No announcement yet.

65 C hood kink, new projct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh how true Bruce I had a 356C I sprayed British Racing Green. There are two versions of that colour ! Yes true also Meissen is hard to match because of the green in it I think. I have had 4 swatches from all over and they are all different.

I was dead lucky in 1989 I got a swatch from a company in Liverpool and it matched my original Meissen dash perfectly. I just thought 'thats good ' and bought the nitro cellulose. Only some years later did I realise how lucky I was when guys asked me for comparisons.

Trouble is the company in Liverpool are now no longer there

Roy

Comment

The Color Cards came from John Willhoit, Irish Green. (IRISCHGRUEN 6406) I have never done this color before, but it is a match for the original paint under the door latch. Shot in a temporary plastic booth. Not much over spray or fumes with this PPG product.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2018-02-10.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	96734

Here is the torsion bar cover in front of the door latch
      Pushed around since 1966.

Comment

A good match there.
        Justin Rio

Comment

Name:	image_2018-02-15.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	97029
          Kinda maybe, green soon. Got side tracked by a engine build for Tom Olsen.

Comment

Well it's green, 3 liters of paint in multi coats. I can't say I was overly pleased with the single stage PPG paint, but it looks good. Wet sand and reassemble next week. Should be ready for glass by the end of the month.

Name:	image_2018-02-16.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	97114

Name:	image_2018-02-16-2.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	97115

You can count the screwdrivers 15 feet away on the wall in the reflection.

Name:	image_2018-02-16-5.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	97118

Name:	image_2018-02-16-3.jpeg
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	97116

Name:	image_2018-02-16-4.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	97117

Thanks for looking

Comment

Nice job! I really like the color. Is the mist in the air from the overspray or something on the camera lens? Did you use any fans to get rid of the fumes? The reason I ask is that I've got the same type of set up and issue.
              jjgpierce@yahoo.com

Comment

Jon
                It's a little dusty. Looks bad because of the defused light from the plastic.

Make a board from plywood about a foot tall, to fit at the bottom of the garage door,. Mount a couple small fans in it. Little ones 6" or so, like computer power supply fans. Not much air flow required, especially in the winter. It was about to snow here and the shop was 85 inside when we started, and low flow on the exhaust to keep the heat in.

Cut some holes, Mount the fans , slide the unit under the door seal and close the door. I have also used cheap window fans and filters, but the process a lot of air. If the plastic tent is close to the garage door it exhaust fine. Get a fist full of those little Chinese rare earth magnets to hold the plastic sheet. Tie down the bottom of the plastic with a 2x4s or the fan will suck the walls in toward the car. Also look at where your makeup air is coming from, keep the velocity low to prevent too much dust from being stirred up.

If you only do this every now and again it works fine. I have dome this under a drive on lift in a pinch.

Comment

It's been a few weeks to cure the PPG paint, can't say I like it over the normal Glasurit. Does not flash or gloss like older paint formulas. It's nice and after the sand and buff it will be fine

I have been helping Tom Olsen, building a motor. But back to re assembly of the fresh green coupe.

Name:	image_2018-03-29.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	99050

Name:	image_2018-03-29-2.jpeg
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	99051
                  The reflection of the tool board gives you and idea of the gloss, not bad at all, will be better after the wet sand.

Name:	image_2018-03-29-3.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	99052

Name:	image_2018-03-29-4.jpeg
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	99053

Name:	image_2018-03-29.jpg
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	99054

Comment

Beautiful job and great color. John in CT.

Comment

Yes, beautiful job but a horrible flashback for me!!!

I was in a small shop with no booth, so I made one by opening the garage door and placing window fans under it. I used clear sheet plastic for the walls.

Get this; I was to paint a green Coupe in straight enamel.

I tacked off the 356 after wiping with de-greaser and put down a nice tack coat. I waited for that to set and began to spray a full coat and as I got through the roof, a big train went by the shop and shook the ground.

The door was up just enough for the top of the upper panel to be vertical and the front of the roof and cowl just under that.

I learned the hard way to clean the top of that door! I had to wash the paint all the way off with enamel reducer and start over.

On that same green 356 I learned not to trust Porsche labeling because I tried to stretch what turned out to be a T-2 or T-5 gasket over a T-6 windshield and, of course, it broke.

The school of hard knocks can get expensive in direct proportion to a lack of common sense.

Bruce

Comment

Well the kink is complete. 2.5mm gap and the alignment holes in the hinge line up

Name:	image_2018-03-31-4.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	99109

Name:	image_2018-03-31-5.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	99110

Name:	image_2018-03-31.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	99108

Name:	image_2018-03-31.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	99105

Name:	image_2018-03-31-2.jpg
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	99106

Name:	image_2018-03-31-3.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	99107

Comment

Now for the rub and polish, over all it came out very well. All the gaps are equal and everything fits. Few more weeks and it will be back on the road.

Name:	image_2018-03-31-2.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	99112

Name:	image_2018-03-31-6.jpg
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	99113

Name:	image_2018-03-31-3.jpeg
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	99114

Name:	image_2018-03-31-4.jpeg
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	99115
                          Now the wet sanding and cutting

Name:	image_2018-04-25.jpeg
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	99116

https://youtu.be/1PQtIFKXhvo

Comment

Doors hung, gaps done. 2.5 mm everywhere. Also made a couple guide pins to hold the hinges and guide the doors, makes it much easier

Name:	image_2018-04-02.jpeg
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	99228

The longer pins are just drill rod, they are for the trunk and deck lid alignment. Makes the trunk lid much easier

Name:	image_2018-04-02-2.jpeg
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	99229

Name:	image_2018-04-02-3.jpeg
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	99230

Name:	image_2018-04-02-5.jpeg
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	99232

Name:	image_2018-04-02-4.jpeg
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	99231
                            After setting the gaps, the door latch bracket needs another small shim around 3mm to get the latch to engage fully. Stock location is sitting aft, only 1/3 of the door latch is engaged when closed, After setting the hinges, be sure to check this. The original plastic latch jam was cracked, This misalignment alignment is probably why. All the door weight was on the front edge.

But it progresses, thanks for looking. We are complete.

Comment

Nice even gap there bet you were pleased with that.

Roy

Comment

Roy,

a lot of hammer & file work, no plastic. But just well planned and I am very pleased. Bob is just amazing with his abilities. The hood creases looked good in primer, and are not detectable with the color on.

Comment

Working...
                                X