
                                X