My 59A seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 59A seats

I'm getting ready to order the stuff for my seats. Probably going with K&H upholstery. I am thinking of getting both front seats & the rear seat pre-fabbed in vinyl. Also thinking about getting the foam inserts, top & bottom for the fronts. Does this sound like a reasonable way to go?

I might try to do them myself or I have already talked to a local guy who will do it if I don't. He said about $200 a seat labor unless he finds frame/spring issues.

Any suggestions? I have read one or two threads on guys who did it themselves but I'm still not sure. Someone suggested cutting the backs to fit & someone else said that is not correct?
    Mic
    1959A coupe

i'm all ears on this my 58 seats need redone. I've lost some of the rubber o-rings and clips that hook them all together. can you just replace them with the foam ?
    thanks Jay D

Comment

A nice side project that will make all difference in the world as you're going down the road. The foam replacements are an absolute must in my opinion and will make or break the end result. The original horsehair is no doubt either very crusty or simply fatigued especially the drivers side and no longer carries the correct shape or contoured support. Your new covers will end up looking like a cheap suit fitting baggy due to the tired old pads. 356T2 seats like yours are the same design as later b and C versions so Dick (JR) could definitely help to walk you through it. I'm not familiar with K&H upholstery? Do they specialize in 356? If I was buying "slip-on" covers I'd go with Auto's international. Porsche is what they are known for and their covers will be correct as far as pleat and stitching details. I believe they sell the pads as well. How far are you going? hinge, track or lower seat pan restoration as well? Justin
      Justin Rio

Comment

http://khupholstery.com/

I have heard good things about them. Yes I know Autos Int. is very good but I am trying to match color as close as possible & received samples from both. K&H is a better match but I need to pull the car outside for another look before I order. It's been cold & snowy so that hasn't happened yet.

I also found this -- http://www.project356.com/progress_by_date.html

He discusses (and shows pics of) stuffing the seat springs with foam on the dates 2/19/03 through 2/23/2003.
        Mic
        1959A coupe

Comment

I don't blame you, the cold makes it very hard to get motivated. K&H looks pretty nice too! How do they compare price wise? Is your interior original?
          Justin Rio

Comment

so the foam is just a replacement for the horse hair ? were i'm I going to find the O-rings and clips that I need
            thanks Jay D

Comment

Yes the foam just replaces the horsehair.

Here is a good read from the registry forum. On page 3 is a link for the backrest rebuild kit (as well as other seat items).

http://www.porsche356registry.org/356talk/1/376.html?hilit=seat%20recover

The more I read the more hesitant I get. It's funny how if you have never done something it is intimidating. Hopefully this weekend I'll start taking one seat apart. I think today I settled on which swatch from K&H so hopefully I'll order the stuff next week.
              Mic
              1959A coupe

Comment

good reading. I also have a pair of seats that I believe are B seats. They have the riveted hinges like the A but the bottom seat pan is deeper and the latch handle is a round knob on a round shaft.
                they are complete and in reasonable condition. Any idea what they are for ? I may try and put them in my A or use parts off of them to do my A seats
                THANKS Jay D

Comment

Need to see a photo to Identify them for sure Jay D...
                  Justin Rio

Comment

Had some time today so I disassembled my passenger seat. I have never done this before so I don't know what is correct or not. It looks like the seat back was never touched but the base had foam added to it at some point.

First I removed the two hinge screws from the seat base. Slightly "pried" the hinges to separate the top & bottom.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00649640x425.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	33899

Note non metallic spacer between hinge & seat base.

Name:	DSC00650640x425.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	33900

Removed six screws that hold hinges to seat back.

Name:	DSC00648640x425.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	33901

Name:	DSC00651640x425.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	33902
                    Mic
                    1959A coupe

Comment

Note upholstery was cut under hinges. Factory or not, I don't know.

Name:	DSC00655640x425.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	33904

Next I removed the nails hold on the upholstery to the seat back. Order of removal was rear, front & sides. I was able to use a small straight bladed screwdriver under the vinyl & nail to gently pry them up/out.

Name:	DSC00653640x425.jpg
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	33905

Name:	DSC00656640x425.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	33906

Name:	DSC00657640x425.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	33907

Name:	DSC00658640x425.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	33908

So it seems that the sides are nailed first, then the front is rolled under & nailed with the rear being the last part to be nailed.
                      Mic
                      1959A coupe

Comment

Then the vinyl slides off. Now I have the horse hair which was nailed a few times at the bottom front & one hog ring at the top back.

Name:	DSC00661640x425.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	33910

Removed the belts & bands.

Name:	DSC00665640x425.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	33911

Removed the burlap.

Name:	DSC00672640x425.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	33912

Name:	DSC00673640x425.jpg
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	33913

The metal frame was in good shape other than being about 3/4" out of square when measuring corner to corner. Easily tweaked back into square. This photo makes it look twisted but it does sit flat on the table.

Name:	DSC00675640x425.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	33914

Two tabs that I assume are for headrests? Nothing was attached to them on my seats.

Name:	DSC00676640x425.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	33915
                        Mic
                        1959A coupe

Comment

Bottoms, Inserted screwdriver to "open" the channel where the vinyl slides into. Pushed down on the seat to remove vinyl from channel & removed.

Name:	DSC00677640x425.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	33917

Name:	DSC00678640x425.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	33918

My seat base had foam put over the horse hair at some point. Once I figured out that the horse hair was held on by hog rings I clipped them to remove.

Name:	DSC00679640x425.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	33919

Then there are tabs on the base that need to be bent open to remove the spring assembly.

Name:	DSC00680640x425.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	33920

Name:	DSC00681640x425.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	33921

Name:	DSC00682640x425.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	33922
                          Mic
                          1959A coupe

Comment

There was burlap between the pan & spring assembly.

Name:	DSC00683640x425.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	33924

Now I will clean & paint the metal parts. No paint from the factory. Still haven't decided on the vinyl color to order. I have narrowed it down to two. It's just that each one looks like a match but in different lights.
                            Mic
                            1959A coupe

Comment

Very nicely detailed post Mic! This will most definitely help someone down the road. Yes, the tabs on the back are for the headrest's. In looking at your photos the covers don't strike me as original. The grain looks like a domestic offering and the tacks at the bottom seem too few. The original tacks on my seats are even smaller and are placed almost side by side. The burlap and guts look the part but the vinyl looks questionable. Looks like your ordering new foam pads; at least the bottoms anyway. Great post and Keep 'em coming! Justin
                              Justin Rio

Comment

Working...
                              X